Used 2006 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Best vehicle ever!
By CK

2006 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought new 9/06. This SUV has everything- comfort and capacity, you can haul a lot! This pilot grew with my family! I've hauled 7 kids...5 kids and their stuff...multiple hockey bags and the hockey kids! We grew up through sports, summer and winter. The reliability of this car has been amazing! Because it will be 10 next year, I have started looking at maybe a new car. I cannot find anything out there that may hold a candle to this SUV. I didn't even mention that this baby got me through a few of the worst winters in Michigan history!!! In a foot+ of snow...I only put it in 4WD to back out my drive...then off and away through about 18" in 2!!! If you only had the 2 wheel version- you would be fine in very deep snow. It handles unbelievably well. Once on a very narrow snow covered road after bad storm there wasn't enough room for an oncoming car to pass...I pulled into the "bank" on the side of the road with the hope "we can do this"...and other car passed and I "plowed" through!! On my way again in 2WD! As everyone has said- the only maintenance...normal, brakes, tires...and very recently an alternator. The warning light went off- my husband checked- it was the alternator. He and my son changed it out for about $200! (It wasn't do-it-yourself super easy...but they managed) and we continue off every day like the "energizer bunny"! Mileage is mediocre...but considering all this vehicle has delivered over 9 years, I can forgive some frequent fill ups! Honda if you are listening- clone this vehicle...it is one of the best ever!

You can't go wrong with a 2006 pilot
By Carl

2006 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Over 150,000 miles on our 2006 Pilot and it still rides like a new. Changed the oil, tires and brakes that's all that has been needed. I just purchased the best SUV tires money can buy, and I'm sending it to the body shop to have the paint freshened up (no rust just faded) . I'm going to hang on to this dependable vehicle.

We love our pilot
By yohahn_bravo

2006 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Oir Honda Pilot is the best. It is so versatile and big yet drives like a small car. We have never brought the car into a repair shop for anything more than scheduled maintenance. I swear this car will run for ever. The interior has supportive seats and after 100k there is not a tear in the drivers seat leather not even wore out. Really good on the snow stability control barges in exactly when u need it. It is really just like a box so visibility is crazy good. Rearward visibility is as good as it gets with a back up camera. The only feature I would like on this pilot is just a little more horse power and torque it never feels stressed but I just LOVE power.

I love my Honda Pilot !!!
By prazb2jc

2006 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased a used 2006 Honda Pilot EX, 3.5L, V6, 5-spd, 54,000 miles in 2012. My first Honda EVER after owning GM/Ford products. I researched this model in depth & found great ratings & high resale values. I also queried strangers driving Honda Pilots. None had ANY negative comments & ALL said they'd purchase a Honda again; that convinced me! It's been 2 years & my odometer reads 66,000 miles - runs like the day I bought it. Unlike my prior GMs/Fords, my Honda has never seen the inside of a repair shop - EVER. I maintain my vehicles regularly. My Honda has more than proven it's quality, value, & reliability. It's Honda for me from now till eternity!

I pretty much like everything about my 2006 Honda Pilot EX. A few things do stand out & were definitely selling factors for me. The size of the window on the rear door is the largest and most strategically placed so the driver can see to back up and visualize traffic behind you. I tried several other SUV brands, but the hindrance was definitely the small size of the back door window which created huge blind spots. I love that heat/AC can be controlled by passengers for their particular row of back seats. Folding down the second row of seats is super easy. I love the split in seats as they don't ALL have to collapse together. Seat removal is a snap!

On the front instrument panel, I wish there was a way to customize the programs in the information display and trip meter. For me, I'd like to view only the current temperature, current time, and actual odometer. Then be able to save this set as a "favorite" somewhere. Would like to see a little more "storage room" possibly under the second row of seats? Not a lot of places to store things like tools, large flashlights, medical kits, shoes/boots, snow brushes, etc.

7-year owner - still pleased
By jetfuture

2006 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased brand new in December 2005. Currently have about 53,000 miles. Replaced all brake pads and rotors at 40,000. Replaced tires at about 49,000. The unexpected maintenance has been the front suspension links at about 3 years (they are now starting to rattle again...looks like they last for 3-4 years). Cheap fix though. The condenser went bad at 6.5 years. We use the A/C quite a bit in the summer, and in the winter (defrost). Not much of a "windows down" family. Have followed the Maintenance Minder program. Replaced transmission fluid at 30,000 (did not wait for Maintenance Minder recommendation). Has plenty of zip when you really step on the gas. Get about 16/22 mpg.

It can haul a lot for it's size. I've put down both back rows, put down plastic, and have hauled landscaping materials. We've had 8 in the car many times and it is easy to get everybody in and out. The reliability has been magnificent, but I am very quick to get preventative maintenance done. The styling is great. Still one of my favorite SUV designs over the past 10 years (including the new Pilot). Honda really hit a home run with this car. The heated car seats in the winter have worked flawless...but seem to steal 1 mpg in fuel efficiency.

The wind noise is a bit high on the freeway in my opinion, just ok. The engine noise (if outside the car) seems to be a bit higher than other SUV's. I think the Toyota Highlander is a bit quieter in these two regards. The gas mileage is a few less than I would like, but it is a heavy SUV (with good power). The rear hatch/door is a bit heavy and can be difficult to close. Perhaps an auto-closing door? Or some sort of assist mechanism. It does close easier if you have a side-window open (less air pressure).