Used 2004 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Seven years and counting!
By shaymilr

2004 Honda Pilot LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I highly recommend this vehicle! I bought the Pilot new and have driven it now for a little over 7 years and 90k miles. Every time I get behind the wheel I catch myself thinking, "I love this car." The vehicle has been so reliable and trouble-free. I also can't get over the comfort of the seats and the great visibility while driving. My college daughter needs a car now and on one hand I think I should pass the Pilot along to her but on the other hand, how can I let it go when I love it so much?!

Favorite Features

Comfort and no blind spots. Good passenger seating and flexible seat arrangements. Good engine power. Rear A/C unit.

Suggested Improvements

Timing belt expense.

Like this better than any new one
By Bob

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new, still running great at over 90K. Comfortable and non-fatiguing--I've driven dozens of 1000+ mile trips in it, most in 1 shot. I love the storage space between the front seats--still haven't seen another SUV like it. Brakes started pulsing at 45K, machining helps only temporarily. Cannot get EPA gas mileage. I like at new SUVs, and just don't see anything I'd like better, so I'll just keep this one as long as it's reliable.

Favorite Features

Comfy ride especially on long trips, convenient center console storage

Suggested Improvements

Better brake rotors and better fuel economy.

First suv
By hondo

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

What's not to like? Never thought I'd own an SUV. Pilot gives better mileage than my Subaru. Reliability can't compare. Changed tires at 60k, brakes at 90k, brake light bulb, headlamps, now at 104k miles.

Favorite Features

Space, handling, secure ride, reliability, functionality, steering wheel mounted stereo and cruise controls.

Suggested Improvements

Dual temperature control, different hatch handle, side curtain air bags, eliminate timing belt replacement.

Love the pilot, strange noise from under
By Westover57

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very happy with the pilot, have owned it for 6 months, we have had a strange noise coming from under the vehicle almost sounds like the cooling fans just take off at a very high speed and stop. And the suspension has a issue with hopping sometimes. Have brought back to the dealership 3 times and the truck won't make the noise nor will it act up at all. Thinking about asking for them to take the truck back if they can not find the problem. We really like this vehicle, its a good solid SUV.

Favorite Features

The room in the interior and the comfort, its a heavy SUV so you get a nice ride and we pull a pop up camper and there is no problems.

Suggested Improvements

none from me,just hope they can find the problems that we are experiencing.

Great concept, mixed bag on execution
By Seattle

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Pilot brand new in 2/2004 as a "do it all" vehicle. We looked at the Highlander (too expensive & small) and the Forester XT (way fun to drive but alas, too small. We ended up buying the Piolt EX-L. We are impressed with the ride quality and the road manners. A couple of faults have dampened our enthusiasm. The main seal started leaking oil at 55,000 miles. The dealer took care of that under warranty. Driver's side seat- heater went on the blink and burned your tush. This is a known issue with the pilot and the dealer denied that it was a problem. Brake rotors warping & paint job is uneven. Honda could have done better! A tip for Honda, listen to your customers! Don't be arrogant

Favorite Features

Ride quality, space utilization, traction in inclement weather.

Suggested Improvements

Paint quality, road noise, larger brake rotors, tune engine for low-end torque, listen to your customers when they bring problems to your attention!