2005 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
2005 Pilot reflections after 80,000
By Peter Fauerbach on 08/20/10 15:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Two areas of concern: poor sound system (need to fiddle, fiddle, fiddle with dials when switching from talk to music), and tailgate height when open. Other than those, it is a strong value. Very capable in icy snowy conditions.

Love this car. Hate the mileage
By EGuy78 on 08/19/10 19:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my favorite car that I've ever owned. I love everything about it, except the mileage. But, I'm willing to look past that! Love the center console in the front seat. Love the cargo room. Love the spacious back seats. Love the looks. Love the pep. It really is a fantastic car! We've always had Hondas, but for some reason, I wasn't interested in the Pilot until we drove it, and now, I'm hooked. Best car ever.

High Quality SUV
By Nancy on 07/04/10 06:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am the 2nd owner of this 2005 EX-L with built in navigation and entertainment system. Got it 2 yrs. ago as I wanted an SUV with excellent visibility and reliability. Honda has not disappointed me as vehicle has both. Only maintenance has been oil changes. I now need new tires at 63k miles-not bad! Gas mileage is not great-I average 18 MPG combined but this is a 6 cyl. so gas mileage is not going to be fantastic. I was thinking of downsizing to get better gas mileage. I looked at many other SUVs and none compared with the Pilot. I don't want to sacrifice comfort and space so I am keeping it. Excellent headroom, spacious interior. Rear a/c great for my dogs! Handles great in snow.

Love my Honda
By RaylynnLois on 01/12/10 17:59 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 2005 Ex-L Honda Pilot. I loved it from the beginning. Best vehicle I have owned thus far. I am pretty sure it saved my life, with the safety features it has I am very grateful. I was recently in a head on collision and my honda held up its end, I walked away with minor aches and pains. By the looks of it I should have been much worse! I would buy another in a heart beat.

Solid SUV
By soccermom on 01/11/10 11:36 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I debated between my 2005 Honda Pilot and a 2008 Jeep Commander. I settled on the Honda. Love the room and cargo space. I seldom use the 3rd row seating but it is roomy for the kids. The gas mileage is not bad for this SUV. Has great get up and go and looks nice on the road!

Pilot Fan
By Pilot Fan on 12/05/09 09:00 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best vehicle we have ever owned. It drives like a car but has more than enough room for a family of four plus dogs.

So far, so good...
By golfguy on 10/14/09 13:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this pilot used about 1 year ago and so far it has met my high expectations. It rides great, has plenty of interior room for anything we want to carry, will pull a medium sized trailer with no problem, and I'm happy.

I Adore This Car
By Elizabeth on 09/27/09 02:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is by far the greatest car I've ever owned. Just had to trade it in for a CRV (financial issues) but had the EX-L, which has been almost perfection to own. I was initially worried about the size of the vehicle, but it is such a smooth ride, wisely placed windows (almost no blind spot), and with plenty of pickup, the size was irrelevant almost immediately. I particularly loved the cargo space in the back, and the very comfortable third row. The dash was generally intuitive, and the center console very accessible and full of space. The seats were incredibly comfortable, long or short drives it was amazing. Like any big SUV, would have liked better mileage, but LOVE this car!

Still Going Strong
By MikeM on 08/30/09 15:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Coming up on 4 years and overall still happy with the Pilot EX-L (non-Nav). The only issue has been the "auto up/down" switch on the drivers door so not bad. Plenty of room for family of three + large dog. Superb handling in the snow and drives/rides like a car, comfortable on long trips. Gas mileage is awful, we have never come close to the advertised mpg even under optimal conditions. Nothing overly jaw- dropping about the Pilot--simply Honda quality, does what is designed to without fanfare.

Disappointed in first Honda
By Bob Rapoza on 07/24/09 15:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this Honda because it carries up to 8 people we didn't want a bigger SUV. The battery died in the first year while on a trip, had to replace it. The rear latch for the hatch has fallen off three times and I have had to screw it back on. Makes a loud noise when driving at highway speed with windows down. Now at 63,000 miles, we have a broken motor mount. None of these items are serious, but I expected more from Honda, especially for the money we paid (we purchased the top model of the Pilot). The gas mileage also isn't very good for a 6 cylinder.