Used 2004 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Most Helpful|
GOODRIDE
By FRED STALEY

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

THIS IS OUR FOURTH HONDA.THEY HAVE ALL BEEN GOOD TO GREAT CARS.THIS IS THE BEST SO FAR.

Favorite Features

AUDIO SYSTEM, V6,

Suggested Improvements

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS,DOOR LOCKS THAT LOCK AUTOMATICLY WHEN PUT INTO DRIVE.

Cold Starts...Not so Good.
By bummedaboutmyhonda

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I live in So Cal and park my Pilot in the driveway. If it's a cold night it won't always start the next morning The engine will crank but won't turn over on the first try. It will start on the second attempt. Honda service states that this is normal for a lot of new cars today...yeah right! He gave me various reasons why he thinks this is happening, though I'm pretty sure he doesn't really know. He stated that all the Pilots on his lot were tested and all had delayed starts. This is not "normal" behavior for a car with 2000 miles on it. This is my third Honda...and if Honda doesn't make this right, it will be my last.

Suggested Improvements

I did a little internet research and found that this is a known defect with the Honda Pilot. Honda needs to admit that a problem exists and take the necessary steps to fix it.

Honda Sucks
By Benrard

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I took the truck to different dealers to diagnoses a hesitation in the transmission. All they did was to upgrade the computer system. After insisting that the symptom was not but a product of my imagination, the recall came trough. The second gear was burn and the transaxle was not engaging anymore. The car has a lot of push with 245hp. However the pulling is barely getting by without hurting the 4 wheel system and a $5000 out of my pocket. I am fighting Honda for the warranty that just pass the 1000 over. Buyer beware, Honda is great for cars and light vehicles. Please do not try their trucks and expected them to pull like an American.

Favorite Features

Spacious

Suggested Improvements

Get something with Heavy Duty Warranty or make no trucks, please......?

Disapointed in the Honda Pilot Quality
By LanceFox

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

In the last 12 months I have had my Honda Pilot in to replace the rear drive unit (entire axle), rear spoiler (missing gasket and radio (broken cd button). We have always been a Honda familty but this latest round of Honda Quality has been very dissapointing. It is no wonder that Honda has slipped in thier overall consumer quality ratings (at first I did not belive this). In addition, the Navigation system has very few roads when compared to the Hertz Neverlost System (available in rental cars)and other OEM products. We are at the point where we believe that the premium we paid for the Honda name was not worth it when compared to other vehicles.

Not Impressed with my 1st Honda
By Mr. Bob Honda

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

There is nothing wrong with a Honda, some people are just not meant to drive one. The style I find very boring. More importantly, the stereo speakers are hard to listen to. The steering wheel controls are nice. It would be nicer if you could go forwards and backwards; but you can only go forward with your selections from the steering wheel. So if you like a song on your CD you have to advance through the others to get back to the last song. The other option is to take yours eyes off the road and lean way over to the radio and use the search button. As for fuel mileage, it is about 14-mpg city by my calculations. If you like Honda, you like the Pilot, otherwise keep looking.

Favorite Features

It has started everytime. The safety ratings are important. The standard heated mirrors are pretty hot. The wheels are easy to clean.

Suggested Improvements

Allow forward and backward selection with the steering wheel controls. Get better stereo components. Why have a sub woofer when it cannot handle a little base? The lumbar adjustment is useless. Put in power seats for the passenger, Honda stop being cheap. 35 K for a car should include some luxury.