Used 2008 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Airbags failed to deploy
By nguyenlp

2008 Honda Pilot SUV Value Package 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my Pilot the whole time I had it. Recently I was involved in a accident where I rear ended a sedan and another SUV rear ended me. myself and the other 5 passengers were all safe, but my airbags failed to deploy; none of them. My radiator was busted, but still no airbags. I filed a complaint with Honda, but have not received a response. The NHTSA is also looking in to the matter. My insurance company told me that I hit above the airbag sensors. I'm no expert on sensors, but rear ended a sedan! My radiator was busted! The only thing I want to know is where were my airbags when I needed them?

Suggested Improvements

More Airbag sensors! or maybe some that works!

Best SUV of it's Class
By Allan from Maryland

2008 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Rear Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned SUVs from Expeditions to Escapes and this was my third Honda purchase (never disappointed with Hondas). I love this SUV. The exterior is nice, nothing too special but as a family man I don't really care. What matters to me is a great vehicle for me and the family. We have two kids and the problem was taking along their friends. This vehicle is large enough for the family with friends and their stuff. I also drive this daily to work through narrow city streets. It's a pleasure to drive. Good acceleration, great handling and fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Drives exceptionally well. Great handling in all weather. Great vision for driver. Easy to use controls. Lots of room. Good rear video. Solid climate control. Okay stereo, won't bust out the windows but I love xm radio (ESPN and BBC are my favorites)

Suggested Improvements

Clearly Honda engineers don't have kids in car seats. The starboard (right) side third row seat belt cannot be clipped because the receiver sits underneath any normal car seat. I ended up buying a $90 car seat because it was the only model that had a narrow base to allow it to work. Shame on Honda

Don't look for qas mileage
By shoulda checked more

2008 Honda Pilot SUV Special Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased our Pilot in May of this year, while we like the ride, although the road noise is pretty bad, we feel safe in it and it is comfortable. However do not expect to come close to the EPA estimates on the window sticker, the last tank of gas was primarily in town driving, we got 10 mpg, the best we have gotten on the road was 18 mpg. We have 6000 miles on it and we are looking for something else in and SUV that will come closer to the EPA est. Our 36 foot motor home gets 8 mpg, so go figure.

Favorite Features

comfort and handling, although cornering is a little substandard

Suggested Improvements

try to eliminate some road noise, put realistic EPA est. on window

Sunburn
By Susan Massey

2008 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The windshield goes so far back that my hands are perpetually sunburned and peeling. This is the only problem with the car, but it is a BIG ONE. Any ideas?

Soccer-Mom Heaven
By OBXmom

2008 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV w/Rear Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my 2005 Civic in for this, but there was just never enough room. My DH is over 6' and the 2 kids are growing fast. I miss filling up for $35, but we took a 2 hour drive to shopping mall with 8 adults, and we were perfectly comfortable. We are leaving tomorrow for vacation, and have plenty of room to bring everything we could want, and we will be comfortable enough to take the scenic route. The DVD player is our first in-car system, and I am glad I finally gave in. We didn't get the NAV, because he prefers the Garmin after market.

Favorite Features

I love the regular house plug in the console, its a God-send!! Plenty of room, power and space, without being lost in the crowd of Suburbans and Tahoes. A little more ground clearance for local flooding issues than our old minivan.

Suggested Improvements

More cup holders, center middle row doesn't have one. Air vents for the third row. MP3/iPod jack. More chargers in the second and third row; have you ever had the cell phone, GPS, 3 Gameboys and an iPod that all need to be charged at the same time?