Used 2008 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

A great People and Stuff Mover
By S Oswald

2008 Honda Pilot Special Edition 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my favorite vehicle to drive. I'm not sure what is different about my Pilot, but I've got plenty of acceleration on demand. So much so, I've caught myself by surprise and squealed the tires while leaving a parking lot. I've never owned a new car before but I came into this expecting Honda reliability and my Pilot has kept up its end of the bargain. The only parts that have needed replacement or adjustment were minor and the dealer replaced them quickly and under warranty. Fuel economy is better than the EPA estimate with 24 average MPG on the interstate, city mileage is worse at 14 average MPG but I live in a city with quite a few hills.

Favorite Features

The automatic air conditioning controls. I set it for 68 degrees and it makes it happen. I love it!

Suggested Improvements

Honda should offer a Hybrid option for this vehicle. It seems like a simple task and the benefits would drastically outweigh the cost. Also, If a vehicle is sold with a roof rack, it should come with the cross bars so one could actually use the roof rack. Gotta remember that for next time.

Well built but ordinary
By mkarstad

2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Rear Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Driving in the Canadian winter is not fun, yet the Pilot, even at -45 degrees C runs fine. The traction assist will catch you unaware on ice corners and might cause you to over-correct. The get-up-and-go on ice is fantastic! Cold starts without plugging in are no problem, and the engine warms up very quickly. Feild of view for a tall person is limited by the side pillars I find myself leaning forward and back with a lot of head movement while checking intersections.

Favorite Features

The variability of the cargo space. This vehicle has great pickup.

Suggested Improvements

The entertainment system controls for front and back are confusing. The base is too loud in the back and can not be balanced comfortably for all seat locations. Coffee cup holder is really poorly located for the driver!

Just what a starting family needed
By Out of 714

2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We got the outgoing 2008 Pilot EX-L at a great deal as the 2009's were coming in later that month. We are glad we went with the Pilot as this is my 4th Honda product. Chose the mocha metallic with saddle leather seats. The lighter color gave it the sense of more room and upscale over the gray available in the darker models. Lots of room for the baby's carseat and easy hook up to the latches. Tons of room in cargo area with 3rd row folded. Stroller and groceries fit with room to spare. Engine is very smooth and eases with on ramps and passing. The interior is a little dated, but after 5 years of this model, Honda has worked out all the bugs by now

Favorite Features

Seat warmers, conversation mirror, tons of storage, center console, XM radio high view of road, overall fit and finish, great visibility throughout.

Suggested Improvements

Needs iPod aux, trip computer, dual climate for front passengers, auto lights, road noise on some rough pavement is loud.

Love this truck!
By Jen

2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We traded in my 2001 Honda Civic for the Pilot. Like other reviewers, we looked at the MDX, Highlander etc. This was my favorite by far. I love the look of this truck vs a cross over. I feel like I have a presence on the road and I love looking at the car. The interior could be a little more fashionable It is pretty simple but it has plenty of storage space and room for all passengers. We recently had 6 adults in the car for an hour and everyone was comfortable. Comfortable, fun to drive, great leather and XM. Who wouldn't love this vehicle? I see a lot of complaining about the gas mileage. I am getting about 17- 18 mpg in city and 20 mpg if I am on the freeway. Pretty good!

Favorite Features

Leather, heated seats XM, storage, cargo room, exterior looks.

Suggested Improvements

More plugs, air for third row, power tailgate.

Road Noise
By Vee

2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Rear Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

August 27th, 2008, I took my 2001 4Runner Limited to trade for 2008 Pilot AWD w/entertainment. I need more than five seats and like Pilot appealing. I have a big disappointment, ROAD NOISE! Here is my two cents for potential buyer, test drives on freeway, drive on a road with speed 40 mph or more and try to open back windows. It could break your EARDRUM. I learned how to overcome the road noise by turning on radio as loud as I can take every time I get on freeway.

Favorite Features

Great looking car.

Suggested Improvements

reduce road noise, reduce road noise, and reduce road noise.