Used 2009 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

No Honda Reliability
By vq35de1

2009 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car has a lot going for it, it's comfortable, has tons of interior storage, seats eight comfortably, etc.... BUT, we have had a lack of reliability including a transmission sensor and now the engine. Look into the Honda VCM V6 problems. The cylinder shut off system ends of fouling the plugs leading to a million warning lights and a trip to the dealer. The "fix" is to replace your plugs or short block depending on how bad things got. There doesn't seem to be a fix, just a band-aid. Now I'm going to have to trade her in way before I planned because once the extended warranty is up I don't want to pay the maintenance.

Storage, cup holder, third row, comfort of seats.

Don't use customers for beta testing new technology.

Wonderful Vehicle
By les_bennett

2009 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I never write reviews but after the outstanding performance of my Pilot this week, I felt compelled to. We had over 14" of snows with drifts up do 19". The pilot barreled right through. Up hills without any problems. The VTM kicked in as it should and functioned flawlessly. When all other were stuck at home, I powered through in my Pilot!

VTM(all Wheel Drive) Size

Headlight are hazing up. Oil Usage (common on all Pilot even in manual)

Rants and Raves
By honda_5

2009 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Plenty of space, enough power to do what I need, looks great, nice features and functions.

Fuel mileage wasn't close enough to estimates, smell of something burning under acceleration when hauling a 5X10 light trailer, musty odor in the cabin when heat is on, had to buy trailer lighting kit even though the vehicle comes with a trailer hitch type bumper, washer fluid light has to be reset (silly), rear washer fluid sprayer not working (needs repaired already), burns oil or something, oil level gets lower than expected in between oil changes. I have always been a huge Honda fan, I feel let down after as much as I paid and the little things I'm dealing with. It was a certified Honda too so I really didn't expect this.

practical SUV for practical person
By hafasa

2009 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had my pilot for 2 years, excellent family SUV. very comfortable on long trips. no major issues. had 2 minor issues one with the side decoration in the back kept coming loose dealer ship replaced them, the other issue was with the AC ventilation system distribution motor stopped working and had to replace the motor which also covered by the warranty. My main concern about this vehicle is the braking stopping distance way to long and it become obvious after driving different SUVs or cars.

safety, stability, size, reliability.

better braking system, better qulaity intereior instead of the cheap plastic. add a fridge

Honda Pilot EX L
By n889js

2009 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle new in late 2008 so it's the 2009 model year. Came from driving the H2 and a Ford Expedition so my expectations of this vehicle's capabilities were subdued to begin with. After test driving the vehicle and reading reviews I decided to open my mind and try it. Coming from vehicles that got less than 14 mpg and going to a 20+mpg was a big improvement. The Honda from day one was very comportable driving as well as giving me the big car feel I had previously. Handling in all types of whether has been a dream especially in the snow of northern Minnesota.

All wheel drive, entertainment system, back up camera, XM radio

Not much room for luggage when all seats are occupied. Roof rack should be complete with cross members and not a costly extra.