Used 2005 Honda Pilot EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Almost Perfect
By yeh642

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 05 EX from a car broker 2 years ago in 2008 as I always wanted a SUV for the convenience and to able to go on trips with my family. It's been a great purchase thus far. The pilot has a powerful engine with ample room, the 3rd row seating is not great, but I've been able to fit 9 adults (albeit we're all skinny) comfortably on long trips. I've used it many times to help my friends move, it's easy to fold the 2nd and and 3rd row seats down for transporting large items, it can do it all! This past year I was able to test it out with the record snow falls in the north east, and drove through 2 ft of snow without any problems, if you're thinking about getting an SUV, I recommend it.

Favorite Features

Solid vehicle, powerful engine, very roomy, cup holders and storage bins are conveniently placed throughout the interior.

Suggested Improvements

Biggest drawback like most people is the MPG. With a mix of 40/60 highway/local driving, I get only about 18 MPG, I know it's a SUV, but that's near a V8 gas usage. I wish the EX came with a sunroof, but it was only available in the EX-L for the 05 model year. Other than that, I love my pilot!

Love this car. Hate the mileage
By EGuy78

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my favorite car that I've ever owned. I love everything about it, except the mileage. But, I'm willing to look past that! Love the center console in the front seat. Love the cargo room. Love the spacious back seats. Love the looks. Love the pep. It really is a fantastic car! We've always had Hondas, but for some reason, I wasn't interested in the Pilot until we drove it, and now, I'm hooked. Best car ever.

Favorite Features

Room, Center Console, Style

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is poor. I think the best I've ever gotten is 20 mpg on the freeway.

I Adore This Car
By Elizabeth

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is by far the greatest car I've ever owned. Just had to trade it in for a CRV (financial issues) but had the EX-L, which has been almost perfection to own. I was initially worried about the size of the vehicle, but it is such a smooth ride, wisely placed windows (almost no blind spot), and with plenty of pickup, the size was irrelevant almost immediately. I particularly loved the cargo space in the back, and the very comfortable third row. The dash was generally intuitive, and the center console very accessible and full of space. The seats were incredibly comfortable, long or short drives it was amazing. Like any big SUV, would have liked better mileage, but LOVE this car!

Favorite Features

Heated, comfortable seats, safety, size, luxurious trim, amazingly quiet ride, very little I didn't like!

Suggested Improvements

Mileage could have been better, but with a car this size understandable...

Still Going Strong
By MikeM

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Coming up on 4 years and overall still happy with the Pilot EX-L (non-Nav). The only issue has been the "auto up/down" switch on the drivers door so not bad. Plenty of room for family of three + large dog. Superb handling in the snow and drives/rides like a car, comfortable on long trips. Gas mileage is awful, we have never come close to the advertised mpg even under optimal conditions. Nothing overly jaw- dropping about the Pilot--simply Honda quality, does what is designed to without fanfare.

Favorite Features

AWD handling in bad weather, loads of interior space, bullet-proof reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Poor resale value compared to Toyota, awful gas mileage, a bit more power would be nice. Tow package should come standard on EX. Expensive accessories.

Disappointed in first Honda
By Bob Rapoza

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this Honda because it carries up to 8 people we didn't want a bigger SUV. The battery died in the first year while on a trip, had to replace it. The rear latch for the hatch has fallen off three times and I have had to screw it back on. Makes a loud noise when driving at highway speed with windows down. Now at 63,000 miles, we have a broken motor mount. None of these items are serious, but I expected more from Honda, especially for the money we paid (we purchased the top model of the Pilot). The gas mileage also isn't very good for a 6 cylinder.

Favorite Features

Styling, smooth ride at highway speed.

Suggested Improvements

Improve build quality. We bought the Honda because its reputation as a well built car.