2008 Honda Pilot Value Package Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2008 Pilot Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Sort Reviews by

Best Midsize SUV
By Vanz of Tx

2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Solid on road handling, easy to learn interior features(like the Navigation sys),lots of room for 8, safety and reliability. Although 16 MPG for city, very efficient on long distant driving. The drive is so comfortable...good job Honda!

Favorite Features

Navigation system, XM radio and VCM system ..

Suggested Improvements

I need to hook up my IPOD, need to have a bigger wheels, High intensity beam lights, and improve gas mileage.

Best of all worlds
By Brian

2008 Honda Pilot Special Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We replaced our 2005 Chrysler Pacifica (boat) with this truck and are loving it. The Pilot is so much lighter on it's feet and nimble in the urban jungle. Driving is quiet and smooth on all roads and it's great in the snow! Wife loves that it heats up quick on sub-zero MN winter mornings. Husband loves the acceleration and visibility from sitting up high in the cockpit. Kids love the DVD and parents love the wireless headsets for quiet long trips to grandparents.

Favorite Features

Quiet smooth ride, sure footing/traction in snow, Honda reliability(we have an 06' Accord w/ 64k miles on it, never been in the shop). Heats up fast on cold Minnesota mornings! Cell phone holder in foldout of main console. Fog lights really light up the road.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo controls on dash not as far out of reach from driver position. Driver leg room limited, can't stretch out my left leg while driving. Gas mileage, Highlander and Acadia have it beat by 2-4 mpg.

Safe, reliable, and oh so sweet!
By joeyjoejoe

2008 Honda Pilot Value Package 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have been driving our new VP AWD Pilot for almost a month now and absolutely love it! We decided to take the plunge because of the horrible weather we've been having in the MidWest and we also plan to start a family soon. I've owned many Honda's, so owning a Pilot was always a goal of mine. I have to say that it has delivered up to my expectations hands- down. We plan to add a few extras like a towing package, all season floor mats, and a remote starter in the near future. We only went with the base VP model without all the bells and whistles and everyone still compliments on how nice and luxurious it looks. We were comparing the Pilot to many other SUV's and it easily beat them out.

Favorite Features

I love all the safety features of this thing! The auto-shut off for the passenger airbag if there is less than 70lbs in the seat. Full side airbags throughout the vehicle. Tire pressure and oil life monitoring systems. Multiple cup holders and outlets throughout cabin are also nice. Good job Honda!

Suggested Improvements

The headlights are a bit weak and potentially troublesome, especially with no auto-on option. Along the same lines is the option to have all the doors lock when placing the car into gear. The cruise control button is in an awkward place, especially when at high speeds. Overall MPG could be better.

Best Bang for Your Buck
By T&T

2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The 2008 Honda Pilot is a great deal, pricewise (especially with big rebates now) and quality. Honda has had over 5 yrs to work out any bugs from an already solid SUV, so I feel like I own one of the most reliable vehicles on the road. In addition, it has enough pep, is versatile and roomy inside (we love the 60/40 split 3rd row seat for extra passengers when needed without shuffling around the car seats in the second row). It rides like a heavy-feeling, rather sporty car instead of a "floaty" truck- like truck. Itís a Honda with great resale.

Favorite Features

Price. Easy to use voice command controls for everything from climate control to Navigation. Ride. 3rd row seat. Fit and finish. Firm, heated seats with high-quality leather trim

Suggested Improvements

Cylinder management (shut-down) option for AWD to help with fuel economy. Eliminate lower metal-color painted surfaces near front seats, paint chips away too easily during normal use. Aux input should come with premium stereo option. Bluetooth today is a must.

Loving The Pilot
By novol

2008 Honda Pilot Special Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We recently traded in a Volvo XC90 for the Pilot and are loving it. The interior is quite spacious and having a third row seat is a wonderful convenience. The interior integrity compared to other makes we looked at does not compare. I think we will keep this car for awhile.

Favorite Features

XM radio built in, 3rd row seat, front seat comfort.

Suggested Improvements

None yet.

Great SUV
By mike

2008 Honda Pilot Value Package 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had a 2004 Pilot loved it and bought the 2wd 2008. Great car and love the Honda's reliability.Gas mileage on the 2wd seems much better than my 2004. Live in Ohio and 2wd doesn't seem much different than my 2004 awd. Love the XM feature on the radio, no more looking for stations on trips.

Favorite Features

Ride, gas mileage on a big safe SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Shifter neeeds to be moved so wipers don't come on by accident. Radio cd needs to play mp3s and plug in for ipods.

On my second and would go for a third
By Lovemy Pilot

2008 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just traded my 04 Pilot in for a new one. They gave me 20k for my 04 with 52K on it. They are aggressively pricing these whick is why I bought a new one now. More importantly you cannot find a better built, more reliable, reasonably priced vehicle on the market today. It is the best of all worlds. Part mini-van, suv, 4 wheel drive vehicle with good gas mileage. If you are looking for a family car, look no further. This is one of the best cars on the market and their price hasn't changed much since I bought mine previous one on 04.

Favorite Features

Comfort, roominess, smooth drivability

Suggested Improvements

None, love it!

Good all-around vehicle
By Mac

2008 Honda Pilot Value Package 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've had our Honda Pilot for one month and love it! The stereo sounds great from the front seat, but needs the base turned up to sound as good in the back seat. It's very comfortable during long rides, and fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Nice smooth ride, and very quiet, except on noisy roads. We love the storage spaces and cup holders, which are scattered throughout the car. The second and third row seats fold down easily to provide additional space.

Suggested Improvements

The front wheels spin out a bit when taking off from a stop, but perhaps that's due to the powerful engine? With practice, however, we've learned how to accelerate without the spin.

Sweet vehicle
By steve

2008 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We searched for an suv that was large enough to be comfortable yet economical to operate and affordable. We found it in the Pilot. We test drove several before the Pilot and was not impressed enough to lay down the money. This impressed the both of us. It had what we needed and wanted with a couple of extra's that are nice. We like the room, the engine performance,third row seating for the grandkids,cargo area is great and the dependabilty factor played a large part of our decision.

Favorite Features

xm radio, dvd player, 6disc cd changer,wireless headsets for the dvd player

Suggested Improvements

steering column needs more options for adjustment on this model

Quality over aesthetics
By welshguy

2008 Honda Pilot Special Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

With 4 months and 3,000 miles now logged I feel I can offer some insight. With the Honda nameplate you obviously are getting a quality vehicle. I'm planning on getting 10 years/110,000 miles out of it and then handing down to my son in elementary school for college use. I did lots of research beforehand and wanted the optional 3rd row w/out having a huge vehicle. Bingo! My colleagues piled in for a trip with the 6' 1" guy choosing to sit in the way back. He said he was comfortable...but he didn't look it. They all commented on how much bigger it looked and felt inside than what they thought it would be. I upgraded from a Jeep Gr. Cherokee, and this is hands-down far superior.

Favorite Features

Firm ride and handling-much less truck- like than you'd expect. Some people complained about seat comfort, but I think it's great feeling of safety with keds in the car (loaded w/ airbags-and very solid) Entertainment system and conversation mirror are great for trips w/ the kids

Suggested Improvements

Road noise esp. w/ sunroof open. Gas mileage. Gear shifter in awkward location. Radio max volume is lacking. Need more mix and match accessories instead of having to choose a model based on the few you want. Climate control makes noise behind the dash- it sounds like squirrels on a metal wheel