Used 2006 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Just Right
By hondaguy

2006 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this SUV but I'm going to tell you the few things that I didn't like. There's not a key lock on the tailgate. You have to always use the remote to open. It feels like a big car, which means you have it's not as nimble as I would like. There's a lot of windnoise when the crossbars are installed. The driver's side window has an automatic roll up mechanism which seems like a safety hazard to me.

Favorite Features

VCM gas mileage, comfort, space, crash rating, reliability, quiet, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Rear window entry, more power.

Good Choice
By beva

2006 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car really offers a lot of content and features for the price. I love the ability to seat 8 people, even if the back seat is a little tight. I am very surprised at how much I enjoy this car and highly recommend it for someone that needs to seat more than 5 and does not want a minivan. The gas mileage around town is better than my Pathfinder. The driving decision for buying the Honda was based on the massive amount of space it provided, plus the Honda reputation for quality.

Favorite Features

Seating capacity, ability for the engine to run on 3 cylinders.

Suggested Improvements

17 inch tires for the price.

Super Bargain SUV
By JZinAZ

2006 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had been considering smaller SUVs (CRV, RAV-4, CX-7) when I dicovered Honda was selling Pilots at the same price of these lesser vehicles. Hello! With almost $7,000 off of MSRP, this was an easy decision. I'm a city boy so the FWD-only option was attractive. Honda builds great cars, this is one more example.

Favorite Features

I love everything about this SUV!

Suggested Improvements

Better tires would help handling and road noise. Driver's seat could use a little more for/aft travel. Tilt steering wheel could use a little more upward travel.

Excellent vehicle
By Karla

2006 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I took one look at the workmanship in a 2006 Toyota Highlander and it didn't compare to the excellent workmanship in the Pilot.

Favorite Features

Navigation system is awesome. Ride is comfortable.

Excited by the Pilot?? NOPE!
By Honda Pilot

2006 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My husband insisted on the Pilot 06. I am NOT impressed and a bit disappointed. The car gets nowhere near the reported mileage... poor at best. The controls are awkward, the seat on passenger side is uncomfortable and non electric. The seat belt alarm never stops. The nav system is impossible to use and has no return feature... very inconvenient and overpriced. I would never encourage anyone to purchase the vehicle. I think Honda missed the mark. I will get out of this car ASAP. I want to know why the gas mileage is so poor and the A/C takes too long to cool down and the wipers are difficult to trun off or change speed. Do not buy!

Favorite Features

Color. I thought I'd enjoy the backup camera, but that falls short on a sunny day or in the dark.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the gas mileage. Fix the Nav system faults. Stop the seatbelt alarm - let it ring for 2 minutes and stop. Put electric controls on passenger side. The rear door is VERY difficult and heavy to open. Consider a remote door opener.