Used 2005 Honda Pilot EX SUV Consumer Reviews - 104 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

10 year old Honda Pilot feels like 3 years old.
By Chris Williamson

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've always wanted an SUV. Dreamt of driving a Ford Explorer. Then I came across this Honda Pilot at the dealership's used lot. It had one adult owner and meticulous records, taken in for oil changes, maintenance, and repair like clockwork. So it was in great condition and it showed. I've now been driving it for a few months and I love it! It has 3 rows of seats in case I need to haul people, but those fold down to create a lot of cargo space if I need to haul equipment. It's a 2005 so of course I upgraded the stereo (had a tape player lol). The speakers are next. All I can say is that if your Honda Pilot has been taken care of then 10 years later it will look and drive like it's it's only a few years old! That's a Honda for you. Just so it's out there the only problem with this specific vehicle is that it drifts to the right. But then every single used car I've ever owned did that. I love my ride!

Almost Perfect
By yeh642

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 05 EX from a car broker 2 years ago in 2008 as I always wanted a SUV for the convenience and to able to go on trips with my family. It's been a great purchase thus far. The pilot has a powerful engine with ample room, the 3rd row seating is not great, but I've been able to fit 9 adults (albeit we're all skinny) comfortably on long trips. I've used it many times to help my friends move, it's easy to fold the 2nd and and 3rd row seats down for transporting large items, it can do it all! This past year I was able to test it out with the record snow falls in the north east, and drove through 2 ft of snow without any problems, if you're thinking about getting an SUV, I recommend it.

Solid vehicle, powerful engine, very roomy, cup holders and storage bins are conveniently placed throughout the interior.

Biggest drawback like most people is the MPG. With a mix of 40/60 highway/local driving, I get only about 18 MPG, I know it's a SUV, but that's near a V8 gas usage. I wish the EX came with a sunroof, but it was only available in the EX-L for the 05 model year. Other than that, I love my pilot!

Love this car. Hate the mileage
By EGuy78

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my favorite car that I've ever owned. I love everything about it, except the mileage. But, I'm willing to look past that! Love the center console in the front seat. Love the cargo room. Love the spacious back seats. Love the looks. Love the pep. It really is a fantastic car! We've always had Hondas, but for some reason, I wasn't interested in the Pilot until we drove it, and now, I'm hooked. Best car ever.

Room, Center Console, Style

Gas mileage is poor. I think the best I've ever gotten is 20 mpg on the freeway.

I Adore This Car
By Elizabeth

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is by far the greatest car I've ever owned. Just had to trade it in for a CRV (financial issues) but had the EX-L, which has been almost perfection to own. I was initially worried about the size of the vehicle, but it is such a smooth ride, wisely placed windows (almost no blind spot), and with plenty of pickup, the size was irrelevant almost immediately. I particularly loved the cargo space in the back, and the very comfortable third row. The dash was generally intuitive, and the center console very accessible and full of space. The seats were incredibly comfortable, long or short drives it was amazing. Like any big SUV, would have liked better mileage, but LOVE this car!

Heated, comfortable seats, safety, size, luxurious trim, amazingly quiet ride, very little I didn't like!

Mileage could have been better, but with a car this size understandable...

Still Going Strong
By MikeM

2005 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Coming up on 4 years and overall still happy with the Pilot EX-L (non-Nav). The only issue has been the "auto up/down" switch on the drivers door so not bad. Plenty of room for family of three + large dog. Superb handling in the snow and drives/rides like a car, comfortable on long trips. Gas mileage is awful, we have never come close to the advertised mpg even under optimal conditions. Nothing overly jaw- dropping about the Pilot--simply Honda quality, does what is designed to without fanfare.

AWD handling in bad weather, loads of interior space, bullet-proof reliability.

Poor resale value compared to Toyota, awful gas mileage, a bit more power would be nice. Tow package should come standard on EX. Expensive accessories.