7-year owner - still pleased
By jetfuture on
2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
Purchased brand new in December 2005. Currently have about 53,000 miles. Replaced all brake pads and rotors at 40,000. Replaced tires at about 49,000. The unexpected maintenance has been the front suspension links at about 3 years (they are now starting to rattle again...looks like they last for 3-4 years). Cheap fix though. The condenser went bad at 6.5 years. We use the A/C quite a bit in the summer, and in the winter (defrost). Not much of a "windows down" family. Have followed the Maintenance Minder program. Replaced transmission fluid at 30,000 (did not wait for Maintenance Minder recommendation). Has plenty of zip when you really step on the gas. Get about 16/22 mpg.
Favorite Features
It can haul a lot for it's size. I've put down both back rows, put down plastic, and have hauled landscaping materials. We've had 8 in the car many times and it is easy to get everybody in and out. The reliability has been magnificent, but I am very quick to get preventative maintenance done. The styling is great. Still one of my favorite SUV designs over the past 10 years (including the new Pilot). Honda really hit a home run with this car. The heated car seats in the winter have worked flawless...but seem to steal 1 mpg in fuel efficiency.
Suggested Improvements
The wind noise is a bit high on the freeway in my opinion, just ok. The engine noise (if outside the car) seems to be a bit higher than other SUV's. I think the Toyota Highlander is a bit quieter in these two regards. The gas mileage is a few less than I would like, but it is a heavy SUV (with good power). The rear hatch/door is a bit heavy and can be difficult to close. Perhaps an auto-closing door? Or some sort of assist mechanism. It does close easier if you have a side-window open (less air pressure).