Used 2006 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2006 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

We love our pilot
By yohahn_bravo

2006 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Oir Honda Pilot is the best. It is so versatile and big yet drives like a small car. We have never brought the car into a repair shop for anything more than scheduled maintenance. I swear this car will run for ever. The interior has supportive seats and after 100k there is not a tear in the drivers seat leather not even wore out. Really good on the snow stability control barges in exactly when u need it. It is really just like a box so visibility is crazy good. Rearward visibility is as good as it gets with a back up camera. The only feature I would like on this pilot is just a little more horse power and torque it never feels stressed but I just LOVE power.

I love my Honda Pilot !!!
By prazb2jc

2006 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased a used 2006 Honda Pilot EX, 3.5L, V6, 5-spd, 54,000 miles in 2012. My first Honda EVER after owning GM/Ford products. I researched this model in depth & found great ratings & high resale values. I also queried strangers driving Honda Pilots. None had ANY negative comments & ALL said they'd purchase a Honda again; that convinced me! It's been 2 years & my odometer reads 66,000 miles - runs like the day I bought it. Unlike my prior GMs/Fords, my Honda has never seen the inside of a repair shop - EVER. I maintain my vehicles regularly. My Honda has more than proven it's quality, value, & reliability. It's Honda for me from now till eternity!

Favorite Features

I pretty much like everything about my 2006 Honda Pilot EX. A few things do stand out & were definitely selling factors for me. The size of the window on the rear door is the largest and most strategically placed so the driver can see to back up and visualize traffic behind you. I tried several other SUV brands, but the hindrance was definitely the small size of the back door window which created huge blind spots. I love that heat/AC can be controlled by passengers for their particular row of back seats. Folding down the second row of seats is super easy. I love the split in seats as they don't ALL have to collapse together. Seat removal is a snap!

Suggested Improvements

On the front instrument panel, I wish there was a way to customize the programs in the information display and trip meter. For me, I'd like to view only the current temperature, current time, and actual odometer. Then be able to save this set as a "favorite" somewhere. Would like to see a little more "storage room" possibly under the second row of seats? Not a lot of places to store things like tools, large flashlights, medical kits, shoes/boots, snow brushes, etc.

7-year owner - still pleased
By jetfuture

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased brand new in December 2005. Currently have about 53,000 miles. Replaced all brake pads and rotors at 40,000. Replaced tires at about 49,000. The unexpected maintenance has been the front suspension links at about 3 years (they are now starting to rattle again...looks like they last for 3-4 years). Cheap fix though. The condenser went bad at 6.5 years. We use the A/C quite a bit in the summer, and in the winter (defrost). Not much of a "windows down" family. Have followed the Maintenance Minder program. Replaced transmission fluid at 30,000 (did not wait for Maintenance Minder recommendation). Has plenty of zip when you really step on the gas. Get about 16/22 mpg.

Favorite Features

It can haul a lot for it's size. I've put down both back rows, put down plastic, and have hauled landscaping materials. We've had 8 in the car many times and it is easy to get everybody in and out. The reliability has been magnificent, but I am very quick to get preventative maintenance done. The styling is great. Still one of my favorite SUV designs over the past 10 years (including the new Pilot). Honda really hit a home run with this car. The heated car seats in the winter have worked flawless...but seem to steal 1 mpg in fuel efficiency.

Suggested Improvements

The wind noise is a bit high on the freeway in my opinion, just ok. The engine noise (if outside the car) seems to be a bit higher than other SUV's. I think the Toyota Highlander is a bit quieter in these two regards. The gas mileage is a few less than I would like, but it is a heavy SUV (with good power). The rear hatch/door is a bit heavy and can be difficult to close. Perhaps an auto-closing door? Or some sort of assist mechanism. It does close easier if you have a side-window open (less air pressure).

An Excellent vehicle
By jay2012

2006 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I brought my pilot used with 45,000 miles on it back in May of 2009. Its been a very good suv and very proud of my pilot. I wrote an review about my pilot before and wanted to write another review. Its has almost 103,000 miles on it with no issue at all. The check engine light has came on two times before and found out that there was some water in the fuel from the gas station but did not cause any harm to engine but made the engine misfire and did not feel the misfire. I always change the oil every 5000 miles using the best oil. I change the transmission fluids every 10 to 15,000 miles and other services needed and its pretty cheap services needed. Good gas mileages for the size of suv.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable on long road trip and always getting close to 30 mpg if driving 60 to 65 mph. I get 23 mpg for driving 80 mph and never again drive 80 mph so back to lower speed for better mpg. In town I get 19 to 22 mpg. That really good for an suv because a chevy tahoe gets about 13 and 14 mpg in town. Very easy to services myself. I brought a honda civic SI wheels and tires to put on my Pilot and it made it look very cool with those SI wheels. New tires makes the different because its smoother and drives better. I like the space for carry things you need for long road trip. The AC is always cold and never had a problem with AC. Well I like everything about my Pilot.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the company of Honda put better alloy wheels and tires on Honda vehicle because I never really like the alloy wheels they put on the LX and the EX wheels looks ok, but when I put the Civic SI wheels on the pilot boy it made a big different and its looks much better with a 17 inch alloy wheels instead of 16 inch and its did not made my gas mileage drop. Honda needs to make alloy wheels standard for all Honda and no more steel wheels or hupcaps. Other than that I love my pilot and plans to keep it very long time.

2006 honda pilot LX 4WD
By joeking79

2006 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchase my suv brand new...After putting 76k miles the car still drives really good. Just the regular maintenance and haven't have any problems. I notice a few a bad reviews about the SUV. Would it be possible that previous owner did a bad job on maintenance. I always follow the maintenance minder which saves me a lot of money. Sometimes dealership want you offer all this extra maintenance which does not require you to do it. I used to drive a X5 but the maintenance and gas killed me. I have no kids but i always enjoy driving SUV. A friend of mine drives a 2006 LEXUS GX470. I still like the ride on my awesome PILOT.