Used 2005 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Fun and Functional SUV
By Dottie

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Pilot to replace a Yukon XL. We test drove the Pilot and fell in love! The dealership was a breeze to do business with, we got an excellent deal. The ride of the Pilot is so smooth and the shifting of the vehicle is hardly noticable, huge plus from the Yukon. We have two children and they LOVE this SUV! Both have lots of room and seating choices...they DON'T have to sit by each other. The DVD system is a lifesaver on long roadtrips. We can't say enuf about our Pilot!

Favorite Features

LOVE the sunroof and the fact that I control the DVD, the wireless headphones are nice too! The smooth shifting is wonderful as is the ride. The 9 cupholders is every mother's dream and all the cubbies are a plus also. We also like the consol design, easy to reach and use.

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice to have seperate A/C- heater controls for the driver and passenger. The radio/DVD should be easier to master. Side airbags would be a HUGE improvement for this vehicle!!!! Improved fuel economy would be nice also, maybe a hybrid????

Its a keeper
By Weather Lady

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Pilot about a year or so ago, and still love it. Its reliable, quiet, and comfortable. Only fault so far is with the seat control panel on the left side of driver's seat; we are on the 2nd replacement; seems that the movement of getting in/out knocks it off the seat. Just a minor thing, but an convenience.

Favorite Features

Where to start? Great seating and leg room, especially with the 3rd row seating stowed away. Love the quick down/up feature on driver's window.

Suggested Improvements

Do away with the 3rd row seating - unless you really have a large crew, it isn't necessary - make it an option!

Lovin my Pilot
By LASHAE

2005 Honda Pilot LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a Honda CR-V in October of 1998. I purchased the Honda because of its reputation and I needed more room for my 2 growing children. Well this year I decided to make a new purchase, I wanted to keep my CR-V because it was paid for but decided against it for personal reasons. So... I traded it in for my 2005 Honda Pilot. Best decision I have made thus far this year. I am totally satisfied with the Pilot and I plan to make Honda a family tradition for myself and my children. I never had a day of trouble from my CR-V, change the oil , brakes and tires and that was it, I was and am truely satisfied with Honda. Next time I am going to get fully loaded, leather seats, and navigation.!

Favorite Features

3rd row seats, 3 point seat belts for everyone, extra storage in front between seats.

Suggested Improvements

cant think of anything right now, I have owned my Pilot for 2 weeks.

I Love This Car!!!
By Melan226

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have wanted the Pilot for over a year now. My husband bought me one and I love this car. It is comfortable and fun to drive. Lots of room inside for the kids. So much comes standard on this car. My only complaint would be that I don't get that great of gas mileage. It said 17-22. I drive streets and only average about 13-14 mpg. WhenI do drive the freeway, I get good mileage. Everything I was looking for in a car.

Favorite Features

6 disc in dash changer, 3rd row seat, comfort and color (sage brush pearl)

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage

Am Happy
By Paul Gilbert

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I replaced my '94 Cad Seville and '99 Honda CRV with an '05 Pilot EXL a few months ago. So far so good.Have paid more for cars but think this may be indeed the best car I've ever owned overall. It is quieter than the CRV although still noisy on certain road surfaces, and doesn't get the fuel economy the Seville did (25+ mpg on the highway with 91 octane vs about 21 with 89 for the Pilot so probably a push cost wise? But worse than the CRV overall for sure. Worth it though overall I think because it is quiet enough I can listen to the radio at highway speeds--not possible in the CRV--and a much more comfortable ride. Will be adding a Toyota Avalon to my "fleet" for reasons unimportant to you.

Favorite Features

Expected Honda reliability. My 6 year old CRV was original except for recently replaced WW blades. I expect no less with the Pilot. Great visibility on the road because of it's height. Comfortable driving experience and adequate power for most of my needs for sure.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise is still a problem with Honda's it seems. And styling isn't a high priority either. Overall I like the way Honda markets their cars with few options, but still am looking into a Toyota Avalon in the next few months to add to--not replace--my Pilot--for personal reasons.