2005 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
I love my Pilot, even at 187,000 miles!
By hampton6410 on 08/20/12 09:15 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Pilot used in 2009 and now even at 187,000 miles it still drives just as good. We have not had any major issues and only do the Honda recommended maintenance. We do change the oil at 3000 mile intervals, not 5,000. The Pilot has been a great car overall. The only thing that I wish was better was the gas mileage. We have also owned two CRV's and currently own a 2005 Accord, and all have been great. We have had no major issues even with our 2003 CRV with 197,000 miles that we just traded in on the Accord.

Poor Reliability
By jon_z on 04/23/12 07:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased my wife's Pilot about 5 months ago. Ride, handling and comfort are pretty good, but Honda reliability is not there. The radiator recently "failed" causing the coolant to be circulated into the transmission. Radiator/thermostat need to be replaced. The engine and transmission need to be flushed as well. So far this has cost us $1500. I'm just waiting for the transmission to fail requiring a $3-4K replacement all because of a defective radiator! Would NOT buy this vehicle again. Honda also will not admit there's a problem with their radiators on these Pilots. This barge replaced a 1998 Odyssey which was a far better car.

Not Bad
By cupcake617 on 01/12/12 18:28 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Loved my Pilot I traded it in at 95,000 miles never had any trouble with it. Very reliable for us. My biggest complain was the terrible access to the 3rd row seating. The seat moved up no more then 12 inches, once my kids got in the back I couldn't get back to help them buckle up. Also, gas mileage very crummy.

durability questionable
By honda_critic on 05/12/11 20:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Blown engine at 74k miles. No consideration or assistance from Honda Headquarters. No assistance from Rt 23 Honda in Pompton Plains NJ Car was garage kept and maintenance schedule done at dealer. Filter and oil changed every 5K. car ran well until after sitting in garage for 1 week while on vacation. Starting the car caused car to lurch and make rattling noise from engine. Car Faltbed delivered to dealer who started the car to determine problem. In doing so continued the rattling noise causing the connecting rod to push though the block and oil pan. The dealer called to say the engine was blown and asked if I had driven though high water. No was the answer. Result Honda wants $6+K for fix

Ok Vehicle
By wyowolf on 02/05/11 00:59 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am the second owner of this Pilot. Its got about 107K miles on it. I got this vehicle for a replacement for my car. I thought Honda was a good choice, for safety, fuel economy, features, ETC. Well the safety is great. As far as the other goes, I am not sold on Honda. I am getting a whole 13-14 MPG in town. I by no means have a heavy foot, and 16 on the interstate. Other pilot owners I talk to love their Pilot and say it gets great mileage. The sound system is not that great, and its kinda plain Jane for the price.

Proud Pilot Owner
By KellyMarie on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my pilot for about 8 months now. Between work, college, and family I put many miles on my pilot and find it is still very reliable. Although it cost me more than I wanted to spend this car is truly a great investment. I bought it knowing that I will have a family someday and this vehicle will stand the test of time. Got into an accident a month after I bought it. Totaled half of the other vehicle. My pilot had nothing but a scratch on the bumper and I didn't even know I hit the other car. Safety is one of the best features of the Pilot. I never felt the impact of the accident! I spent a year researching before making my purchase. Glad I picked the Pilot!

After the love is gone
By No More Hondas? on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I too used to think Honda was the best. Until our 2005 Pilot came to a sudden halt on the Dan Ryan. Lucky for us, it was at 1 a.m.. The transmission failed. Just. Like. That. No lights or warning. 73,200 miles. Of course we got the pleasure of paying for it. No help from Honda like the 2003 people. Before that we enjoyed ABS that locked up, tire pressure sensors that dealer quit trying to fix, peeling bumper paint, leaking doors that stink & gas mileage was a joke. We ditched it after we were told the engine was next to go. BTW, the dealer did all the routine man. on it. Hope you are all still Honda fans when your trans. goes out. Read the forums here. Not pretty.

Not Again
By srm3057 on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this 2005 Pilot new and have maintained it professionally with the thought of keeping it for many years. This vehicle has been one problem after another. Terrible gas mileage! At 50K miles the AC compressor just needed to be replaced at a cost of $1500.00 +/-. The reliability isn't there anymore! I would not recommend this manufacturer at all. They do not stand behind their product.

Great honda
By honda lover on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had nothing to say but good things, I think it looks way and much better than the new one.

Almost Perfect
By yeh642 on 08/21/10 13:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 05 EX from a car broker 2 years ago in 2008 as I always wanted a SUV for the convenience and to able to go on trips with my family. It's been a great purchase thus far. The pilot has a powerful engine with ample room, the 3rd row seating is not great, but I've been able to fit 9 adults (albeit we're all skinny) comfortably on long trips. I've used it many times to help my friends move, it's easy to fold the 2nd and and 3rd row seats down for transporting large items, it can do it all! This past year I was able to test it out with the record snow falls in the north east, and drove through 2 ft of snow without any problems, if you're thinking about getting an SUV, I recommend it.