Used 2004 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews - 553 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Four years and going strong!
By tdr_honda

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this 2004 Pilot EXL-RES new in October 2004. It now has 70K miles and still runs and looks great. I never keep a vehicle for more than 2 years, but this one is a keeper! I have had no problems with it and it runs as good today as it did when I bought it. I keep it well maintained and clean, and in return it just runs and runs. I am probably going to trade my other car, a Suburban, in for the 2009 Pilot. I would highly recommend this vehicle - I have owned many, many Hondas and this one has been the best.

Reliability and comfort.

none.

Like my Pilot very much
By luppydog

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After a lot of research on similar SUV's (Rav, CRV, Cherokee, Pathfinder, Xterra) I drove the Pilot and immediately saw the difference. Quality interior and nice materials. Good takeoff and passing power, the ride is quiet and when you're not "on it" the 5-speed tranny will keep you cruising at around 2k RPM which helps gas mileage. When driven conservatively i average 20mpg on back road driving. ABS brakes work well, though don't always read imput well and will pull too hard sometimes. AWD feels seamless and it handles snow perfectly. Minimal quality issues, like the plastic housing inside my taillight broke and you cant take it apart to fix where it "pops" back together. Great car overall though.

Heated leather seats are awesome. Holds several passengers in comfort and with 3rd row seats down there's plenty of trunk space. Anything I've packed in back fits including 4X8 plywood sheets (diagonally) with room to spare. Low insurance costs and many safety features. Nice stereo and center storage.

It's a long reach to the HVAC and radio controls. Much improved access to 3rd row seat for passengers needed. Awkward placing of gear shifter had me grabbing the wiper arm a lot at first. Wish the rear window lifted independently as on later models. Oh, and the stigma of driving a mommy car :)

One Day and lovin it
By lovin it

2004 Honda Pilot LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Pilot for 1 day i brought it at Honda east. It is certified and has a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty. Great on gas. had 50,500 miles when i brought it. My kids love the 3rd row seat. The trunk is really small when the third row seat is up. Very spacey and reliable.

3rd row seat, great sound, never squashed, great looks

Bigger Trunk

Should have bought one sooner.
By MEM, Hamilton NJ

2004 Honda Pilot LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Previously owned two Hondas (Civic and Accord). Had the Accord for 14.5 years with 165,000 miles. Took a break for a few years from Honda but recently purchased a certified used 2004 Honda Pilot. Love it! Glad to be back in the Honda family!

Very roomy!! I was amazed at the amount of room inside and the visibility for passengers. Very comfortable and fun to drive.

Better gas mileage.

Very reliable
By SB

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great vehicle! I bought this car as a used car certified with 30,000 miles and it has been very reliable! I have driven long distances on numerous occasions and haven't had one problem in the 3 years that I have owned it.

I love the cargo space! Lots of room.