Used 2005 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Very Pleased
By donl

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have driven vehicle off road and in snow without incident. Very comfortable for me whereas most cars bother my back driving for extended periods. Mileage as advertised. First vehicle owned that required absolutely no warranty work.

Handling and comfort

Replace foot activated emergency brake with simple hand lever. Move column shift back to console where it belongs.

Out of control Pilot
By JD

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Pilot EX for almost three years. Overall I've been very happy with it but I've had two unexpected problems within the past couple months. The starter died and was luckily covered by Honda of America and most recently when I was driving on the interstate doing around 50MPH on dry pavement, the vehicle lost control after I switched lanes to avoid a car that cut in front of me. This resulted in a crash off the road. I have no idea what caused this crash. Maybe ESC would have prevented this incident. The vehicle didn't roll and unfortunately it wasn't a total loss. Once a car is taken apart, it's never the same.

Perfect size for a family with two kids. Comfortable quiet ride.

Sunroof on EX and ESC.

2005 Pilot LX AWD
By rjg

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very disappointed in this vehicle! Extremely loud road noise - hard to hear on cell phones. Poorly designed climate and radio controls. No automatic headlights, etc. What was I thinking?

Engine and transmission smoothness and size of vehicle.

Reduce road noise and bring convenience features up to speed with similar vehicles.

A Good Mid Size SUV
By DRoe

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

First Honda and switched from Amer. cars due to all the repair problems we experienced with them. We have really enjoyed the car. Very reliable. Good ride (suspension) considering it is a SUV. A few weird electrical quirks, but nothing to repair yet! I have had much worse. Uncomfortable to reach radio controls from seat, not ergonomically friendly. Most interior features very basic considering price range. Gas mileage decent and has great acceleration. Some occasional shifting confusion from trans can make for rough shifting. I had checked and told no prob, just the way it is. At this point, I would consider another and definetly like Honda.

Third row seat. Acceleration. Good suspension considering its a SUV. Decent mileage.

For the price range, lacks some common amenities like dash light adjustment, seek/scan on radio, auto head lights, compass, etc. Ergonomics of reaching the radio on dash are not good. Front Head rests need new design. Seat comfort is fair. Needs Improved features for this price range.

I like my Pilot
By Honda Guy

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Pilot used with about five thousand miles on it. We've had it two years and absolutely no problems. We live in SC. We drove it to Oregon and back this July (100 degrees plus out west). We drove back in three days with sightseeing in Utah. It handled and drove like a dream. There were three of us and our stuff. The engine has great power and does 80 with ease. Gas mileage was as advertised. Stability control saved me from an accident on a five-lane through Charlotte, NC when the guy in the lane to my left started to pull into my lane before he looked, and I instinctively yanked the steering wheel to the right to get away. I would have lost control of a lesser vehicle.

Engine, transmission, and stability control are my favorites. But I have to say, I like the whole package. It's comfortable, rides quiet and smooth, gets expected gas mileage.

It would be nice if the second row seats laid flat, like the third row seats. They angle upward toward the front. Otherwise, I like it like it is. It's a quality SUV we hope to keep for many more miles.