2009 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
No Honda Reliability
By vq35de1 on 09/29/14 13:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car has a lot going for it, it's comfortable, has tons of interior storage, seats eight comfortably, etc.... BUT, we have had a lack of reliability including a transmission sensor and now the engine. Look into the Honda VCM V6 problems. The cylinder shut off system ends of fouling the plugs leading to a million warning lights and a trip to the dealer. The "fix" is to replace your plugs or short block depending on how bad things got. There doesn't seem to be a fix, just a band-aid. Now I'm going to have to trade her in way before I planned because once the extended warranty is up I don't want to pay the maintenance.

Wonderful Vehicle
By les_bennett on 02/14/14 10:14 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I never write reviews but after the outstanding performance of my Pilot this week, I felt compelled to. We had over 14" of snows with drifts up do 19". The pilot barreled right through. Up hills without any problems. The VTM kicked in as it should and functioned flawlessly. When all other were stuck at home, I powered through in my Pilot!

Rants and Raves
By honda_5 on 03/02/13 14:15 PM (PST)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Plenty of space, enough power to do what I need, looks great, nice features and functions.

practical SUV for practical person
By hafasa on 08/18/12 13:39 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had my pilot for 2 years, excellent family SUV. very comfortable on long trips. no major issues. had 2 minor issues one with the side decoration in the back kept coming loose dealer ship replaced them, the other issue was with the AC ventilation system distribution motor stopped working and had to replace the motor which also covered by the warranty. My main concern about this vehicle is the braking stopping distance way to long and it become obvious after driving different SUVs or cars.

Honda Pilot EX L
By n889js on 05/30/11 06:57 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle new in late 2008 so it's the 2009 model year. Came from driving the H2 and a Ford Expedition so my expectations of this vehicle's capabilities were subdued to begin with. After test driving the vehicle and reading reviews I decided to open my mind and try it. Coming from vehicles that got less than 14 mpg and going to a 20+mpg was a big improvement. The Honda from day one was very comportable driving as well as giving me the big car feel I had previously. Handling in all types of whether has been a dream especially in the snow of northern Minnesota.

Honda Pilot
By seadog9 on 05/16/11 16:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Pilot new at the end of 2008. It has been a great work horse and has performed well (now has 38,000 miles). My only complaints are: The road noise. I have made many trips between S. Oregon and N. California and the road noise has been terrible. My other complaint is the gas milage. I proabably average, on the highway, about 18/19 mpg. I was hoping for more especially since the sticker said I should expect 22 mpg on the highway.

Why Merecedes pulled out of Alabama
By blocknailhead on 05/04/11 14:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has been nothing but problems from the get go(currently 33K miles). - Gap in dashboard repaired - Third row seat back came loose 3 times - Windhield washers nozels broke twice - Defective Front stabilizer linkage - Side mirror turn signal inoperative - Power seat track jerky - replaced -Cargo latch cover replaced - Starter System Light on - reset once. The second time they discovered washer fluid leaking onto a computer behind the dash. - Check Emmision System light on at 33000 mi - TMV-4 Light on at 33000 mi. Also keep in mind the required Honda service intervals (AKA maintenance minder) if not kept up your warantee is void. This maintenance is about $750/ yr.

check your oil
By jimmyh1 on 12/17/10 05:06 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

we owned the vehicle since Aug 09 and it has ran very good. I am concerned about the oil consumption Burning oil) Had all but an oil changed at the dealer,one at the local mechanic. Before going on longer trips, I always checked the fluids. Saw the oil was low. topped it off and then checked periodically. We have 25K miles on it now and used synthetic oil. It appears I am not the only one complaining or noticing the low oil level. check out carcomplaints.com. Going to see what the dealer has to say and have it documented. Please check you oil level also and if you are low, bring it to their attention. Perhaps with enough complaints, honda will have to do something, . (

Wife's 1st honda- continued - low oil now
By jimmyh1 on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We had the vehicle for 24,000 miles and it is running good. I did notice at about 15,000 miles before an oil change it was low on oil, not low enough for the light to come on though. I been monitoring the oil level since then wondering if it was dripping for the filter or the oil plug, but nothing. Now with 24,000+ miles I still notice I need to add a quart of oil in between oil changes. Started looking on-line to see if anyone else is starting to notice the same as myself, YES they r. Check your oil level in between changes to see if your vehicle is also consuming oil too. I had been using synthetic oil at every oil change. I'm curious if other owners are noticing the consumption. Look forward

Bit of a letdown
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My second Pilot, upgraded from the 2004. Although I love Honda's reliability, the quality of this Pilot is a bit of a disappointment. Driven for almost 2 years now. I have had issues with the window's rattling from the start. Very annoying and they have been unable to fix. Seat fabric in the EX is not easy to clean and can stain. Seats squeak in the back, seat belts rattle on plastic if not straight. Overall doesn't feel as well made as my "04." It is fun to drive and I feel very safe in it. I love the large size, fits everything. Gas mileage isn't great but I didn't expect it to be. Due to rattles and squeaks, will probably be my last Honda. Need better quality on the inside.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Pilot Suv in VA is:

$132 per month*