Used 2004 Honda Pilot EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

240K+ miles and still going strong!
By gymeni

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new in October 2003 and it had 31 miles on it when I drove it off the lot. I now have over 240K miles on it and the only issues I have ever had with it are: driver's door handle had to be replaced after not being able to open the door from the inside, AC compressor went out once. This car has been subject to at least 3 Honda recalls, one being the transmission issue. I will continue to drive it until the wheels fall off. My 1st gen (1997) CRV, which I also bought brand new, is still on the road today with another owner as well. Bought my daughter a new 2009 Fit as a graduation gift. She treats it like her baby! I stand by Honda, trying to decide which I will buy next.

This vehicle accelerates well and smoothly. I love the fact that it's roomy and has a large cargo area.

I don't know what features are present in later models, but surely they've changed with the times and probably consist of everything I'd currently want in a vehicle.

Cheap Air Conditioner
By anthonysch

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Pilot in 04 and it has been mechanically reliable and comfortable with the exception of the AC. After 45k the compressor went out and I was quoted 1500 dollars for the repair. I also had another Honda with the same problem. The dealership was willing to give me a small break on the repair, no doubt because they are fully aware of the problem. I have 200k on my Camry and the air works great. Honda, please upgrade your cheap ACs.

the good old days when my AC worked.

Honda, please upgrade your cheap AC Compressors and the cheap plastic near the seat adjustment switches that break too easily.

Like this better than any new one
By Bob

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new, still running great at over 90K. Comfortable and non-fatiguing--I've driven dozens of 1000+ mile trips in it, most in 1 shot. I love the storage space between the front seats--still haven't seen another SUV like it. Brakes started pulsing at 45K, machining helps only temporarily. Cannot get EPA gas mileage. I like at new SUVs, and just don't see anything I'd like better, so I'll just keep this one as long as it's reliable.

Comfy ride especially on long trips, convenient center console storage

Better brake rotors and better fuel economy.

Solid SUV
By Pilot Owner

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this SUV for six and a half years. The car is very reliable. Besides the normal maintenance (oil, brakes, batter), the car has needed new rear shocks ($450 at 66K miles) and two new engine mounts ($650 at 68K miles). The shocks were blown because we overloaded the car on a long trip, but the engine mounts are a common problem for Odysseys and Pilots. We love the car because it is powerful and does the job.

Good power, versatility, great reliability, lots of storage

Better mileage, longer wheelbase, more rear seat leg room.

Owned for 7 years and still love it
By Mom in Minnesota

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I went to the dealer and after viewing new Pilots, and knowing how great the one I already own is, I decided to wait 2-3 more years to trade it in on a new one. My Pilot has been great to own, I have not had any problems except to replace the brakes and tires. It always starts, and runs great. I would buy another exactly if I did not want to upgrade to leather and change colors!

8 person seating, and realibity

bad vibration on the highway with windows open.