Used 2004 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Most Helpful|
2004 Honda Pilot EX-L
By flamio

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car with over a 100K on it and have had it for about a year. So far it has been fantastic! It has nice power and runs very well. A couple months ago I hit a big Ohio deer and I barely felt it. Me and my family were completely safe, which made me very happy I bought this SUV. Last winter I could not get my Odyssey up my long driveway in the snow, with this, it's a breeze. The leather is comfortable. The kids love the heated seats. I'm 6'4" and it's very roomy. Sound system is awesome. I average about 19.6mpg. On a long trip through Canada I actually had 25mpg highway. It's used, buy the extended warranty if you're worried about the tranny going and drive worry free!

Favorite Features

Black color. Looks. Traction. Comfort. Heated seats. Speakers.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder angles up front. Longer trunk area.

Still great after 8 years and over 200k miles
By ldd12

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2004 Pilot EXL is still great after 8 years and over 200,000 miles. I bought it in spring of '06 when it had 50k miles, so someone before me drove a lot, too. I've not had all the issues I've read about, but I don't abuse the vehicle. I get oil changes every 5-6k miles, but do spread out the scheduled maintenances and fluid changes a bit more due to quickly rolling up highway miles. My Pilot replaced a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 that had the gas-guzzling 5.2 liter V8. The main reason I replaced the JGC was due to terrible gas mileage (9-15) and slipping transmission. I've not had any transmission issues with my Pilot, but I don't abuse it, either!

Favorite Features

Very comfortable seats, good gas mileage for an AWD SUV, good cargo space and 3rd row seating when needed, smooth ride on freeways and maneuverability in city traffic, fewer blind spots than in other SUVs, and nice styling (not over the top like where some SUVs have gone). While this is mainly a suburban/city vehicle, I do take it regularly to our cabin in the mountains which has a hilly gravel road and it does fine with the steep drive, slippery gravel and occasional mud--but I don't treat it like I'm going 4-wheeling in my nephew's old-time Jeep CJ!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I don't *love* about my '04 Pilot is that the rear tailgate window doesn't open independently of the tailgate, but this window does open in newer models. Other than that, I hope Honda has corrected whatever transmission issues some other owners have had.

LOVE my Pilot
By mathspiffy

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Pilot in Feb. 2012. It had approximately 87,000 miles on it. I upgraded from a Honda Civic to get more space for kids, cargo, and to have a great roadtrip vehicle for the family. Our Pilot has been everything we needed and more. All we've done is regular maintenance, and we have had no problems. It drives like a dream on the highway and has TONS of space for carseats, kid stuff, and other cargo. We are adding a hitch for a cargo rack and the running boards next, and it'll be perfect. We are very pleased with our Pilot and will be keeping it as long as it runs!

Favorite Features

+ Lots of cargo and headroom + 3 carseats can fit in the back + Third row seat is great for carrying more kids or road trips with the family + Smooth easy ride on the highway + Tight turning radius for a car of its size making parking in tight spots easy + Good factory sound system + Easy to install hitch, running boards, and roof rack + Reasonable MPG for its size and class

Suggested Improvements

- I'd love to have full 4x4 in this vehicle, but the VTM-4 feature is good for emergencies - Leather was cracked and pretty worn on the front seats but doesn't snag clothing and isn't torn. - We installed an iPod jack which took a professional installation. It was not something we could do easily on our own. - 3rd row seat is only good for small adults or kids. Not a full size seat, but back seats are plenty big and roomy for adults.

Like this better than any new one
By Bob

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new, still running great at over 90K. Comfortable and non-fatiguing--I've driven dozens of 1000+ mile trips in it, most in 1 shot. I love the storage space between the front seats--still haven't seen another SUV like it. Brakes started pulsing at 45K, machining helps only temporarily. Cannot get EPA gas mileage. I like at new SUVs, and just don't see anything I'd like better, so I'll just keep this one as long as it's reliable.

Favorite Features

Comfy ride especially on long trips, convenient center console storage

Suggested Improvements

Better brake rotors and better fuel economy.

documented torque converter problems...DON"T BUY
By hapeacres

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a used 04 Pilot with 100K from a used car lot for 9,000. The car drove great during the test drive. On the way home I felt a "rumble strip" like noise under the car when exiting the highway at about 40 mph. I found out that the torque converter is a common problem and leads to transmission failure on the 03 to 05 Pilots. Acura did recall on this same problem. Why not Honda? Are they waiting for someone to die? My car was bought "as is" so I am S*** out of luck. I am still a Honda fan as I bought an 08 CRV for my wife which performs flawlessly, as well as two ATV's which I beat the snot out of. However, I am ready for a class action suit on this one!