Used 2006 Honda Pilot LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2006 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

An Excellent vehicle
By jay2012

2006 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I brought my pilot used with 45,000 miles on it back in May of 2009. Its been a very good suv and very proud of my pilot. I wrote an review about my pilot before and wanted to write another review. Its has almost 103,000 miles on it with no issue at all. The check engine light has came on two times before and found out that there was some water in the fuel from the gas station but did not cause any harm to engine but made the engine misfire and did not feel the misfire. I always change the oil every 5000 miles using the best oil. I change the transmission fluids every 10 to 15,000 miles and other services needed and its pretty cheap services needed. Good gas mileages for the size of suv.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable on long road trip and always getting close to 30 mpg if driving 60 to 65 mph. I get 23 mpg for driving 80 mph and never again drive 80 mph so back to lower speed for better mpg. In town I get 19 to 22 mpg. That really good for an suv because a chevy tahoe gets about 13 and 14 mpg in town. Very easy to services myself. I brought a honda civic SI wheels and tires to put on my Pilot and it made it look very cool with those SI wheels. New tires makes the different because its smoother and drives better. I like the space for carry things you need for long road trip. The AC is always cold and never had a problem with AC. Well I like everything about my Pilot.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the company of Honda put better alloy wheels and tires on Honda vehicle because I never really like the alloy wheels they put on the LX and the EX wheels looks ok, but when I put the Civic SI wheels on the pilot boy it made a big different and its looks much better with a 17 inch alloy wheels instead of 16 inch and its did not made my gas mileage drop. Honda needs to make alloy wheels standard for all Honda and no more steel wheels or hupcaps. Other than that I love my pilot and plans to keep it very long time.

Very Happy owner of my pilot
By Dan

2006 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I wrote a review about my Honda Pilot last year of May, and wanted to write another review again because I am still very happy with my vehicle. When I brought it the odo was reading 44,500 miles on it, and now its has 69,500 miles and its been a great vehicle with no problems nothing. Took the trip to Colorado from Texas and I was getting 26 to 29 mpg on the Highway. In town still getting 19 to 22 mpg with a little highway mix in. The best mpg was 32 and it's only happened once and the road was flat and getting tail wind coming home from Florida so it was almost 650 miles on a tank. I change the oil every 4 to 5000 miles and change the transmission fluids twice. I am planning to keep it long.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable driving on long road trips. Great gas mileage for the size of this SUV well I guess that because its a Honda. Lot of spaces. I like the bigger windows than on the CR-V because easy to see out. Very cold A/C. Good engine power in the mountains.

Suggested Improvements

There no improvement needed but I don't know about the newer models. The newer models looks too boxy and I like my better because I think its looks better on the inside and outside than the new models. I wish Honda would change the design of the new pilot because today models looks too boxy and square.

Hondas You gotta love 'em
By Mysteryd

2006 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We are a Honda family, we went from the Accord to the Cr-V then lastly to the Pilot, the change too a short minute to get used to, the size of the vehicle is a jump up from the CR-V, and the power is a great big leap of fun, the power of the v-6 and the ease of the excelaration to merge onto the highway is for lack of a better word "Cool".. The vehicle feels solid going around turns, has a smaller turning radius that the Accord, which surprised me. I live in NYC and we all know of the snow drifts from the sanitation trucks that gets pushed next to your car, they were no problem at all, to climb over with the power the Pilot. I would recommend it to any one.

Favorite Features

I like the high seating position, and the comfort you feel going almost any where on the highway, the safe feeling.

Suggested Improvements

Get a better, sub woofer and speaker holders, they rattle too much to really enjoy the stereo fully.

From CR-V to Pilot
By Dan

2006 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just recently brought a Pilot and I love everything about this vehicle because of more space and comfort. I went from CRV to Pilot which was a huge upgrade. The CRV was a great small SUV but wanted something bigger for hauling things for my small business and to tow a camper trailer. It also gets great gas mileage for the sizes of the vehicle and been getting 21 and 22 mpg in town and a little highway mixed. Can't wait to drive it longer on the highway and see if it gets 26 mpg. It looks similar to the CRV but it's nicer inside and outside and it drives quiet and rides softer than the CRV.

Favorite Features

Seats are more comfortable than most cars. I like the VCM type of engine for improved fuel economy. A 5 speed auto which helps on fuel savings and most other SUV are 4 speed auto. Easy to drive and like seeing the ECO light come on to save fuel and it's letting you know not to push the gas hard.

Suggested Improvements

Really there is no improvement necessary - the 2009 pilot it pretty much the same but it looks a little different. Maybe a new 6 or 7 speed auto in the future for better gas mileage.

Think 3 times
By upset

2006 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Ask for a 6 cyl, and you get a car that drops to a 4 cyl to "save gas"! Well it isn't gas efficient, and if i wanted a 4 cyl, i would have bought a crv. this is not a comfortable car, road noise is loud, not very roomy for anyone over 5'3". honda could have done much better, for the sticker price. i now see why it was back on the lot just after a year, and only after driving it 45 days, it will be on the lot again!!!!

Favorite Features

color, body style

Suggested Improvements

fin that clicking noise in the brakes! come up with a better idea that "the gas sloshing around" is the noise i hear when i stop. just make a better car