Used 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2006 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Love My Pilot
By Leann

2006 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2006 Pilot new and never have had any service work done! I love my Pilot. Very nice ride.

Favorite Features

dependable, roomy, heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Noisy tires on highway.

So Far So Good
By Pat M

2006 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Leased in June 2006. So far so good. Very reliable. Only oil change maintenance. No major problems or repair work. Except for a bad back speaker that the service dept said there was nothing wrong with...it still isn't fixed. Currently deciding if I should purchase after lease ends July 2009.

Favorite Features

Seat heaters, roomy interior, 3rd seat fold down, sunroof, leather seats. Easy to drive and has great visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Headlights are too low and dim. Some controls are oddly placed, such as cruise control and sunroof switches. Cold have better gas mileage. Wish it had better radio system. Interior finish is lackluster. Road noise.

Horrible On Gas!
By John

2006 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I read all these great reviews about the Honda pilot having good gas mileage for its size, well guess what? NOT TRUE! Horrible! 10 - 12 miles in the winter city driving, and 13-14 in the summer city driving. On the highway I would get about 18 mpg. Where did they get 18 city and 24 hwy? I had it for not even 2 years and got rid of it. I'm not here to only insult the gas mileage. it was reliable and I had no problems with it. The Japanese still have a lot of work when it comes to the mid-size suv segment. More torque than horsepower! Is it that hard for Honda to do that? Apparently yes. I guess they should stick to small lightweight cars. Up next for me? Definitely not the '09 Pilot

Favorite Features

The exterior is beautiful, no doubt. Love the standard fogs on the Ex model (which is what i had).

Suggested Improvements

The defrost system works slower than the turtles we all see on the Dsl commercials. The gas is just darn wright horrible, and is it to hard to make that moonroof a little bigger?

love it
By karen

2006 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love pretty much everything about this car. It is a great alternative for those of us who don't want to drive a mini-van but still want to have all that room and comfort. Great space inside. I have sat in the third row with my son on an hour and a half drive and it was okay. I do not suggest any longer than that for adults, but plenty of space for the wee ones. I love the gear shift on the steering column, it frees up the center console for other things like my purse. It is a very comfortable car to drive and I drive over an hour to work. I love the fact that the second row of seats recline, it makes it so much more comfortable on a long drive.

Favorite Features

comfortable seats, reclining 2nd row, roomy center console, electronic adjustable seats are great! Quiet engine with enough get up and go for merging into traffic. cylinder management saves gas on the road.

Suggested Improvements

the usual honda road noise needs improving. would love memory seats and an auto dimming rear view mirror.

Great for the Money
By tmqn

2006 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my wife's SUV; replaced an Oddy (bad trans, bad cat converter at 112K). Have nearly 40K miles in 1.5 years; back/forth to a lake house we have. Also do a lot of antiquing/hauling. Looked at everything before buying, and very happy with purchase. I see the suggested improvements on the review boards, but we have had no real issues and it's the best deal for the money, hands-down. Little noisy on the highway, really does better with high test gas, but overall we really like the overall quality and reliability (with my wife on the road alone a lot). BTW: we get about 22/18 mpg.

Favorite Features

Features for the money -- cd, roof, leather, 3rd row seat, heated seats/mirrors, electronic mirrors, pwr seat, maintenance indicators, tire pressure, etc. Handles very well for a larger heavy SUV. Larger on inside than you think.

Suggested Improvements

Be more honest about best fuel to use -- used 87 octane (according to book), and have carbon build-up at 40K mi. Only $150 service, but should not happen with newer vehicles. Add pwr passenger seat to EXL model. Never have figured out how to use XM with radio steering controls.