2005 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews 3

2005 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
All wheel drive
By Pedro Cortez on 07/16/09 08:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The car is great. Except the All wheel drive maintenance! I change the engine oil every 3K, but the differential HAS to be changed every 5K (6K). This is pricey at every other oil change. Other than that, I would probably buy another one, in 12 years. I also found and replaced the air filter with a cold air intake. A little bit better gas mileage, and bit better performance off the line.

Quintessential Honda Engineering
By Bryan Lienesch on 06/16/09 11:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The powerful 3.5-liter, V6 engine gives the Pilot as much pickup as any Mid-size SUV out there without hurting fuel economy. A spacious cockpit gives the Pilot's pilot roomy comfort whether they are 5'4" or 6'8". Functionality lets you flip seats up our down in seconds to meet whatever your demands are. But perhaps best of all, the Pilot rides smooth and is one of the more reliable models from a typically very reliable company. All in all, from its beautiful, edgy body to its fast and reliable engine, the Pilot will give you fun and let you keep it with few snags along the way. Maintain this vehicle religiously and the routine maintenance will be the only shop time it sees!

Almost a Jeep
By crm on 04/04/09 11:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the Pilot used to replace a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. Slid the Pilot on ice into a fence (minimal damage - breakaways and scratches only!), and rented my old favorite (Jeep) while being repaired -- found out I missed the Pilot so much! Solid vehicle, so far very reliable! Gas mileage depends upon my foot - have gotten 19.5mpg around town and 24mpg highway when driving carefully, but the 255hp is too tempting! So I average 18/22 instead! Am VERY happy for around town, long trips, family adventures - fits everything we do!

Best SUV I have ever had.
By John on 02/16/09 10:54 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this 2005 EX-L to replace a 2003 Pilot. After 57,00 miles, this has been the best driving SUV I have ever owned. The power was surprisingly peppy. It is easy to maneuver and drives more like a car than a truck. I am having a difficult time justifying paying up for a 2009 Pilot that weighs 177 pounds more, 3ft pounds more torque, but 5 less horsepower (250 vs 255). I added the tow package on myself and tow my motorcycles, Waverunner, and loaded utility trailer weighing 2000#+ with ease through Wisconsin hills. I bought an aftermarket Garmin GPS and don't really miss any of the other new gadgets. We have had a few minor problems that were covered by the warranty. Great in snow/ice.

Solid Vehicle
By Steve on 02/01/09 07:47 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This an extremely solid vehicle. I really have no complaints. I live in Michigan where we get a lot of snow and ice. It's nearly impossible to get this car to slip or slide. It has more than enough cargo space, yet it doesn't feel like an enormous vehicle when you're in it. I did have to have a power window motor replaced, but it was covered under warranty. Other than that, I haven't had so much as a hiccup through 53,000 miles. The only issue I have is that the Pilot is kind of boring. There's nothing exciting about the interior or exterior design, but I can think of much worse problems to have.

The Best
By Mark Mitchell on 11/23/08 07:47 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a terrific vehicle. It rides well, handles well, has lots of room and has every feature you need. Reliability is top notch and you can't beat the value.

Great SUV
By Tom on 11/06/08 14:34 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love this car. Just had an accident that totaled it and I'm going to buy another one. Reliable, comfortable, quiet, fits 8 passengers (as longs as some are kids).

Best SUV if you have small kids
By Sam on 11/04/08 22:23 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife hates to drive a minivan, so we end up buying the Honda Pilot. This vehicle is so spacious inside that you can bring along almost anything from big tents to huge coolers. This is the ideal car to take to the beach or go camping. For everyday use, this vehicle performs like any other car. But when you need to go pick up big stuff at home depot or lowe's , then this car will give you a smile that lasts all day.

Safety is questionable
By ex on 07/30/08 19:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 05 Honda Pilot would come to a grinding halt without warning. The incidents occurred 3 times - 2 from taking off from a stop light and the 3rd time while driving a 55 mph. I was lucking all three cases that the individuals behind me were paying close attention.

2005 Honda Pilot EX-L-RES
By charles on 06/28/08 19:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

First of two new Pilots we own. Bought a 2007 just because of how great this vehicle performs. We are a tall family and like the expansive window area. This one was hit(at 33000mi) in the rear by a '06 Infinity G35x. Totaled the Infinity but only damaged the rear bumper, tailgate, exhaust, driver, passenger seat and cross member. Honda repaired and drives straight as an arrow. Still very reliable at 49,000 mi. Need tires by winter(dealer say most pilots tires do not last this long-We drive city/hwy and mountain roads) Get 20 mpg with air conditioning on or off.