Used 2007 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2007 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Used to love but no more
By sandy2001

2007 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Brought my 2007 Pilot brand new. Now February 2013 with only 64,000 my spark plugs are gone and coil burned. The dealer told me it will cost $4500 to fix. I am very disappointed and upset with Honda. The technician told me they don't check spark plugs until 100,000 miles. So I would have no way on knowing that there is a problem. It give no warning. I was sitting at the traffic light when the Pilot starting shaking and making a noise as I drove off. I had to pull into a shopping center and have it towed to the dealer because I could not drive it. I have owned 4 Hondas but I think this will be my last.

Favorite Features

6 disc CD Player Very roomy

Suggested Improvements

Check spark plugs before 100,000 miles

Hands down the worst car I've ever driven in the snow
By mattpotvin

2007 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV w/Rear Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Pilot was great to me. Super reliable, and I only ever had one problem outside of routine maintenance, a rear HVAC blower motor went out, which was replaced under Honda Care for no charge. I selected the FWD model after getting a CPO mouse infested 4WD model from a dealer. They upgraded me to Leather and Rear Entertainment. We average under 40" of snow here, so I didn't think anything of the lack of 4WD. Until the first day I had to drive in snow. Even with Michelin Xice 2 snow tires, I couldn't make it over small bridges, crossing a single lane train track. Cars with all seasons drove right past me. I'd slide backward down the hill. Bit better w/ traction control turned off.

Favorite Features

Reliability! Resale value was phenomenal. Cavernous space.

Suggested Improvements

The engine is too far back to effectively put the required weight over the wheels to get winter traction in the FWD model. There was lots of tire spin in the rain as well. Even with top of the line Michelin all season tires. Traction control was too intrusive. The point at which it attempted to regain traction to the cutting of throttle was too short, to the point that it was dangerous. Seemed like traction control only ran for 1-2 seconds before it just shut off throttle. Most cars fight for traction as long as you're giving it gas. Ability to lock rear windows and still control from the driver seat. Let alone, locking the rear windows, shouldn't lock out the front passenger seat!

Great for the right person
By 2bogey

2007 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Having always been a Honda guy I went with the Pilot. Pros- Seats 7, roomy, good passenger storage. The wheel wells are 4'2" apart so you can fit everything from sheetrock to golf clubs. Drives awsome in the snow and poor conditions. Overall no major mechanical problems. Cons- For the $ you can buy a vehicle with much better creature comforts. No I-Pod jack, Seats are uncomfortable, MPGs are Average for a vehicle this size. Heat went out and was $400 to fix @ 40K. If you dont need or want bells and whisles this may be a good vehicle for you.

Favorite Features

Wide storage bins for driver. Drives great in snow.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats. Wood trim or nicer finish More standard options

Quality as expected
By wiltzuma

2007 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is an excellent midsized SUV. Other than a paint imperfection on the tailgate (on it when purchased new), I have had no problems in 3 1/2 years of driving. I have the LX 4WD, and its not super quiet, maybe the EXL is better insulated. Rides through Snowbelt winters with no problem while in 2WD. The wife wanted 4WD, but I probably don't need it. Mechanically perfect so far, Nothing but reg scheduled maintenance. I get 20 MPG during my normal day to day driving.

Favorite Features

I like the large cargo area, good for traveling with our 100 lb German shepherd, or for hauling supplies.

Suggested Improvements

Having both rear windows even slightly open creates a loud buffeting noise unless the front windows are open as well. Some of the system controls could be in more logical or easily used locations.

Honda 07 Pilot
By Mike

2007 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a well built car. No mechanical problems and comfortable to drive. Not great gas mileage but knew that going in. Can't believe the doors don't lock automatically when you drive, have to do it manually. A little extra road noise also but this is overall a sound car unlike our Dodge Grand Caravan we had previously.

Favorite Features

Well built, good materials used. Great 4 wheel drive, goes through the snow very well.

Suggested Improvements

Need to have automatic door locks when you start driving, could be better on road noise, should have lighted controls on steering wheel.