2004 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
Love the pilot, strange noise from under
By Westover57 on 08/31/10 20:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very happy with the pilot, have owned it for 6 months, we have had a strange noise coming from under the vehicle almost sounds like the cooling fans just take off at a very high speed and stop. And the suspension has a issue with hopping sometimes. Have brought back to the dealership 3 times and the truck won't make the noise nor will it act up at all. Thinking about asking for them to take the truck back if they can not find the problem. We really like this vehicle, its a good solid SUV.

Great concept, mixed bag on execution
By Seattle on 08/30/10 14:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Pilot brand new in 2/2004 as a "do it all" vehicle. We looked at the Highlander (too expensive & small) and the Forester XT (way fun to drive but alas, too small. We ended up buying the Piolt EX-L. We are impressed with the ride quality and the road manners. A couple of faults have dampened our enthusiasm. The main seal started leaking oil at 55,000 miles. The dealer took care of that under warranty. Driver's side seat- heater went on the blink and burned your tush. This is a known issue with the pilot and the dealer denied that it was a problem. Brake rotors warping & paint job is uneven. Honda could have done better! A tip for Honda, listen to your customers! Don't be arrogant

Honda pilot transmission is horrible
By proudmom0507 on 08/05/10 09:40 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I first bought it I loved it. But then soon after I had the transmission go out and after research found a recall on the transmission. Honda has not been helpful at all. Now I have to go pay 4000+ to get my car fixed although it should be their money paying for it since it was recalled. They said they fixed it by putting in an oil jet kit but it is far from fixed! Very disappointed! Also the drivers side seat gets very hot to the point where I start smelling my clothes almost burning! So much for heated seats when you cannot use them.

Solid SUV
By Pilot Owner on 07/01/10 09:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this SUV for six and a half years. The car is very reliable. Besides the normal maintenance (oil, brakes, batter), the car has needed new rear shocks ($450 at 66K miles) and two new engine mounts ($650 at 68K miles). The shocks were blown because we overloaded the car on a long trip, but the engine mounts are a common problem for Odysseys and Pilots. We love the car because it is powerful and does the job.

Unsatisfactory paint
By mrs1709 on 06/16/10 14:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The paint is literally peeling off of my pilot. It all started when the vehicle was about 3 years old, I contacted Honda who told me it was due to using car washes instead of hand washing. Ha, it's never been in a car wash but still they would do nothing. Now I must pay for a paint job before winter because it is rusting. My Honda is the blue metallic and the paint is horrible! Shame on you Honda!

Owned for 7 years and still love it
By Mom in Minnesota on 04/27/10 10:19 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I went to the dealer and after viewing new Pilots, and knowing how great the one I already own is, I decided to wait 2-3 more years to trade it in on a new one. My Pilot has been great to own, I have not had any problems except to replace the brakes and tires. It always starts, and runs great. I would buy another exactly if I did not want to upgrade to leather and change colors!

Built for Colorado
By Rockies on 03/27/10 16:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Can you say altitude, sun, rain, snow and more sun! This basically describes one spring day in CO. The Pilot masterfully handles all of these elements and delivers a consistent high quality performance. We bought our first Pilot in 2004 - an LX. We put Michelin LX M/S tires on and enjoyed the ride of our lives. During back road driving in the Christmas blizzard of 2009 in Texas, the Pilot delivered everything our family needed. We locked in the four-wheel drive and toured some snowy farm roads on the way to the hotel- picking up a family of four stuck in their two-wheel drive. We bought a 2006 EXL -more Michelin tires and the freak blizzard in Denver last Tuesday was cake. Love this SUV!

Best for our needs
By admanc on 03/18/10 14:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After researching several types of SUVs with 3rd row seating, we narrowed our list down to the Pilot. We found a great deal on one at a local used car lot and it was in excellent shape. This is truly the vehicle our family needed and its features adequately meet our criteria.

Heated Driver's Seat - FIRE HAZARD!
By LorenzoRota on 03/05/10 13:26 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2004 Honda Pilot with 39,000 miles has problem with the driver's side seat heater. It gets dangerously hot to point of burning. If you to to the NHTSA incident database or to Edmunds discussion group , you will find several complaints about this same exact problem. All complaints reference a 2004 Pilot: seat gets EXTREMELY HOT on right side of driver seat. Some people have had FIRES OR SMOKE coming from seat. I contacted Honda Customer service and they refused to acknowledge any problem or to remedy the problem reported as a safety problem. Yes, it is out of warranty but a seat FIRE is a serious safety issue!

Can't go wrong w/the Pilot
By bob on 01/08/10 11:04 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this new, now 5 years and 90K+ miles later still love this Pilot! Very reliable, great mileage (20+ in daily commuting) when lead shoe isn't worn, only maintenance & tires to date. It's not 'sexy' but it's not supposed to be either. Regularly haul 3-8 total (adults + teens) with no problem. Highly recommend any Pilot.