Used 2007 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews - 159 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

2007 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

2007 Pilot rocks!
By Kirsten Wendt

2007 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Fantastic car! I can only hope for another as good as "my little rocket!"

Best vehicle I have ever owned!
By jjcraigo@gmail.com

2007 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Rear Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had LOTS of cars because I quickly get bored of them. I came across a deal on my 2007 Pilot EXL used in July 2015. It was a one owner and had been hit in the rear but repaired so I got it for $4000. I have taken long road trips, and it's my daily commuter, about 50 miles a day stop and go city and highway driving. This SUV does everything I need it to do. It's got speed on the highway even at 70 I can punch it to pass and it reacts quickly. Mine has leather and the seats are very comfortable and I am a big guy (6' and 250) I have plenty of head/leg room. Nice big armrest. Lots of storage. I have AWD and this thing will NOT get stuck, but I have all terrain tires. I've only had it 9 months but I love it just as much as the day I bought it. Has 240,000 miles and drives like new because the previous owner kept timing belt and all maintenance up to date. I plan on getting a good 300k easy. I wrote my novella here hope it helps! :)

Excellent overall
By Brent

2007 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my Pilot EX-L 2WD used with only 24k miles on it in 2010. I just passed 100k miles and I still love this vehicle. Things I love include: 1) Reliability. Very few problems with this vehicle. Basically standard wear and tear things like tires, brakes, filters, etc. 2) Comfort. I love the airiness of the cabin. Lots of head room, shoulder space, etc. Transmission is smooth, suspension just right for me, not too tight, not too soft. Long trips are comfortable, handling is good. 3) Space. I can load this vehicle up like crazy. Great for daily things like groceries or Costco trips, and also for vacations or big item things from Home Depot or mattresses with the second and third row seats down. Also, can haul up to 8 people if necessary, but third row is best suited for children. Adults can really only ride there if short trip around town. 4) Ergonomics. Nothing fancy, don't get me wrong here. But everything is Simple and easy to understand. Buttons and knobs are well-placed and easy to operate. Storage space is good. First, second, and third row car charger plugs, etc.

Things that could be better in this vehicle: 1) Entertainment system. Basically, it's 2016, and this vehicle does not have Bluetooth or aux input. Also, the stereo sound quality is average. Nothing special there at all. 2) Road noise. Always been an issue for Honda, and this vehicle is no different.

Finally, there are issues I can't speak to, like towing and off-road capabilities, since I don't use my Pilot for these things. If I had to guess, I'd say this vehicle is average at best. Also, I live in San Diego, so I have no idea how well this vehicle performs in snow or other inclement weather. Seems perfectly fine in rain though from my experience.

In sum, this is a very reliable, spacious, comfortable vehicle that handles well. Great family vehicle, and good for hauling lots of stuff if necessary. Only minor complaints from my perspective. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking for a mid-sized SUV for everyday use.

Started off trouble-free, but...
By krazykarguy

2007 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this car in 2010 with 55k miles. We were shopping for a lower-end EX or even an LX, but the wife didn't like the colors of the other Pilots on the lot that were EX/LX. We ended up with the [more expensive] EX-L because of the color.

The car was initially operated in RI, and we used it in VT. It was involved in an accident that showed up on CarFax prior to our ownership (which was disclosed by the dealer), but was repaired to a high level, so I was OK with the purchase.

We expected a growing family, so we wanted a larger vehicle, with high safety ratings, and large cargo capacity. We also wanted to tow a pop-up camper with it in the future. AWD was a must because of the snow that was expected annually in Vermont.

We quickly noticed that the Pilot was a great long-distance cruiser, and very comfortable to boot. The engine was a little overwhelmed at times due to the large bulk of the Pilot, but overall was up to the task. Fuel economy was around 18-19 mpg all the time - maybe 20 on the highway if you were really gentle. AWD was great in the snow, especially with a set of snow tires (a prerequisite for VT winter driving). Towing, however, was another matter. Hills were to be feared, and the engine was over-taxed, all the time. Acceleration with a 1,700 lb trailer was unacceptable. The brakes always seemed to be soft and not incredibly powerful, pedal pressure seemed not in line with braking power. This, of course, was amplified while towing.

Also worth noting - when adding a tow hitch - be certain to clean the threads on the RH side before attempting to install the bolts - if the bolts get bound up, then you have a high likelyhood of breaking the welded capture nut loose on the inside of the frame rail. To correct this issue requires removal of the entire 2nd and 3rd row of the interior, and making a 3" hole in the cargo area floor to access the loose nut.

Maintenance was relatively simple, and the minder on the dash made it easy to keep track of. I performed all of the maintenance on the car, and my only complaint was that when the oil filter was removed, the oil would drain on the front subframe, making a mess. All other maintenance (including the timing belt/water pump at 105k) was straightforward and uncomplicated. I did NOT like needing to replace the rear VTM-4 differential fluid every 15k miles, though... that seemed really excessive - especially since it requires a GALLON of Honda fluid at $40 a gallon.

Now, on to the problems:
1.) While every car in Vermont will develop rust from the salt eventually, the Pilot did a relatively decent job at resisting it. When we finally traded it in, the underbody was pretty clean for a VT car. However, the door moldings retained dirt, sand, and filth really badly, and I don't want to know what the steel doors looked like underneath.
2.) June, 2014 - At about 120k, the lower portion of the right rear knuckle on the car fractured, leaving the lower mount of the shock dangling in place. Had I not noticed it immediately, it would have cut the tire. Honda did not have a single replacement part anywhere in the country, and I was forced to replace it with a used component. The replacement of that component required removal of all of the suspension and brakes in that corner of the car and a $900 repair bill. Keep in mind that this is a cast-iron part, and should be good for the life of any vehicle.
3.) November, 2014 - At 130k, the power steering rack began to leak badly, despite two proper fluid maintenance services having been performed since 2010. Replacement of this component is also excessively labor intensive - requiring 15 hours of labor to remove. I was not happy about this. This was a $1700 repair.
4.) January, 2015 - The final nail in the coffin for the Pilot was that the rear differential began to howl at any speed above 35-40 mph. This was despite the fact that the fluid changes had been performed regularly, with the expensive Honda fluid. Research showed that this would be a $1000-$1500 repair, with a used differential. We got rid of it for a 2011 Kia Sorento SX.

Used to love but no more
By sandy2001

2007 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Brought my 2007 Pilot brand new. Now February 2013 with only 64,000 my spark plugs are gone and coil burned.
The dealer told me it will cost $4500 to fix.
I am very disappointed and upset with Honda.
The technician told me they don't check spark plugs until 100,000 miles. So I would have no way on knowing that there is a problem.
It give no warning.
I was sitting at the traffic light when the Pilot starting shaking and making a noise as I drove off.
I had to pull into a shopping center and have it towed to the dealer because I could not drive it.
I have owned 4 Hondas but I think this will be my last.

6 disc CD Player Very roomy