Used 2005 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

I love my Pilot, even at 187,000 miles!
By hampton6410

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Pilot used in 2009 and now even at 187,000 miles it still drives just as good. We have not had any major issues and only do the Honda recommended maintenance. We do change the oil at 3000 mile intervals, not 5,000. The Pilot has been a great car overall. The only thing that I wish was better was the gas mileage. We have also owned two CRV's and currently own a 2005 Accord, and all have been great. We have had no major issues even with our 2003 CRV with 197,000 miles that we just traded in on the Accord.

Favorite Features

Safety, reliability and peppy engine.

Suggested Improvements

If it could just get 25 or more on the highway this would be the greatest car ever. The most I have ever achieved is 23.5 highway.

Poor Reliability
By jon_z

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased my wife's Pilot about 5 months ago. Ride, handling and comfort are pretty good, but Honda reliability is not there. The radiator recently "failed" causing the coolant to be circulated into the transmission. Radiator/thermostat need to be replaced. The engine and transmission need to be flushed as well. So far this has cost us $1500. I'm just waiting for the transmission to fail requiring a $3-4K replacement all because of a defective radiator! Would NOT buy this vehicle again. Honda also will not admit there's a problem with their radiators on these Pilots. This barge replaced a 1998 Odyssey which was a far better car.

Not Bad
By cupcake617

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Loved my Pilot I traded it in at 95,000 miles never had any trouble with it. Very reliable for us. My biggest complain was the terrible access to the 3rd row seating. The seat moved up no more then 12 inches, once my kids got in the back I couldn't get back to help them buckle up. Also, gas mileage very crummy.

Favorite Features

heated leather seats, heather mirrors

Suggested Improvements

captains chairs in the second row seating to allow better access to the 3rd row

durability questionable
By honda_critic

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Blown engine at 74k miles. No consideration or assistance from Honda Headquarters. No assistance from Rt 23 Honda in Pompton Plains NJ Car was garage kept and maintenance schedule done at dealer. Filter and oil changed every 5K. car ran well until after sitting in garage for 1 week while on vacation. Starting the car caused car to lurch and make rattling noise from engine. Car Faltbed delivered to dealer who started the car to determine problem. In doing so continued the rattling noise causing the connecting rod to push though the block and oil pan. The dealer called to say the engine was blown and asked if I had driven though high water. No was the answer. Result Honda wants $6+K for fix

Favorite Features

Used to be the reliability and durability of Honda cars.

Suggested Improvements

Better communications from Honda Headquarters. Better Customer service Better diagnostics on customer complaints.

Ok Vehicle
By wyowolf

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am the second owner of this Pilot. Its got about 107K miles on it. I got this vehicle for a replacement for my car. I thought Honda was a good choice, for safety, fuel economy, features, ETC. Well the safety is great. As far as the other goes, I am not sold on Honda. I am getting a whole 13-14 MPG in town. I by no means have a heavy foot, and 16 on the interstate. Other pilot owners I talk to love their Pilot and say it gets great mileage. The sound system is not that great, and its kinda plain Jane for the price.

Favorite Features

I do like the leather seats, and seat warmers, but as of now that is it.

Suggested Improvements

Figure out what is with the fuel mileage.