Used 2006 Honda Pilot EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Best vehicle ever!
By CK

2006 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought new 9/06. This SUV has everything- comfort and capacity, you can haul a lot! This pilot grew with my family! I've hauled 7 kids...5 kids and their stuff...multiple hockey bags and the hockey kids! We grew up through sports, summer and winter. The reliability of this car has been amazing! Because it will be 10 next year, I have started looking at maybe a new car. I cannot find anything out there that may hold a candle to this SUV. I didn't even mention that this baby got me through a few of the worst winters in Michigan history!!! In a foot+ of snow...I only put it in 4WD to back out my drive...then off and away through about 18" in 2!!! If you only had the 2 wheel version- you would be fine in very deep snow. It handles unbelievably well. Once on a very narrow snow covered road after bad storm there wasn't enough room for an oncoming car to pass...I pulled into the "bank" on the side of the road with the hope "we can do this"...and other car passed and I "plowed" through!! On my way again in 2WD! As everyone has said- the only maintenance...normal, brakes, tires...and very recently an alternator. The warning light went off- my husband checked- it was the alternator. He and my son changed it out for about $200! (It wasn't do-it-yourself super easy...but they managed) and we continue off every day like the "energizer bunny"! Mileage is mediocre...but considering all this vehicle has delivered over 9 years, I can forgive some frequent fill ups! Honda if you are listening- clone this vehicle...it is one of the best ever!

I love my Honda Pilot !!!
By prazb2jc

2006 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased a used 2006 Honda Pilot EX, 3.5L, V6, 5-spd, 54,000 miles in 2012. My first Honda EVER after owning GM/Ford products. I researched this model in depth & found great ratings & high resale values. I also queried strangers driving Honda Pilots. None had ANY negative comments & ALL said they'd purchase a Honda again; that convinced me! It's been 2 years & my odometer reads 66,000 miles - runs like the day I bought it. Unlike my prior GMs/Fords, my Honda has never seen the inside of a repair shop - EVER. I maintain my vehicles regularly. My Honda has more than proven it's quality, value, & reliability. It's Honda for me from now till eternity!

I pretty much like everything about my 2006 Honda Pilot EX. A few things do stand out & were definitely selling factors for me. The size of the window on the rear door is the largest and most strategically placed so the driver can see to back up and visualize traffic behind you. I tried several other SUV brands, but the hindrance was definitely the small size of the back door window which created huge blind spots. I love that heat/AC can be controlled by passengers for their particular row of back seats. Folding down the second row of seats is super easy. I love the split in seats as they don't ALL have to collapse together. Seat removal is a snap!

On the front instrument panel, I wish there was a way to customize the programs in the information display and trip meter. For me, I'd like to view only the current temperature, current time, and actual odometer. Then be able to save this set as a "favorite" somewhere. Would like to see a little more "storage room" possibly under the second row of seats? Not a lot of places to store things like tools, large flashlights, medical kits, shoes/boots, snow brushes, etc.

Everything I expected and a little more
By Lakerhater

2006 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Already had 58000 miles when we brought it. Love the power. Good getup and go. Have four kids and they like the dvd system. Not factory. A nice looking SUV. Is a little loud on concrete roads. But not bad. Like the safety, three row side air bags. 5 star ratings. Safety is a big selling point for me and my family!

5 star ratings, power, plenty of room for the kids. And two dogs. Good gas mileage for a SUV.

Maybe a little less road noise.

Beware Front Seat Back Cover
By starfortune

2006 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the Pilot new in '06 and started to have problems with the rear speaker--got it replaced but took 2 visits. The the tire sensor kept giving a code so the truck had to be taken in several times before they figured out the problem. The vehicle gives very good gas mileage on the average of 22 miles of combined city/highway driving. The ride is smooth and road noise doesn't seem to be a problem. Our main problem has been the front seat back cover which has fallen off 5-6 times in the past 1 1/2 years which entails multiple trips to the dealer for replacement. They don't understand the problem and neither do I. Honda America was of no help so this Honda may be the last one.

Economy mode, smooth ride, size of vehicle and room of 3rd row seat compared to another SUV of similar size. Ample drink holders, fold down 2nd row console, ample head and leg room in 1st 2 rows. Great sound system- -the quality is attention getting. Handles very well given its size(in dry weather).

Needs automatic headlights, automatic locking locks, option for rear-wheel drive--front wheel drive too skiddish and difficult on steep driveway incline in wet weather, better seat design to avoid covers from falling off--should be 1 continuous piece seen in most vehicles--biggest complaint.

My Little Honda Pilot
By shallwechat

2006 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I never knew how good a vehicle could be until I had this one! We LOVE it! I think it gets pretty good gas mileage, 18-19 in town and 21 or so on the highway. It has just enough room for us in case we have to leave during hurricane season, myself, my hubby, my son, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 1 turtle (and a partridge in a pear tree maybe - lol). It rides smooth, shifts smooth and I have had many compliments on it! My next vehicle will definitely be another Honda pilot!

The roominess, reliability and gas mileage.

None that I can think of!