Used 2004 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews - 553 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

My 2004 Honda pilot EX
By Martin Cooke

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My Honda pilot has never let me down it's good in the rain in the snow gets me were ever I have to go . It's very comfortable and wants to cruise control is set on the open road I have to do very little except for stay awake and steer . Honda has been very good at doing all the recalls and their service is excellent .

Best car EVER!
By Pam Brockhaus

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We love our Honda Pilot... We live in Colorado along the I25 corridor and this car is subjected daily to a miserable commute 60 miles daily in all kinds of weather and it has performed beautifully! We have nearly 209,000 miles on it and have only had one issue with it, the power steering was giving us some issues at about the ten year mark... Honda worked through it, even called in the engineers that designed the car and figured out that it was a pinhole leak in the vacuum hose... Honda covered EVERYTHING and we didn't pay a dime... Wonderful support from the dealer and manufacturer! The car has been driven across country a half dozen times and is so comfortable to drive on the long haul... I hope to keep it for another ten years! Just get the oil changed religiously and do the maintenance and Hondas will last forever! My first Honda was a 1988 Civic with a manual transmission and I drove that for 250,000 miles...

bad year for pilots
By pilotfixer1

2004 Honda Pilot LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

If you have a chance to buy another make of small SUV you will be money ahead to go with that make.

We have had nothing but trouble with this vehicle from the doors locking while charging the A/C, to when the battery is going bad the oil light comes on and the oil level and pressure is fine, to the ignition not accepting the key that I have been using for the last 3 years, to the transmission making a rumbling noise if the oil is not changed every 10,000 miles (the manual recommends every 30,000 miles).

Not to mention the huge problem with mice getting into the interior of this vehicle.

And these are just the major problems. And we have only owned it for 3.5 years.

Fix the electrical problems. Also fix the problems with mice getting into the interior of the vehicle. Recall all pilots so that the mice cannot get into the interior and cause an electrical fire because of the wires that these mice chew on (a possible safety concern)

Ideal large family vehicle
By floridamom6

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The car has a smooth ride, and road noise is minimal on highway. We added a hitch and roof rack, and with 6 adults and loaded with cargo, the car handles quite nicely except that it is underpowered, especially if it's fully loaded. Acceleration and hill climbs are slower than I would like. This car has a lot of cargo space with room for car seats in 2nd and 3rd rows, though access to 3rd row can be a bit challenging for an average adult. 3rd row is best for kids or small adults as legroom is limited. We are happy with this car. Great family or roadtrip vehicle. It's held its value well, and we will be holding on to it for a long time.

We like the roominess for passengers and the cargo space available when 3rd row is down. 3rd row seating is nice, and it even has cupholders and good visibility out of rear side windows. Legroom in 3rd row is okay for small adults, but 2nd row is quite comfortable for an 3 average or larger adults or 3 car seats. Car handles highway drives very well. Seats are comfortable for long trips, and ride is smooth. Car has held up quite well over our 4 year ownership term. We also use it for camping trips and have had no issue with trekking over rocky, muddy, or dirty roads. Highly recommend!

Car is underpowered for its size especially when fully loaded with passengers and/or cargo, but we handle this aspect by just driving more conservatively. Fuel economy is not great, but that's not unexpected for a full size SUV with 4x4 capacity. We really don't' have any complaints beyond this. We are very happy with it as a family and roadtrip vehicle.

240K+ miles and still going strong!
By gymeni

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new in October 2003 and it had 31 miles on it when I drove it off the lot. I now have over 240K miles on it and the only issues I have ever had with it are: driver's door handle had to be replaced after not being able to open the door from the inside, AC compressor went out once. This car has been subject to at least 3 Honda recalls, one being the transmission issue. I will continue to drive it until the wheels fall off. My 1st gen (1997) CRV, which I also bought brand new, is still on the road today with another owner as well. Bought my daughter a new 2009 Fit as a graduation gift. She treats it like her baby! I stand by Honda, trying to decide which I will buy next.

This vehicle accelerates well and smoothly. I love the fact that it's roomy and has a large cargo area.

I don't know what features are present in later models, but surely they've changed with the times and probably consist of everything I'd currently want in a vehicle.