Used 2006 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2006 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Horrible On Gas!
By John

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I read all these great reviews about the Honda pilot having good gas mileage for its size, well guess what? NOT TRUE! Horrible! 10 - 12 miles in the winter city driving, and 13-14 in the summer city driving. On the highway I would get about 18 mpg. Where did they get 18 city and 24 hwy? I had it for not even 2 years and got rid of it. I'm not here to only insult the gas mileage. it was reliable and I had no problems with it. The Japanese still have a lot of work when it comes to the mid-size suv segment. More torque than horsepower! Is it that hard for Honda to do that? Apparently yes. I guess they should stick to small lightweight cars. Up next for me? Definitely not the '09 Pilot

Favorite Features

The exterior is beautiful, no doubt. Love the standard fogs on the Ex model (which is what i had).

Suggested Improvements

The defrost system works slower than the turtles we all see on the Dsl commercials. The gas is just darn wright horrible, and is it to hard to make that moonroof a little bigger?

My Little Honda Pilot
By shallwechat

2006 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I never knew how good a vehicle could be until I had this one! We LOVE it! I think it gets pretty good gas mileage, 18-19 in town and 21 or so on the highway. It has just enough room for us in case we have to leave during hurricane season, myself, my hubby, my son, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 1 turtle (and a partridge in a pear tree maybe - lol). It rides smooth, shifts smooth and I have had many compliments on it! My next vehicle will definitely be another Honda pilot!

Favorite Features

The roominess, reliability and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of!

Great SUV for a Semi-Large Family!!!
By LoriG

2006 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car during the year-end clearance event in July of '06. I could not have made a better decision concerning a vehicle! This SUV has the space for my 4 small children, all of the stuff they tote from here to yonder, and our dog as well. The gas mileage does not compare to a car, of course, but it's not as bad as one of those "monster SUVs" either. I haven't noticed the road noise that I've read about in so many other reviews; as a matter of fact, I get compliments from passengers, all of the time, concerning the feel and sound of riding in a car! I wouldn't trade my Pilot for ANY other vehicle out there!

Favorite Features

DVD system, roomy middle seating, lots of cup holders and storage

Suggested Improvements

Dual power seats, make the middle row seats on either side be able to fold down (as this GREATLY influences how and where you put car seats), put air vents in the very back (we live in the deep south, and it takes too long to cool off back there), make the back window open (not just the entire hatch)

Love my Pilot
By Krissy

2006 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV 4WD w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My lease ends in 7 months and I will really miss this vehicle. I have owned several new cars including other SUVs and this is by far my favorite car ever. The size of the car is wonderful but it does not feel too large when driving it. It has great acceleration even at 40,000 miles. Hands down best features for the price. I'm either buying this car at the end of the lease or getting the new body style. No complaints!!

Favorite Features

Navigation system, comfortable seats, great acceleration, back up camera.

Suggested Improvements

Need better access to third row. Sound system could be better.

Pilot review
By Harry Potter

2006 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Fuel economy is great. When the vehicle is traveling over 30 mph and is not accelerating, the engine shuts off 3 cylinders to save fuel. I traveled from Houston, TX to New Orleans, LA on a single tank of gas. City driving reduces the effectiveness a little. Vehicle is very comfortable. We have a car seat in the middle of the second row of seats, and easily fit two adults on the sides of the car seat. We have the 3rd row of seats folded down, and have the old car seat with base, a portable high chair and a stroller (not the umbrella type, the big ones) in the rear. We still have room to make a weekly grocery shopping trip. The fold down LCD screen makes travel easy with a child. I love it!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, DVD player, XM radio, handling, engine power, rapid cooling by A/C system.....

Suggested Improvements

Automatic headlights and a radio that stays on when you remove the key.