Used 2004 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews - 554 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

documented torque converter problems...DON"T BUY
By hapeacres

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a used 04 Pilot with 100K from a used car lot for 9,000. The car drove great during the test drive. On the way home I felt a "rumble strip" like noise under the car when exiting the highway at about 40 mph. I found out that the torque converter is a common problem and leads to transmission failure on the 03 to 05 Pilots.
Acura did recall on this same problem. Why not Honda? Are they waiting for someone to die? My car was bought "as is" so I am S*** out of luck. I am still a Honda fan as I bought an 08 CRV for my wife which performs flawlessly, as well as two ATV's which I beat the snot out of. However, I am ready for a class action suit on this one!

Still great after 8 years and over 200k miles
By ldd12

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2004 Pilot EXL is still great after 8 years and over 200,000 miles.

I bought it in spring of '06 when it had 50k miles, so someone before me drove a lot, too. I've not had all the issues I've read about, but I don't abuse the vehicle. I get oil changes every 5-6k miles, but do spread out the scheduled maintenances and fluid changes a bit more due to quickly rolling up highway miles.

My Pilot replaced a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 that had the gas-guzzling 5.2 liter V8. The main reason I replaced the JGC was due to terrible gas mileage (9-15) and slipping transmission. I've not had any transmission issues with my Pilot, but I don't abuse it, either!

Very comfortable seats, good gas mileage for an AWD SUV, good cargo space and 3rd row seating when needed, smooth ride on freeways and maneuverability in city traffic, fewer blind spots than in other SUVs, and nice styling (not over the top like where some SUVs have gone). While this is mainly a suburban/city vehicle, I do take it regularly to our cabin in the mountains which has a hilly gravel road and it does fine with the steep drive, slippery gravel and occasional mud--but I don't treat it like I'm going 4-wheeling in my nephew's old-time Jeep CJ!

The only thing I don't *love* about my '04 Pilot is that the rear tailgate window doesn't open independently of the tailgate, but this window does open in newer models. Other than that, I hope Honda has corrected whatever transmission issues some other owners have had.

Disappointment!
By mansell2004

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When my husband died I decided to trade our Honda accord in for a fourwheel drive Honda Pilot.
We had been so pleased with our other cars that I felt sure that the Pilot would probably be my last car, We had put so many trouble free miles on the earlier cars, and I had all the confidence in the world in Honda.
This no longer holds true. I was totally amazed when I had to spend over $3000.00 to replace the transmission with a little over 80,000 miles on my car.The Honda dealer wanted over $4,000.00. Then I find this was a well know problem when I purchased it.
I will never recommend Honda to anyone again!!

Make sure that any problems on recalls are taken care of. I bought this new and have not moved!!

Seven years and counting!
By shaymilr

2004 Honda Pilot LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I highly recommend this vehicle!
I bought the Pilot new and have driven it now for a little over 7 years and 90k miles.
Every time I get behind the wheel I catch myself thinking, "I love this car."
The vehicle has been so reliable and trouble-free.
I also can't get over the comfort of the seats and the great visibility while driving.
My college daughter needs a car now and on one hand I think I should pass the Pilot along to her but on the other hand, how can I let it go when I love it so much?!

Comfort and no blind spots. Good passenger seating and flexible seat arrangements. Good engine power. Rear A/C unit.

Timing belt expense.

Like this better than any new one
By Bob

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new, still running great at over 90K. Comfortable and non-fatiguing--I've driven dozens of 1000+ mile trips in it, most in 1 shot. I love the storage space between the front seats--still haven't seen another SUV like it. Brakes started pulsing at 45K, machining helps only temporarily. Cannot get EPA gas mileage. I like at new SUVs, and just don't see anything I'd like better, so I'll just keep this one as long as it's reliable.

Comfy ride especially on long trips, convenient center console storage

Better brake rotors and better fuel economy.