Used 2004 Honda Pilot LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

bad year for pilots
By pilotfixer1

2004 Honda Pilot LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

If you have a chance to buy another make of small SUV you will be money ahead to go with that make. We have had nothing but trouble with this vehicle from the doors locking while charging the A/C, to when the battery is going bad the oil light comes on and the oil level and pressure is fine, to the ignition not accepting the key that I have been using for the last 3 years, to the transmission making a rumbling noise if the oil is not changed every 10,000 miles (the manual recommends every 30,000 miles). Not to mention the huge problem with mice getting into the interior of this vehicle. And these are just the major problems. And we have only owned it for 3.5 years.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the electrical problems. Also fix the problems with mice getting into the interior of the vehicle. Recall all pilots so that the mice cannot get into the interior and cause an electrical fire because of the wires that these mice chew on (a possible safety concern)

Seven years and counting!
By shaymilr

2004 Honda Pilot LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I highly recommend this vehicle! I bought the Pilot new and have driven it now for a little over 7 years and 90k miles. Every time I get behind the wheel I catch myself thinking, "I love this car." The vehicle has been so reliable and trouble-free. I also can't get over the comfort of the seats and the great visibility while driving. My college daughter needs a car now and on one hand I think I should pass the Pilot along to her but on the other hand, how can I let it go when I love it so much?!

Favorite Features

Comfort and no blind spots. Good passenger seating and flexible seat arrangements. Good engine power. Rear A/C unit.

Suggested Improvements

Timing belt expense.

Built for Colorado
By Rockies

2004 Honda Pilot LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Can you say altitude, sun, rain, snow and more sun! This basically describes one spring day in CO. The Pilot masterfully handles all of these elements and delivers a consistent high quality performance. We bought our first Pilot in 2004 - an LX. We put Michelin LX M/S tires on and enjoyed the ride of our lives. During back road driving in the Christmas blizzard of 2009 in Texas, the Pilot delivered everything our family needed. We locked in the four-wheel drive and toured some snowy farm roads on the way to the hotel- picking up a family of four stuck in their two-wheel drive. We bought a 2006 EXL -more Michelin tires and the freak blizzard in Denver last Tuesday was cake. Love this SUV!

Favorite Features

The versatility and roominess are great. The 4WD is a must for Colorado Roads. The heated mirrors have come in handy

Suggested Improvements

Its pretty much Mary Poppins - none suggested.

Amazing!
By Happy Honda Owner

2004 Honda Pilot LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Pilot for 8 months now and I love it. It's clean, comfortable, resourceful, and well built. I have not had any problems whatsoever. It is the smoothest drive and has lots of room, more than a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's great for traveling, camping, fishing, family and more. Everything is durable and well put together, even the engine looks clean and easy to work on if necessary. I would recommend this vehicle to everyone. I haven't been so satisfied with my car like this ever. Before I owned 2 VW Jettas and had nothing but problems and I have never been happier with my Pilot.

Favorite Features

The amount of room, smooth ride, reliable, dependable, great features.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage would be nice, but it's not that bad. Have the head rests be more adjustable and not only go up or down.

One Day and lovin it
By lovin it

2004 Honda Pilot LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Pilot for 1 day i brought it at Honda east. It is certified and has a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty. Great on gas. had 50,500 miles when i brought it. My kids love the 3rd row seat. The trunk is really small when the third row seat is up. Very spacey and reliable.

Favorite Features

3rd row seat, great sound, never squashed, great looks

Suggested Improvements

Bigger Trunk