Used 2003 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Best value out there, great vehicle.
By StingrayJG

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV w/ Leather and Navigation System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle is priced GREAT for what you get. Edmunds TMV is more for Envoy, MDX, RX300, & Pathfinder. (and no nav. in Envoy or Pathfinder) Very smooth & quiet ride. Plenty of power. Cargo Tray & All-Season Floormats are key options for cleanliness. I love the truck but my gripe w/ Honda would be to offer heated seats in U.S. not just Canada. It gets cold here too, ya know! Driver seat memory & telescopic wheel needed. (Me=6ft, wife=5'2") Overall though, I love it, 110% glad I got it.

Favorite Features

Nav. system, climate control, dual trip odometers, steering wheel controls, built-in garage remote, power drivers seat, lots of storage, multiple cig. lighter plugs for devices. Lots of cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

Don't force leather to get nav, heated seats in U.S., telescopic wheel, seat memory, adjustable 2nd row seat positioning.

Disappointed with Honda Pilot
By dsignmark

I sold my Honda Pilot EX with Navagation 3 months after I purchased the vehicle. Got poor gas milage. Fit & finish was not up to Honda standards. Also was disappointed that a factory sunroof was not available. I previously had a 1999 Lexus RX 300. The RX 300 Lexus was by far the best car I have ever owned & driven. I bought a new 2003 Lexus RX 300 and am much happier with this SUV. I am getting 19 MPG in the city and 23MPG on the Hwy. Also, The Lexus with more standard features (Bells & Whistles) actually cost less than the Honda Pilot as the Honda dealers do not deal on the Pilot. Once you have had a Lexus, its difficult to be happy with anything else.

Favorite Features

Navagation system was the only best feature of the Pilot

Suggested Improvements

Lack of factory Sunroof and poor fit and finish of interior Plastics. Lack of factory touch up paint for interior "fake" brushed aluminum painted plastic accent trim on center console. Exterior cladding paint was very thin and poorly painted

Ultimate Family Car/Suv/Van
By Vikas

After looking almost all kind of SUV in particular Acura MDX, ML320, X5 we finally decided for Pilot. Of course my first choice was Acura MDX but was too expensive, and luckily I got all standard features in Pilot with $10,000- 00 less. . During heavy snow this year in NY< I was driving all time and did not even had to lock differential. I even drove intentionally to parking lots that were not cleaned afer heavy snow, and due to my surprise did not stuck anywhere. Also after rigrous negotiation did not pay SINGLE dollar extra. Let me know if you are looking for right price and I will give you name of sales person at Planet Honda in NJ.

Favorite Features

8seats/ very spacious/ Excellent leg space for me(6'2") and for everyone in family as everyone is tall. Lot of space when 3rd seat is down.

Suggested Improvements

Should include some option for: 1/memeory setting for seats/mirrors. 2/Sunroof 3/Heated Seats 4/split lift gate 4/HID lights

7 months of Pilot
By Steven H.

2003 Honda Pilot SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great pick-up; nice handling; comfortable for driver and passengers.Holds nicely in snow. Needs auto opening, lighted cruise bottons steering wheel radio controls.

Favorite Features

Engine...

Suggested Improvements

auto opening; lighted cruise bottons; radio controls on steering wheel.

Awesome Vehicle
By stevelaura33

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Pilot is an awesome vehicle. The ride is smooth and the vehicle is quick. It is very roomy inside, much more roominess than Explorers/Mountaineers. I highly recommend purchasing the cargo tray as an acessory. Its great to provide extra protection for the cargo area when hauling or taking stuff. I have already filled the cargo area with 40 lbs bags of topsoil, so I know the usefulness of cargo tray. I really believe that this car is a steal at 28, 29k for the Ex model. We looked at the highlander, which was smaller, more expensive and you got less for your money. I would have paid 34k for a vehicle like this.

Favorite Features

For all people in NY or elsewhere where the demand is high and the prices are a deal at MSRP. Look into purchasing out of state and having it shipped via car carrier.

Suggested Improvements

I bought mine in Ohio, had it shipped for like $359, on a car carrier, and saved about 2k from wat I would have paid in New York and got the vehicle in less than a week. Don't let these NY dealers fool you. Check out the message board on edmunds.com.