Used 2008 Honda Pilot Special Edition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2008 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

I Love my Pilot!!
By Kim

2008 Honda Pilot Special Edition 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I upgraded from a 2005 CRV because my lease was up(we also had a baby on the way, and I am not a big fan of the new Pilots), and I could not be happier with this SUV. I am fairly short and with the 8 way power seat,it is very comfortable for me to drive. My biggest complaint is the lack of rear space when the 3rd row is up. It is also hard to get car seats in/out of the 3rd row. My husband would like for it to have a telescoping steering wheel and I wish the SE came standard w/a leather wrapped steering wheel. We will definitely consider buying this one when the lease is up next year.

Favorite Features

The SE trim level is great.... power drivers seat, rear DVD system, sunroof...Lots of storage space and cup holders; easily accommodates my daughter's Britax car seat (and they are HUGE)

Suggested Improvements

Telescoping and leather trimmed steering wheel; better rear cargo space with the 3rd row seat up; improved sound quality when listening to the DVD player through the car speakers

A great People and Stuff Mover
By S Oswald

2008 Honda Pilot Special Edition 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my favorite vehicle to drive. I'm not sure what is different about my Pilot, but I've got plenty of acceleration on demand. So much so, I've caught myself by surprise and squealed the tires while leaving a parking lot. I've never owned a new car before but I came into this expecting Honda reliability and my Pilot has kept up its end of the bargain. The only parts that have needed replacement or adjustment were minor and the dealer replaced them quickly and under warranty. Fuel economy is better than the EPA estimate with 24 average MPG on the interstate, city mileage is worse at 14 average MPG but I live in a city with quite a few hills.

Favorite Features

The automatic air conditioning controls. I set it for 68 degrees and it makes it happen. I love it!

Suggested Improvements

Honda should offer a Hybrid option for this vehicle. It seems like a simple task and the benefits would drastically outweigh the cost. Also, If a vehicle is sold with a roof rack, it should come with the cross bars so one could actually use the roof rack. Gotta remember that for next time.

My second Pilot
By Lakelover

2008 Honda Pilot Special Edition 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Picked up our 08 Pilot on the 27th of June. We had an 03 that was hit from the rear (60 MPH) by a full size pickup. I was stopped waiting for traffic to clear and don't remember the accident. Vehicle is totaled. The folks responding to the scene commented, "the Pilot saved me from serious injuries or worse". I walked away after a thorough checkup be the EMT folks. I love our vehicle. SAFE, comfortable and excellent driver.

Favorite Features

We are retired and have adopted our three grandchildren and the rear entertainment system is great on trips. The kids watch what they want and we have normal conversations, and radio channel selections. The safety and comfort is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Noise over 35-40 MPH when windows are lowered. Need a full size spare.

Our New Pilot
By Todd

2008 Honda Pilot Special Edition 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Nice Crossover SUV. Smooth driving and roomy. NO mechanical complaints, only had it 6 days. It's a Honda, it better not have any! It is made in the US however.

Favorite Features

Rear Vid DVD, plays different sounds than front CD when both are in use. Roomy, and roomy 3rd row seating. Smooth and quiet!

Suggested Improvements

#1 A timer to shut off all lights if left on after about 3-5 minutes. I mean c'mon, my 2001, Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab even has that feature, and it was built in 2001!! #2, A Manual tranny

Solid Vehicle
By T-Man

2008 Honda Pilot Special Edition 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my fourth Honda, and they have been great. Nice powerful engine, smooth ride, easy ergonomics, good feel to the vehicle. Lots of room for my kids and Labrador (who can watch movies in the back). Nice ride.

Favorite Features

DVD, XM satellite radio, 3rd row seats for carpooling

Suggested Improvements

The Pilot is being redesigned for 2009, so I am sure they will move the shifter to a better location to not interfere with the wipers. 3rd row seats are a bit flimsy, but are fine for small kids.