2005 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
So far, so good...
By golfguy on 10/14/09 13:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this pilot used about 1 year ago and so far it has met my high expectations. It rides great, has plenty of interior room for anything we want to carry, will pull a medium sized trailer with no problem, and I'm happy.

Wins for its use of interior space
By Mike on 10/07/05 11:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We test drove all the midsize SUV's looking for one with economical V6 power, good looks, and ample interior space. The Pilot won the contest for its excellent use of space on the inside. 8-person capacity (assuming some of those 8 are kids), a plethora of storage places, and fold-flat rear seats. While I am not a fan of column shifters, it allowed Honda to really make the center console useful. The exterior styling is so-so. The navigation system is touch-screen and fully operable while driving (for better or worse) but otherwise pales in comparison to the Pathfinder's. The Pathfinder also trumps the Pilot with regards to performance. The Pilot can handle light-to-moderate off-road use.

Happy with my purchase
By FJT on 09/03/05 04:58 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just got my Pilot at around end of August. I really am happy with my purchase so far. The ride is quiet and smooth even on freeway. It also fits our needs. I like the fact that it is so versatile & roomy. For the most part, i love the improvements Honda has added to the '05 models. (i.e. EBD(electronic brake distribution), VSA(vehicle stability assistance), sunroof, more horsepower (15 horses more than previous models), TPMS(tire pressure monitoring system & lots more. I just think there is still room for improvements but other than that....EXCELLENT SUV!!!

Exterior Body Not tough
By Tom on 08/24/05 16:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The vehicle stability, brakes, and pickup are excellent. Many swift lane changes and sharp turns are handled gracefully. But the outside body is NOT good. If you drive on country side roads then lots of chipping problems occur. Also inside the rear AC air direction controller came broken in my new Pilot. So build is so-so , I mean from other aspects too.

In just a few weeks..
By Xavier311 on 08/20/05 15:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent vehicle! Yes, it doesn't stand out in a crowd of other SUV's (in terms of looks), but that's not why I bought it. The interior is extremely high quality and very functional, and the smooth ride is great! The steering (handling) could be a little better, as it does feel a bit bulky at first, but after getting use to it you'll never notice it again. Acceleration is slow at first due to the AWD, but then quickly picks up speed. The ride is so smooth, that you sometimes don't notice how fast you're going. Overall, a great vehicle whether you have a family, or are looking for a roomy mid-size SUV.

Unknown characteristic's
By wkroberts on 08/20/05 12:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Before you buy a Pilot, understand that it has a lot of “characteristics” that develop later in life. A shaking in the front end that occurs over 65. As 65 is the posted speed limit for the majority of this area, the local Honda dealer does not feel compelled to address the issue. The sloshing noise in the gas tank when it’s full. Honda knows about the issue, but as it only occurs when the tank is full, they see it as characteristic. The brakes make a terrible noise when the ABS kicks in and the front wheels tend to lock-up in a panic stop. This is partially due to the location of the ABS unit and “glazing” of the rotors. It tends to hesitate when cornering at low speeds.

Awesome Baby
By Glenn on 08/03/05 00:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1982 Accord Hatchback and then I have owned Mazdas for about the last 15 years, (626's x 2), and just traded in my MPV for Pilot EX w/ leather/Nav. ( Paid a little over invoice ) What an unbelievable difference! In the words of Dick Vitale - it's "Awesome Baby". Why did I ever switch to Mazdas? The Pilot's overall quality, handling, and style is superb. With 3 kids, 11, 8, and a 2 year old in a car seat, there is still plenty of room for everyone. I'll probably miss the sliding doors of a minivan for mere convienence, but such is life. Now my wife wants to trade in her Jeep Grand Cherokee for a Pilot. I got mine first. Nana nana na na :)

best I have owned
By Doc Smith on 08/02/05 11:48 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my 2003 Ford Expedition at a significant loss to get into this vehicle. We have taked several long trips as a family (with 2 teenagers). Everyone in the family is thrilled with this vehicle. Mileage averages 21/mpg which is excellent - I have owned a Hummer and a Suburban. Handling, acceleration are also excellent.

excellent
By Pontius Pilot on 08/01/05 18:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is really a powerful engine especially on terrain climbing hills and mountains.reliable during 14 hrs long drive from San francisco to Tucson.Seems like a V8 engine,tough and durable.Easy to drive and comfortable,it's very challenging when you go beyond 90 mph so smooth with zero friction above the road.

Honda is one of the best
By VINNY PERSAUD on 07/30/05 11:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Honda Pilot rides very comfortable with a quiet engine that performs very well. In addition to the roomy interior with third row seating gas consumption is economical. This is definitely one for the entire family, unlike the Benz ML 350 which is disturbingly uncomfortable when it comes to handling and performance, but safer with lots of body steel.