Used 2004 Honda Pilot EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Still great after 8 years and over 200k miles
By ldd12

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2004 Pilot EXL is still great after 8 years and over 200,000 miles. I bought it in spring of '06 when it had 50k miles, so someone before me drove a lot, too. I've not had all the issues I've read about, but I don't abuse the vehicle. I get oil changes every 5-6k miles, but do spread out the scheduled maintenances and fluid changes a bit more due to quickly rolling up highway miles. My Pilot replaced a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 that had the gas-guzzling 5.2 liter V8. The main reason I replaced the JGC was due to terrible gas mileage (9-15) and slipping transmission. I've not had any transmission issues with my Pilot, but I don't abuse it, either!

Favorite Features

Very comfortable seats, good gas mileage for an AWD SUV, good cargo space and 3rd row seating when needed, smooth ride on freeways and maneuverability in city traffic, fewer blind spots than in other SUVs, and nice styling (not over the top like where some SUVs have gone). While this is mainly a suburban/city vehicle, I do take it regularly to our cabin in the mountains which has a hilly gravel road and it does fine with the steep drive, slippery gravel and occasional mud--but I don't treat it like I'm going 4-wheeling in my nephew's old-time Jeep CJ!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I don't *love* about my '04 Pilot is that the rear tailgate window doesn't open independently of the tailgate, but this window does open in newer models. Other than that, I hope Honda has corrected whatever transmission issues some other owners have had.

Still love my Pilot after 6 months
By misswater

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great SUV, more comfortable than 2004 Toyota Highlander. I made right choice.

Favorite Features

Navigation System

Suggested Improvements

sunroof/moonroof

great engineering
By dykhuis

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The fit and finish is the best of any SUV/Van I have owned. There are no rattles and squeeks. Lots of interior flexibility/space for large or small families. Sharp turning radius comes in handy for tight parking spots. Climbs over hills/mountains effortlessly with 255 HP engine.

Suggested Improvements

none

Enjoyable SUV
By Lanie

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Pilot first the get-go. It is fun to drive, seats the kids and dogs and groceries and whatever I pick up during the day. The GPS could be better, more detailed. The MPG is NOT the advertised MPG I get...I get much less. Wish I could have gotten the GPS and the DVD system together...wanted Honda to add DVD on but they said no go.

Favorite Features

GPS most times, can be tricky deciding town vs township,etc. Locates Honda dealers on the map tho!!!

Suggested Improvements

Make it possible to have DVD and GPS. Have actual fuel/mileage be accurate. Could have added heated mirrors and seats to the 2003 models, we trusted you first Honda! and to those who waited, rats!

I love my pilot
By Steven323

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is one of the best riding most confortable cars I've ever been in. It's got a very smooth ride that you really can see when you drive over bumps or tracks. The interior is extremely friendly and convienent to the driver. The passenger seating is also very confortable. The center cosole with power outlets inside the cosole allows the phone to charge while out of sight. 4 power outlets throughout. Interior lighting great for all passengers individually. Rear seat (for 3) folds completely away easily for increase storage space. Visibility is excellent in all directions. I love my Pilot!!