Used 2004 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Will buy again
By Jon

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car for my wife who was returning to work. I wanted something that was reliable, got decent gas mileage, was able to get around in the snow, and could tow a boat. The Pilot has stood up to all of these demands and then some. It is fun to drive, has great acceleration, gets around great in all weather and has been reliable (except when we leave the dome lights on and the battery goes dead). We have used it to tow a boat that weighs about 4500 (Regal 2100 LSR). We started camping/boating and had to add a Suburban due to load and room limits. Now my son drives the Pilot, and we feel comfortable with the safety aspects of the vehicle as well. I would buy a Pilot again.

Favorite Features

- interior room is great - stereo system is great - acceleration and control is great - turning radius is great for tight parking lots - towing capabilities - reliability is great, no problems yet - A/C is cold, and it heats up quick in the winter

Suggested Improvements

- seats get a little uncomfortable on long trips - auto shutoff of all int. lights - better rear suspension to handle 5000lb rating

Pretty good all-arounder
By K

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it at 45K now at 65K only 2 minor issues. Coolant crossover??? and a back light on the HVAC controls. The 4 kids (one in a car seat) my wife and small dog and I fit well enough but if we actually want to take anything with us especially for an overnighter, storage space can be tight even with the 60/40 split 3rd row. Bought a roof bag for camping/cottaging. I hate the plastic bug deflector (aftermarket but bought and installed by Honda); it vibrates and makes a very loud noise over 65 and on my second one now same thing. But I'm nitpicking, overall it's a good all round vehicle that would fit well with someone who can sacrifice a little space and just doesn't want to drive a minivan.

Favorite Features

Part time 4wd, seats 8 if necessary, good stereo, best fuel economy in its class, rear seat HVAC controls, not a minivan, it's a Honda.

Suggested Improvements

Wish Honda had a bigger model above the Pilot in like the Sequoia's class. An AC outlet and dual zone climate up front would be nice too. Wish Honda made a V8.

The Underdog
By Borntodrive

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have only started driving recently, this car is my parent's car, however it is soon to become mine, even at 6 years of age this car cannot stop impressing my friends when it comes out on Friday nights. It is obviously not as tight as it used to be, but it is bulletproof, I have done some things to it that I regret, however it shrugged it off and kept going like it was no biggie. I love how simple it is compared to all my friends' cars, yet it gets the job done, despite playing with 2008 and 2009 model BMWs and Lexuses. It rocks and I will never give it up until the thing is truly done, I don't even want a newer car I love this one so much!

Favorite Features

Everything!

Suggested Improvements

nothing to say here the car is amazing for its age

Amazing!
By Happy Honda Owner

2004 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Pilot for 8 months now and I love it. It's clean, comfortable, resourceful, and well built. I have not had any problems whatsoever. It is the smoothest drive and has lots of room, more than a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's great for traveling, camping, fishing, family and more. Everything is durable and well put together, even the engine looks clean and easy to work on if necessary. I would recommend this vehicle to everyone. I haven't been so satisfied with my car like this ever. Before I owned 2 VW Jettas and had nothing but problems and I have never been happier with my Pilot.

Favorite Features

The amount of room, smooth ride, reliable, dependable, great features.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage would be nice, but it's not that bad. Have the head rests be more adjustable and not only go up or down.

Honda rocks
By abulazeez

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We love this SUV so much, it moves very fast, just like rocket, fun to drive. The 4x4 is very fantastic. I enjoy driving in turbulent off road terrain. It is a wonderful SUV. Will recommend it for every one.

Favorite Features

4WD system is solid, the SUV is very balanced, and it moves very fast.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy is not too good but it can be better.