2005 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
Almost Perfect
By yeh642 on 08/21/10 13:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 05 EX from a car broker 2 years ago in 2008 as I always wanted a SUV for the convenience and to able to go on trips with my family. It's been a great purchase thus far. The pilot has a powerful engine with ample room, the 3rd row seating is not great, but I've been able to fit 9 adults (albeit we're all skinny) comfortably on long trips. I've used it many times to help my friends move, it's easy to fold the 2nd and and 3rd row seats down for transporting large items, it can do it all! This past year I was able to test it out with the record snow falls in the north east, and drove through 2 ft of snow without any problems, if you're thinking about getting an SUV, I recommend it.

Love this car. Hate the mileage
By EGuy78 on 08/19/10 19:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my favorite car that I've ever owned. I love everything about it, except the mileage. But, I'm willing to look past that! Love the center console in the front seat. Love the cargo room. Love the spacious back seats. Love the looks. Love the pep. It really is a fantastic car! We've always had Hondas, but for some reason, I wasn't interested in the Pilot until we drove it, and now, I'm hooked. Best car ever.

I Adore This Car
By Elizabeth on 09/27/09 02:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is by far the greatest car I've ever owned. Just had to trade it in for a CRV (financial issues) but had the EX-L, which has been almost perfection to own. I was initially worried about the size of the vehicle, but it is such a smooth ride, wisely placed windows (almost no blind spot), and with plenty of pickup, the size was irrelevant almost immediately. I particularly loved the cargo space in the back, and the very comfortable third row. The dash was generally intuitive, and the center console very accessible and full of space. The seats were incredibly comfortable, long or short drives it was amazing. Like any big SUV, would have liked better mileage, but LOVE this car!

Still Going Strong
By MikeM on 08/30/09 15:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Coming up on 4 years and overall still happy with the Pilot EX-L (non-Nav). The only issue has been the "auto up/down" switch on the drivers door so not bad. Plenty of room for family of three + large dog. Superb handling in the snow and drives/rides like a car, comfortable on long trips. Gas mileage is awful, we have never come close to the advertised mpg even under optimal conditions. Nothing overly jaw- dropping about the Pilot--simply Honda quality, does what is designed to without fanfare.

Disappointed in first Honda
By Bob Rapoza on 07/24/09 15:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this Honda because it carries up to 8 people we didn't want a bigger SUV. The battery died in the first year while on a trip, had to replace it. The rear latch for the hatch has fallen off three times and I have had to screw it back on. Makes a loud noise when driving at highway speed with windows down. Now at 63,000 miles, we have a broken motor mount. None of these items are serious, but I expected more from Honda, especially for the money we paid (we purchased the top model of the Pilot). The gas mileage also isn't very good for a 6 cylinder.

All wheel drive
By Pedro Cortez on 07/16/09 08:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The car is great. Except the All wheel drive maintenance! I change the engine oil every 3K, but the differential HAS to be changed every 5K (6K). This is pricey at every other oil change. Other than that, I would probably buy another one, in 12 years. I also found and replaced the air filter with a cold air intake. A little bit better gas mileage, and bit better performance off the line.

Quintessential Honda Engineering
By Bryan Lienesch on 06/16/09 11:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The powerful 3.5-liter, V6 engine gives the Pilot as much pickup as any Mid-size SUV out there without hurting fuel economy. A spacious cockpit gives the Pilot's pilot roomy comfort whether they are 5'4" or 6'8". Functionality lets you flip seats up our down in seconds to meet whatever your demands are. But perhaps best of all, the Pilot rides smooth and is one of the more reliable models from a typically very reliable company. All in all, from its beautiful, edgy body to its fast and reliable engine, the Pilot will give you fun and let you keep it with few snags along the way. Maintain this vehicle religiously and the routine maintenance will be the only shop time it sees!

Almost a Jeep
By crm on 04/04/09 11:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the Pilot used to replace a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. Slid the Pilot on ice into a fence (minimal damage - breakaways and scratches only!), and rented my old favorite (Jeep) while being repaired -- found out I missed the Pilot so much! Solid vehicle, so far very reliable! Gas mileage depends upon my foot - have gotten 19.5mpg around town and 24mpg highway when driving carefully, but the 255hp is too tempting! So I average 18/22 instead! Am VERY happy for around town, long trips, family adventures - fits everything we do!

Best SUV I have ever had.
By John on 02/16/09 10:54 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this 2005 EX-L to replace a 2003 Pilot. After 57,00 miles, this has been the best driving SUV I have ever owned. The power was surprisingly peppy. It is easy to maneuver and drives more like a car than a truck. I am having a difficult time justifying paying up for a 2009 Pilot that weighs 177 pounds more, 3ft pounds more torque, but 5 less horsepower (250 vs 255). I added the tow package on myself and tow my motorcycles, Waverunner, and loaded utility trailer weighing 2000#+ with ease through Wisconsin hills. I bought an aftermarket Garmin GPS and don't really miss any of the other new gadgets. We have had a few minor problems that were covered by the warranty. Great in snow/ice.

Solid Vehicle
By Steve on 02/01/09 07:47 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This an extremely solid vehicle. I really have no complaints. I live in Michigan where we get a lot of snow and ice. It's nearly impossible to get this car to slip or slide. It has more than enough cargo space, yet it doesn't feel like an enormous vehicle when you're in it. I did have to have a power window motor replaced, but it was covered under warranty. Other than that, I haven't had so much as a hiccup through 53,000 miles. The only issue I have is that the Pilot is kind of boring. There's nothing exciting about the interior or exterior design, but I can think of much worse problems to have.