Used 2004 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews - 554 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Can't go wrong w/the Pilot
By bob

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this new, now 5 years and 90K+ miles later still love this Pilot! Very reliable, great mileage (20+ in daily commuting) when lead shoe isn't worn, only maintenance & tires to date. It's not 'sexy' but it's not supposed to be either. Regularly haul 3-8 total (adults + teens) with no problem. Highly recommend any Pilot.

Mileage, heated seats, visibility, interior room.

Could use additional noise reduction insulation.

Not so sure about Hondas anymore
By Pam

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I have had several Hondas - some new, some used. In 2003, we decided to buy a new Pilot. All was fine until last year when the air conditioner went out - very costly. Today we found out there is a problem with a rod and the whole engine will have to be torn apart - extremely costly. I am not at all happy with this vehicle that only has 70,000 miles on it and has had all service and oil changes done. My husband always takes great care of our cars. I will re-think another new Honda purchase in the future.

Nice leather interior. Like the heated seats.

Needs a directional gadget like so many newer cars come standard with. In Denver it's not so bad because we have the mountains and we know that's west. But when we travel to flat states and are in unfamiliar areas, it's sometimes nice to know what direction we are headed.

Bulletproof!
By borntodrive

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

There is only one word that describes this car... bulletproof! I'm 18 and thus I have done things to it that I regret, yet barely phases it! It is a ballerina in the snow, and very comfortable for a long drive (I put 50 miles on it a couple days ago) and avoided an accident with my friend (AMAZING brakes). Excellent power too, great soundtrack when you step on it, and not bad mileage when driven correctly! Had a friend say she liked this car better than my friend's 6 month old Grand Cherokee. Very roomy in the back, routinely transports 4 friends with no problems. Not another car among us that can do it so well (save for my moms minivan). Some of my friends call it "The Beast". It sure is!

Driver's side seat heater best in business... very smooth throttle response, amazing brakes, good handling, nice ride, very roomy, GREAT egronomics.

NOTHING!

Will buy again
By Jon

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car for my wife who was returning to work. I wanted something that was reliable, got decent gas mileage, was able to get around in the snow, and could tow a boat. The Pilot has stood up to all of these demands and then some. It is fun to drive, has great acceleration, gets around great in all weather and has been reliable (except when we leave the dome lights on and the battery goes dead). We have used it to tow a boat that weighs about 4500 (Regal 2100 LSR). We started camping/boating and had to add a Suburban due to load and room limits. Now my son drives the Pilot, and we feel comfortable with the safety aspects of the vehicle as well. I would buy a Pilot again.

- interior room is great - stereo system is great - acceleration and control is great - turning radius is great for tight parking lots - towing capabilities - reliability is great, no problems yet - A/C is cold, and it heats up quick in the winter

- seats get a little uncomfortable on long trips - auto shutoff of all int. lights - better rear suspension to handle 5000lb rating

Pretty good all-arounder
By K

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it at 45K now at 65K only 2 minor issues. Coolant crossover??? and a back light on the HVAC controls. The 4 kids (one in a car seat) my wife and small dog and I fit well enough but if we actually want to take anything with us especially for an overnighter, storage space can be tight even with the 60/40 split 3rd row. Bought a roof bag for camping/cottaging. I hate the plastic bug deflector (aftermarket but bought and installed by Honda); it vibrates and makes a very loud noise over 65 and on my second one now same thing. But I'm nitpicking, overall it's a good all round vehicle that would fit well with someone who can sacrifice a little space and just doesn't want to drive a minivan.

Part time 4wd, seats 8 if necessary, good stereo, best fuel economy in its class, rear seat HVAC controls, not a minivan, it's a Honda.

Wish Honda had a bigger model above the Pilot in like the Sequoia's class. An AC outlet and dual zone climate up front would be nice too. Wish Honda made a V8.