2005 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
Proud Pilot Owner
By KellyMarie on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my pilot for about 8 months now. Between work, college, and family I put many miles on my pilot and find it is still very reliable. Although it cost me more than I wanted to spend this car is truly a great investment. I bought it knowing that I will have a family someday and this vehicle will stand the test of time. Got into an accident a month after I bought it. Totaled half of the other vehicle. My pilot had nothing but a scratch on the bumper and I didn't even know I hit the other car. Safety is one of the best features of the Pilot. I never felt the impact of the accident! I spent a year researching before making my purchase. Glad I picked the Pilot!

Solid SUV
By soccermom on 01/11/10 11:36 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I debated between my 2005 Honda Pilot and a 2008 Jeep Commander. I settled on the Honda. Love the room and cargo space. I seldom use the 3rd row seating but it is roomy for the kids. The gas mileage is not bad for this SUV. Has great get up and go and looks nice on the road!

Cracked seats..
By PFH on 06/04/08 09:31 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had driver's (leather) seat skin replaced twice in first two years because of cracked side panel. Replaced whole seat bottom including foam last year. That is three seats in less than three years. Now they say no more warranty to replace both front cracked seats. This on a car only three years old. Passenger seat is now cracked on the side panel as well.

2005 Honda Pilot Review
By Joanne Goodale on 07/14/07 22:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love driving this Pilot. We've have taken it on several road trips and have found it extremely comfortable with plenty of room for luggage. Also, the 3rd row seat has come in handy many times. You can split the second and third row seats which is offers different options for passengers and baggage. The turning radius is better than my volvo's.

What am I missing?
By threeputt on 03/23/07 19:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I should have posted this sooner. My wife and leased our '05 Pilot in September of '05. The dealer drove it himself and put 5k miles on it. The seats are uncomfortable. Spongy braking, hiccuppy acceleration, upper body roll, poor sound and a noisy interior. On the positive side, good turn radius, good build(lousy seat belts) quality. Based upon what I've read from others, this vehicle is overrated. Never, and I repeat never, let your wife tell a Honda order taker that she absolutely loves it. They will never back off on price. I'm on the hook for another year. Then, he lease is UP!!!!!

Just an "OK"
By Focl on 02/10/07 06:40 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car didn't live up to my expectations. It's my first Honda and I was surprised that the cockpit has several ergonomic issues. The automatic transmission has the strangest kick down I've ever experienced. It feels like someone's putting on the brakes. Speaking of brakes, the ABS system kick in way too early when braking easy on wet roads causing the car to skid forward much further than you expect it too! Very scary in light snow or rain!!! Every time you step on the brake you get a loud thumping in the rear which is undoubtedly the gas slapping the inside of the tank (annoying).

Great SUV
By boris on 01/06/07 11:39 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is second Pilot I have. It suits me perfectly. Plenty of space in a front (I call it my second office). I need to put seats down and up quite often - itÂ’s easy and convenient and creates plenty of flat space. Occasionally we use 3rd row - access is not great, but doable.

Comfortable and a workhorse
By Debra on 07/24/06 17:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have always liked my Honda Pilot, but a recent long trip really showed what this car can do. I had a class-3 trailer hitch installed and pulled a 6x12 U-haul trailer full of furniture and household goods from New Orleans to New York City. My Pilot had no trouble pulling this load in the mountains or in the city. It was my first time to pull a trailer, but I felt safe with my Pilot. I was warned to watch the temperature gauge in the mountains, but the needle never wavered off the "normal" level. Going down mountains with that heavy trailer behind me, I put the Pilot in D3 and never had to touch my brakes to keep my speed down. The Pilot really performed well for me on this trip.

Great....but the Buzzing will kill me!
By Justin on 04/18/06 19:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I are fairly happy with our Pilot. We have 25k miles on it now and still doing well. Great get up and go and good simple luxury items. My only problem is the buzzing that seems to come from the entire dash no matter which road I'm on. I am going to have a 2nd dealer look at it, but no improvement so far. I push on the plastic dash in many different areas and it stops for 30 seconds or so... then it starts right back up. Only option is to open the windows or turn up the stereo! I have a 1996 Corolla with 206k miles on it and still no buzzing!

15K review, not so perfect
By path4 on 04/11/06 12:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned it for about 11 month and put it 15K miles. Averaged 14mpg city, 20-22mpg highway @75-85mph. The seat is not comfortable. I can not find a configuration that fully support my back. Not a problem for short trips, but I take long trips often and I always have back pain and sour neck after driving 2 hours. Engine is pretty quiet, but wind noise and road noise become annoying @ 80mph. More sound dumpening material should be used. Both my wife (not a good driver) and I find it easier to drive than corolla and accord. The rear backup sensor is well worth the money.