2004 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
Cheap Air Conditioner
By anthonysch on 01/09/13 14:49 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Pilot in 04 and it has been mechanically reliable and comfortable with the exception of the AC. After 45k the compressor went out and I was quoted 1500 dollars for the repair. I also had another Honda with the same problem. The dealership was willing to give me a small break on the repair, no doubt because they are fully aware of the problem. I have 200k on my Camry and the air works great. Honda, please upgrade your cheap ACs.

Like this better than any new one
By Bob on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new, still running great at over 90K. Comfortable and non-fatiguing--I've driven dozens of 1000+ mile trips in it, most in 1 shot. I love the storage space between the front seats--still haven't seen another SUV like it. Brakes started pulsing at 45K, machining helps only temporarily. Cannot get EPA gas mileage. I like at new SUVs, and just don't see anything I'd like better, so I'll just keep this one as long as it's reliable.

Solid SUV
By Pilot Owner on 07/01/10 09:11 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this SUV for six and a half years. The car is very reliable. Besides the normal maintenance (oil, brakes, batter), the car has needed new rear shocks ($450 at 66K miles) and two new engine mounts ($650 at 68K miles). The shocks were blown because we overloaded the car on a long trip, but the engine mounts are a common problem for Odysseys and Pilots. We love the car because it is powerful and does the job.

Owned for 7 years and still love it
By Mom in Minnesota on 04/27/10 10:19 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I went to the dealer and after viewing new Pilots, and knowing how great the one I already own is, I decided to wait 2-3 more years to trade it in on a new one. My Pilot has been great to own, I have not had any problems except to replace the brakes and tires. It always starts, and runs great. I would buy another exactly if I did not want to upgrade to leather and change colors!

Will buy again
By Jon on 12/07/09 14:27 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car for my wife who was returning to work. I wanted something that was reliable, got decent gas mileage, was able to get around in the snow, and could tow a boat. The Pilot has stood up to all of these demands and then some. It is fun to drive, has great acceleration, gets around great in all weather and has been reliable (except when we leave the dome lights on and the battery goes dead). We have used it to tow a boat that weighs about 4500 (Regal 2100 LSR). We started camping/boating and had to add a Suburban due to load and room limits. Now my son drives the Pilot, and we feel comfortable with the safety aspects of the vehicle as well. I would buy a Pilot again.

Pretty good all-arounder
By K on 10/21/09 20:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it at 45K now at 65K only 2 minor issues. Coolant crossover??? and a back light on the HVAC controls. The 4 kids (one in a car seat) my wife and small dog and I fit well enough but if we actually want to take anything with us especially for an overnighter, storage space can be tight even with the 60/40 split 3rd row. Bought a roof bag for camping/cottaging. I hate the plastic bug deflector (aftermarket but bought and installed by Honda); it vibrates and makes a very loud noise over 65 and on my second one now same thing. But I'm nitpicking, overall it's a good all round vehicle that would fit well with someone who can sacrifice a little space and just doesn't want to drive a minivan.

Honda rocks
By abulazeez on 02/24/09 00:32 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We love this SUV so much, it moves very fast, just like rocket, fun to drive. The 4x4 is very fantastic. I enjoy driving in turbulent off road terrain. It is a wonderful SUV. Will recommend it for every one.

Hard To Beat A Honda
By rdanderson on 01/17/09 08:36 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had good luck with Hondas in the past and this Pilot did not disappoint. It is a very comfortable car to drive. I drive it in the mountains often and it handles the curves and snow very well. I don't find the road noise to be a problem - it is quieter than my CRV. The gas mileage isn't great - about 18 around town - but I knew that when I purchased it. Not a deal breaker for me. I find the cargo space to be quite adequate for my needs; and the heated seats are a definite plus. How about adding a heated steering wheel?

No Repairs Yet!
By Stacy H on 12/27/08 17:04 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new. It has NEVER had a problem ( besides battery and brakes) I have 80,000 miles. I was hit by a Taurus, I got out of the Honda and could not see a dent, finally I saw it, only $900 to repair (Taurus totalled) These are great cars, mileage could be better, wind noise bad, great product.

Almost Great
By Nole Man on 12/26/08 09:43 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I really like the overall practicality of this vehicle. It's roomy and not bad if you have to carry passengers in the 3rd row. For short trips at least. The only beef I have is the quality of the interior materials in certain places. Things like the air vents, climate control knobs are made from some of the flimsiest plastic I've ever seen in a car. I expect more from Honda.