2003 Honda Pilot Consumer Review: A Great SUV without the bulk

2003 Honda Pilot - Consumer Review

EX 4dr SUV (3.5L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic)

A Great SUV without the bulk
By mcm on

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this is may of 2006 for 18k with 34k miles on it. I replaced the tires and brakes, along with fixing the rear a/c ($50) and 5 minutes of my time to install the new part. My wife primarily drives this car, and she has really enjoyed it. It has proved excellent in the snow here I despite being able to carry 8 people, this car is only slightly longer than my 98 Subaru wagon. We have taken many 1000 miles trips, and have been very impressed in the power and handling. On trips averaging 80-85 mph, we average a bit over 20 mpg which is outstanding considering the size and power. Even with all season tires, the awd does great, and the vcm lock is great for really slippery conditions.

This car fits my wife well (5 ft 4) and myself (6 ft 2), there is always plenty of room, and we really like being able to see over most other vehicles. I really like the 3rd row, only takes a minute or so to set that up. We don't off road much, but for light duty it does great.

The brakes are little weak, but aftermarket pads and rotors should cure that, other than that, Honda did a pretty decent job for their 1st 8 passenger suv.