Used 2004 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Best for our needs
By admanc

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After researching several types of SUVs with 3rd row seating, we narrowed our list down to the Pilot. We found a great deal on one at a local used car lot and it was in excellent shape. This is truly the vehicle our family needed and its features adequately meet our criteria.

Favorite Features

Roominess, comfort, reputation, styling, color.

Suggested Improvements

My only 2 gripes are that I wish the acceleration was a bit stronger and that the factory stereo system sounds like it is of poor quality. Consequently, I will be upgrading the speakers very soon.

Heated Driver's Seat - FIRE HAZARD!
By LorenzoRota

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2004 Honda Pilot with 39,000 miles has problem with the driver's side seat heater. It gets dangerously hot to point of burning. If you to to the NHTSA incident database or to Edmunds discussion group , you will find several complaints about this same exact problem. All complaints reference a 2004 Pilot: seat gets EXTREMELY HOT on right side of driver seat. Some people have had FIRES OR SMOKE coming from seat. I contacted Honda Customer service and they refused to acknowledge any problem or to remedy the problem reported as a safety problem. Yes, it is out of warranty but a seat FIRE is a serious safety issue!

Suggested Improvements

It appears that certain 2004 pilots have a fire safety hazard in their heated seats. Be very careful and turn off seat as soon as you feel unusual heat.

Can't go wrong w/the Pilot
By bob

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this new, now 5 years and 90K+ miles later still love this Pilot! Very reliable, great mileage (20+ in daily commuting) when lead shoe isn't worn, only maintenance & tires to date. It's not 'sexy' but it's not supposed to be either. Regularly haul 3-8 total (adults + teens) with no problem. Highly recommend any Pilot.

Favorite Features

Mileage, heated seats, visibility, interior room.

Suggested Improvements

Could use additional noise reduction insulation.

Not so sure about Hondas anymore
By Pam

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My husband and I have had several Hondas - some new, some used. In 2003, we decided to buy a new Pilot. All was fine until last year when the air conditioner went out - very costly. Today we found out there is a problem with a rod and the whole engine will have to be torn apart - extremely costly. I am not at all happy with this vehicle that only has 70,000 miles on it and has had all service and oil changes done. My husband always takes great care of our cars. I will re-think another new Honda purchase in the future.

Favorite Features

Nice leather interior. Like the heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a directional gadget like so many newer cars come standard with. In Denver it's not so bad because we have the mountains and we know that's west. But when we travel to flat states and are in unfamiliar areas, it's sometimes nice to know what direction we are headed.

Bulletproof!
By borntodrive

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

There is only one word that describes this car... bulletproof! I'm 18 and thus I have done things to it that I regret, yet barely phases it! It is a ballerina in the snow, and very comfortable for a long drive (I put 50 miles on it a couple days ago) and avoided an accident with my friend (AMAZING brakes). Excellent power too, great soundtrack when you step on it, and not bad mileage when driven correctly! Had a friend say she liked this car better than my friend's 6 month old Grand Cherokee. Very roomy in the back, routinely transports 4 friends with no problems. Not another car among us that can do it so well (save for my moms minivan). Some of my friends call it "The Beast". It sure is!

Favorite Features

Driver's side seat heater best in business... very smooth throttle response, amazing brakes, good handling, nice ride, very roomy, GREAT egronomics.

Suggested Improvements

NOTHING!