2005 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
Just an "OK"
By Focl on 02/10/07 06:40 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car didn't live up to my expectations. It's my first Honda and I was surprised that the cockpit has several ergonomic issues. The automatic transmission has the strangest kick down I've ever experienced. It feels like someone's putting on the brakes. Speaking of brakes, the ABS system kick in way too early when braking easy on wet roads causing the car to skid forward much further than you expect it too! Very scary in light snow or rain!!! Every time you step on the brake you get a loud thumping in the rear which is undoubtedly the gas slapping the inside of the tank (annoying).

A Great Midsize SUV
By Very Good SUV on 02/07/07 06:26 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Pilot is an awesome midsize SUV. Although built like a car, it's very sturdy, solid feeling. Very refined. Strong engine power w/smooth transmission. Gas mileage is very good if you don't gun the throttle. With 5 people (some large sizes included) and some light gear, I've managed to get 21.4 on a 360 mile round trip doing speeds up to 80 mpg. Very good for its size indeed. Quiet on the go. Super visibility and comfort to spare. Good handling with firm but comfortable ride. You should definitely check out the Pilot if in the market for midsize SUV. Glad this one is mine.

Awesome midsize SUV
By PilotN In Richmond on 01/14/07 08:59 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just recently purchased my gentle used Pilot and been enjoying it ever since. Had a little over 16k miles and seem brand new. Very tight construction. Much better mileage than you would expect for it's size. Very spacious, storage galore. Firm but comfortable ride. Quiet cabin and even still with windows open, impressive. Awesome engine and 5 speed. Silky smooth running. Typical Honda quality aplenty.

Great SUV
By boris on 01/06/07 11:39 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is second Pilot I have. It suits me perfectly. Plenty of space in a front (I call it my second office). I need to put seats down and up quite often - itÂ’s easy and convenient and creates plenty of flat space. Occasionally we use 3rd row - access is not great, but doable.

One of the Best
By Kenny Dodson on 12/04/06 19:04 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This has been one one the best vehicles I have ever owned( strike that.... It is THE best) I traded in my Lexus RX300 because I needed a larger vehicle ( my son made the family number 5 and the Lexus just became too small). I was kind of second guessing myself at the beginning thinking I should have stayed with another, larger Lexus( but the price was astronomical for the Lexus 450) so I finally decided on the Honda Pilot. Man, after owning this car for a year and a half, this was only a lease but at the end of this lease option I am definitely keeping this car in the family. Comfort, size, safety and driving stability all makes this car a must have.

Comfortable & roomy
By Shay on 08/07/06 04:31 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Pilot EX w/ Leather & Nav system. It gets better mileage than I thought it would ranging from 22-28 mpg on the freeway. I have driven from the Bay area, CA to Seattle 3 times now and only filled it up 2 times. The nav system never lets me get lost. Been to Tahoe quite a few times & just breezed through the chain requirements w/ the AWD & had no problems. I have had a Civic & Accord in the past so figured Honda would be a good choice for the SUV. SOOOO ROOMY too. I have moved twice only using my Pilot. I packed so much stuff into & on it. Very mechanically reliable too. Owned it since 01/2005. Couldn't be happier. Best automobile I have EVER owned. Would buy again!

Comfortable and a workhorse
By Debra on 07/24/06 17:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have always liked my Honda Pilot, but a recent long trip really showed what this car can do. I had a class-3 trailer hitch installed and pulled a 6x12 U-haul trailer full of furniture and household goods from New Orleans to New York City. My Pilot had no trouble pulling this load in the mountains or in the city. It was my first time to pull a trailer, but I felt safe with my Pilot. I was warned to watch the temperature gauge in the mountains, but the needle never wavered off the "normal" level. Going down mountains with that heavy trailer behind me, I put the Pilot in D3 and never had to touch my brakes to keep my speed down. The Pilot really performed well for me on this trip.

2005 Pilot
By George Davis on 07/24/06 13:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have owned this vehicle since December of 2004. We routinely travel from Detroit Metro area to Appleton WI. The trip is almost 500 miles and I make it on one tank of fuel. Not bad considering I make the trip in 6 hours or less. The vehicle is over 18 months old. It has never had a failure of any sort. It is the most practical vehicle I have ever owned.

Fun & reasonably inexpensive to operate
By Isabelle Hafner-Youn on 07/24/06 11:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I pack everything but the kitchen into my Pilot and then it holds some more. Handles and rides as good as my Accord or Civic Hatchback my commuter car. Much smoother riding than my daughter's 4 Runner and takes reg gas. We moved 17 rescued animals, 2 humans and supplies and was hauling a full trailer from California to Arkansas and survived being driven off the road into a ravine by a 4-wheeler. Pilot remained upright in the ravine and we had not a scratch on it or us. Trailer twisted side ways and was a mess but the Pilot stood firm. Other drivers were astounded. We love it!

05' Pilot EX does the job.
By Coogs on 07/21/06 21:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the ride, drives better than most cheap cars around. AWD is great, but this baby needs wider tires, and better performing tires. Snow falls less than 9"inches are a breeze. With the big northeaster though, better tires were needed. I'm not sure about the fuel economy because I'm usually revving highs and driving stop and go a lot. The truck is as reliable as can be. Engine performance is great, wish the tranny was a 6 speed though. Handling is good for a 4400 pound vehicle but bigger tires and rims would help close the gap between SUV and car like handling.