Used 2004 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

bad year for pilots
By pilotfixer1

2004 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

If you have a chance to buy another make of small SUV you will be money ahead to go with that make. We have had nothing but trouble with this vehicle from the doors locking while charging the A/C, to when the battery is going bad the oil light comes on and the oil level and pressure is fine, to the ignition not accepting the key that I have been using for the last 3 years, to the transmission making a rumbling noise if the oil is not changed every 10,000 miles (the manual recommends every 30,000 miles). Not to mention the huge problem with mice getting into the interior of this vehicle. And these are just the major problems. And we have only owned it for 3.5 years.

Fix the electrical problems. Also fix the problems with mice getting into the interior of the vehicle. Recall all pilots so that the mice cannot get into the interior and cause an electrical fire because of the wires that these mice chew on (a possible safety concern)

Ideal large family vehicle
By floridamom6

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The car has a smooth ride, and road noise is minimal on highway. We added a hitch and roof rack, and with 6 adults and loaded with cargo, the car handles quite nicely except that it is underpowered, especially if it's fully loaded. Acceleration and hill climbs are slower than I would like. This car has a lot of cargo space with room for car seats in 2nd and 3rd rows, though access to 3rd row can be a bit challenging for an average adult. 3rd row is best for kids or small adults as legroom is limited. We are happy with this car. Great family or roadtrip vehicle. It's held its value well, and we will be holding on to it for a long time.

We like the roominess for passengers and the cargo space available when 3rd row is down. 3rd row seating is nice, and it even has cupholders and good visibility out of rear side windows. Legroom in 3rd row is okay for small adults, but 2nd row is quite comfortable for an 3 average or larger adults or 3 car seats. Car handles highway drives very well. Seats are comfortable for long trips, and ride is smooth. Car has held up quite well over our 4 year ownership term. We also use it for camping trips and have had no issue with trekking over rocky, muddy, or dirty roads. Highly recommend!

Car is underpowered for its size especially when fully loaded with passengers and/or cargo, but we handle this aspect by just driving more conservatively. Fuel economy is not great, but that's not unexpected for a full size SUV with 4x4 capacity. We really don't' have any complaints beyond this. We are very happy with it as a family and roadtrip vehicle.

240K+ miles and still going strong!
By gymeni

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new in October 2003 and it had 31 miles on it when I drove it off the lot. I now have over 240K miles on it and the only issues I have ever had with it are: driver's door handle had to be replaced after not being able to open the door from the inside, AC compressor went out once. This car has been subject to at least 3 Honda recalls, one being the transmission issue. I will continue to drive it until the wheels fall off. My 1st gen (1997) CRV, which I also bought brand new, is still on the road today with another owner as well. Bought my daughter a new 2009 Fit as a graduation gift. She treats it like her baby! I stand by Honda, trying to decide which I will buy next.

This vehicle accelerates well and smoothly. I love the fact that it's roomy and has a large cargo area.

I don't know what features are present in later models, but surely they've changed with the times and probably consist of everything I'd currently want in a vehicle.

Cheap Air Conditioner
By anthonysch

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Pilot in 04 and it has been mechanically reliable and comfortable with the exception of the AC. After 45k the compressor went out and I was quoted 1500 dollars for the repair. I also had another Honda with the same problem. The dealership was willing to give me a small break on the repair, no doubt because they are fully aware of the problem. I have 200k on my Camry and the air works great. Honda, please upgrade your cheap ACs.

the good old days when my AC worked.

Honda, please upgrade your cheap AC Compressors and the cheap plastic near the seat adjustment switches that break too easily.

LOVE my Pilot
By mathspiffy

2004 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Pilot in Feb. 2012. It had approximately 87,000 miles on it. I upgraded from a Honda Civic to get more space for kids, cargo, and to have a great roadtrip vehicle for the family. Our Pilot has been everything we needed and more. All we've done is regular maintenance, and we have had no problems. It drives like a dream on the highway and has TONS of space for carseats, kid stuff, and other cargo. We are adding a hitch for a cargo rack and the running boards next, and it'll be perfect. We are very pleased with our Pilot and will be keeping it as long as it runs!

+ Lots of cargo and headroom + 3 carseats can fit in the back + Third row seat is great for carrying more kids or road trips with the family + Smooth easy ride on the highway + Tight turning radius for a car of its size making parking in tight spots easy + Good factory sound system + Easy to install hitch, running boards, and roof rack + Reasonable MPG for its size and class

- I'd love to have full 4x4 in this vehicle, but the VTM-4 feature is good for emergencies - Leather was cracked and pretty worn on the front seats but doesn't snag clothing and isn't torn. - We installed an iPod jack which took a professional installation. It was not something we could do easily on our own. - 3rd row seat is only good for small adults or kids. Not a full size seat, but back seats are plenty big and roomy for adults.