2005 Honda Pilot Consumer Review: Almost a Jeep

2005 Honda Pilot - Consumer Review

EX 4dr SUV (3.5L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic)

Almost a Jeep
By crm on

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the Pilot used to replace a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. Slid the Pilot on ice into a fence (minimal damage - breakaways and scratches only!), and rented my old favorite (Jeep) while being repaired -- found out I missed the Pilot so much! Solid vehicle, so far very reliable! Gas mileage depends upon my foot - have gotten 19.5mpg around town and 24mpg highway when driving carefully, but the 255hp is too tempting! So I average 18/22 instead! Am VERY happy for around town, long trips, family adventures - fits everything we do!

Favorite Features

Seating capacity, cargo room, 255hp, large feel without the large vehicle, sound system, cup holders, reliability, safety features, 4x4 locker, road clearance, solid driving - almost everything! With new tires it always feels safe to drive in any weather!

Suggested Improvements

Factory tires awful in rain/snow. Thought I had brake issues - turned out to be the tires! Replaced with mid- range tires and no more problems!! Would like tighter steering. 2nd row seats fold almost flat but not quite... Can't lock doors to warm up in the winter - risk of theft if left unattended