After the love is gone
By No More Hondas? on
2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
I too used to think Honda was the best. Until our 2005 Pilot came to a sudden halt on the Dan Ryan. Lucky for us, it was at 1 a.m.. The transmission failed. Just. Like. That. No lights or warning. 73,200 miles. Of course we got the pleasure of paying for it. No help from Honda like the 2003 people. Before that we enjoyed ABS that locked up, tire pressure sensors that dealer quit trying to fix, peeling bumper paint, leaking doors that stink & gas mileage was a joke. We ditched it after we were told the engine was next to go. BTW, the dealer did all the routine man. on it. Hope you are all still Honda fans when your trans. goes out. Read the forums here. Not pretty.
Favorite Features
Color combo, cargo great if you give up 3rd row, not a mini-van.
Suggested Improvements
Working transmissions, less plastic inside, brakes that work, honesty about gas mileage, usable 3rd row seats, better speakers, less road noise, windows and doors that do not allow water in. Tire sensors that are correct.
By thor70
on 12/23/11 06:01 AM (PST)

Boy do I feel your pain! Bought our 2005 Pilot brand new (3 new Honda from same dealer) and were planning to keep it for at least 200,000 miles. We too had the brake issues which they could not replicate at the dealer-the kicker was trying to stop at a four way stop sign and going straight through it with my the bake pedal on the floor. Funny-they quickly found that the power assist was faulty and needed replaced... I have had the "shuddering" problem and was told it must be my tires so I had very expensive new tires put on and still it must have been my imagination they didn't feel any shudder. Six months ago at 98,000 I get the dreaded blinking D light and they install a 4th gear switch to the tune of $400-I get 3 miles down the raod and it happens all over again-they say-guess the part was faulty and put a new one in. Three days ago at 112,000 I'm two miles from home and all of the sudden out of nowhere (no idiot lights) the engine revs completely redlining and comes to a screeching halt. If I would have been on the highway it may have been a bigger disaster. Tow it to the dealer-blown radiator and transmission-price to fix a 6 year old car? $7000. Are you kidding me? Loyal customer and you offer me nothing. Walked across the street bought a Subaru Forrester and the Pilot is still sitting at the Honda dealership. NEVER again. This was my 5th Honda-3 brand new and 3 used over the course of 20 years.