Used 2004 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews - 553 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Owned for 7 years and still love it
By Mom in Minnesota

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I went to the dealer and after viewing new Pilots, and knowing how great the one I already own is, I decided to wait 2-3 more years to trade it in on a new one. My Pilot has been great to own, I have not had any problems except to replace the brakes and tires. It always starts, and runs great. I would buy another exactly if I did not want to upgrade to leather and change colors!

8 person seating, and realibity

bad vibration on the highway with windows open.

Built for Colorado
By Rockies

2004 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Can you say altitude, sun, rain, snow and more sun! This basically describes one spring day in CO. The Pilot masterfully handles all of these elements and delivers a consistent high quality performance. We bought our first Pilot in 2004 - an LX. We put Michelin LX M/S tires on and enjoyed the ride of our lives. During back road driving in the Christmas blizzard of 2009 in Texas, the Pilot delivered everything our family needed. We locked in the four-wheel drive and toured some snowy farm roads on the way to the hotel- picking up a family of four stuck in their two-wheel drive. We bought a 2006 EXL -more Michelin tires and the freak blizzard in Denver last Tuesday was cake. Love this SUV!

The versatility and roominess are great. The 4WD is a must for Colorado Roads. The heated mirrors have come in handy

Its pretty much Mary Poppins - none suggested.

Best for our needs
By admanc

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After researching several types of SUVs with 3rd row seating, we narrowed our list down to the Pilot. We found a great deal on one at a local used car lot and it was in excellent shape. This is truly the vehicle our family needed and its features adequately meet our criteria.

Roominess, comfort, reputation, styling, color.

My only 2 gripes are that I wish the acceleration was a bit stronger and that the factory stereo system sounds like it is of poor quality. Consequently, I will be upgrading the speakers very soon.

Heated Driver's Seat - FIRE HAZARD!
By LorenzoRota

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2004 Honda Pilot with 39,000 miles has problem with the driver's side seat heater. It gets dangerously hot to point of burning. If you to to the NHTSA incident database or to Edmunds discussion group , you will find several complaints about this same exact problem. All complaints reference a 2004 Pilot: seat gets EXTREMELY HOT on right side of driver seat. Some people have had FIRES OR SMOKE coming from seat. I contacted Honda Customer service and they refused to acknowledge any problem or to remedy the problem reported as a safety problem. Yes, it is out of warranty but a seat FIRE is a serious safety issue!

It appears that certain 2004 pilots have a fire safety hazard in their heated seats. Be very careful and turn off seat as soon as you feel unusual heat.

Can't go wrong w/the Pilot
By bob

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this new, now 5 years and 90K+ miles later still love this Pilot! Very reliable, great mileage (20+ in daily commuting) when lead shoe isn't worn, only maintenance & tires to date. It's not 'sexy' but it's not supposed to be either. Regularly haul 3-8 total (adults + teens) with no problem. Highly recommend any Pilot.

Mileage, heated seats, visibility, interior room.

Could use additional noise reduction insulation.