2004 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
Cheap Air Conditioner
By anthonysch on 01/09/13 14:49 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Pilot in 04 and it has been mechanically reliable and comfortable with the exception of the AC. After 45k the compressor went out and I was quoted 1500 dollars for the repair. I also had another Honda with the same problem. The dealership was willing to give me a small break on the repair, no doubt because they are fully aware of the problem. I have 200k on my Camry and the air works great. Honda, please upgrade your cheap ACs.

LOVE my Pilot
By mathspiffy on 09/29/12 09:20 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Pilot in Feb. 2012. It had approximately 87,000 miles on it. I upgraded from a Honda Civic to get more space for kids, cargo, and to have a great roadtrip vehicle for the family. Our Pilot has been everything we needed and more. All we've done is regular maintenance, and we have had no problems. It drives like a dream on the highway and has TONS of space for carseats, kid stuff, and other cargo. We are adding a hitch for a cargo rack and the running boards next, and it'll be perfect. We are very pleased with our Pilot and will be keeping it as long as it runs!

So far so good........
By fukengroovin on 08/21/12 08:22 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2004 Pilot EX-L in Dec 2008 with 52,900 miles. I'm now at 110,300 miles. I am a DIY mechanic and have done all the scheduled maintenance myself. The 17 city and 22 hwy fuel ratings are not accurate. Best highway was 21 and routinely get 18-19mpg in mixed driving at high altitude in Colorado and Wyoming. When I lived in Southern California, I routinely got 15-16mpg in mixed driving and a highway best of 19. So fuel quality and altitude definitely effect fuel economy. I've replaced motor mounts, spark plugs, shocks/struts, timing belt, and valve adjustments. Overall a great vehicle with no transmission problems.

2004 Honda Pilot EX-L
By flamio on 02/17/12 07:17 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car with over a 100K on it and have had it for about a year. So far it has been fantastic! It has nice power and runs very well. A couple months ago I hit a big Ohio deer and I barely felt it. Me and my family were completely safe, which made me very happy I bought this SUV. Last winter I could not get my Odyssey up my long driveway in the snow, with this, it's a breeze. The leather is comfortable. The kids love the heated seats. I'm 6'4" and it's very roomy. Sound system is awesome. I average about 19.6mpg. On a long trip through Canada I actually had 25mpg highway. It's used, buy the extended warranty if you're worried about the tranny going and drive worry free!

documented torque converter problems...DON"T BUY
By hapeacres on 01/27/12 21:08 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a used 04 Pilot with 100K from a used car lot for 9,000. The car drove great during the test drive. On the way home I felt a "rumble strip" like noise under the car when exiting the highway at about 40 mph. I found out that the torque converter is a common problem and leads to transmission failure on the 03 to 05 Pilots. Acura did recall on this same problem. Why not Honda? Are they waiting for someone to die? My car was bought "as is" so I am S*** out of luck. I am still a Honda fan as I bought an 08 CRV for my wife which performs flawlessly, as well as two ATV's which I beat the snot out of. However, I am ready for a class action suit on this one!

Still great after 8 years and over 200k miles
By ldd12 on 01/18/12 13:59 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather, Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2004 Pilot EXL is still great after 8 years and over 200,000 miles. I bought it in spring of '06 when it had 50k miles, so someone before me drove a lot, too. I've not had all the issues I've read about, but I don't abuse the vehicle. I get oil changes every 5-6k miles, but do spread out the scheduled maintenances and fluid changes a bit more due to quickly rolling up highway miles. My Pilot replaced a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 that had the gas-guzzling 5.2 liter V8. The main reason I replaced the JGC was due to terrible gas mileage (9-15) and slipping transmission. I've not had any transmission issues with my Pilot, but I don't abuse it, either!

Disappointment!
By mansell2004 on 01/05/12 12:48 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When my husband died I decided to trade our Honda accord in for a fourwheel drive Honda Pilot. We had been so pleased with our other cars that I felt sure that the Pilot would probably be my last car, We had put so many trouble free miles on the earlier cars, and I had all the confidence in the world in Honda. This no longer holds true. I was totally amazed when I had to spend over $3000.00 to replace the transmission with a little over 80,000 miles on my car.The Honda dealer wanted over $4,000.00. Then I find this was a well know problem when I purchased it. I will never recommend Honda to anyone again!!

Seven years and counting!
By shaymilr on 10/28/11 15:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Pilot LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I highly recommend this vehicle! I bought the Pilot new and have driven it now for a little over 7 years and 90k miles. Every time I get behind the wheel I catch myself thinking, "I love this car." The vehicle has been so reliable and trouble-free. I also can't get over the comfort of the seats and the great visibility while driving. My college daughter needs a car now and on one hand I think I should pass the Pilot along to her but on the other hand, how can I let it go when I love it so much?!

Like this better than any new one
By Bob on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new, still running great at over 90K. Comfortable and non-fatiguing--I've driven dozens of 1000+ mile trips in it, most in 1 shot. I love the storage space between the front seats--still haven't seen another SUV like it. Brakes started pulsing at 45K, machining helps only temporarily. Cannot get EPA gas mileage. I like at new SUVs, and just don't see anything I'd like better, so I'll just keep this one as long as it's reliable.

First suv
By hondo on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Pilot EX 4WD 4dr SUV w/Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

What's not to like? Never thought I'd own an SUV. Pilot gives better mileage than my Subaru. Reliability can't compare. Changed tires at 60k, brakes at 90k, brake light bulb, headlamps, now at 104k miles.