Used 2003 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews - 852 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

A Great SUV without the bulk
By mcm

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this is may of 2006 for 18k with 34k miles on it. I replaced the tires and brakes, along with fixing the rear a/c ($50) and 5 minutes of my time to install the new part. My wife primarily drives this car, and she has really enjoyed it. It has proved excellent in the snow here I despite being able to carry 8 people, this car is only slightly longer than my 98 Subaru wagon. We have taken many 1000 miles trips, and have been very impressed in the power and handling. On trips averaging 80-85 mph, we average a bit over 20 mpg which is outstanding considering the size and power. Even with all season tires, the awd does great, and the vcm lock is great for really slippery conditions.

This car fits my wife well (5 ft 4) and myself (6 ft 2), there is always plenty of room, and we really like being able to see over most other vehicles. I really like the 3rd row, only takes a minute or so to set that up. We don't off road much, but for light duty it does great.

The brakes are little weak, but aftermarket pads and rotors should cure that, other than that, Honda did a pretty decent job for their 1st 8 passenger suv.

1sthondaluvit
By pilotcopilot

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have only owned this vehicle for around a month, but love it! Replaced a worn out Mercury Sable wagon with it and never looked back. It drives impeccably and handles like a dream! Even though it has 78000 miles on it, runs like new. I have owned other Japanese vehicles in the past and loved them. This by far is the most comfortable and best handling of any!

Love the leather interior, like new and fits like a glove! The cargo space is fantastic! Not too many things I don't like except it's my wife's car and I only get to drive it on the weekends! We have gone on one long trip around 950 miles and arrived refreshed and ready to go after 15 hrs.

Better gas mileage. Better tires.

Part of the family
By tucson majic

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had A GM, wouldnÂ’t quit breaking so we went and tried the Honda Pilot. Paid sticker as there was no bartering at the time. Outstanding value for the money. Held up great as my wife is hard on vehicles. The only thing I did to it was add an aftermarket transmission cooler as we live in a hot climate. This vehicle has been that reliable that I would replace it with another. Maintaining it is easy for do it yourselfers also.

Reliablity. Comfortable

Get rid of the buffeting when you roll down the windows! When you buy a roof rack you expect to get the cross bars with it, not to pay extra for them.

Fun to drive
By dave hoffman

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is our primary family vehicle. We use this whenever the whole family goes somewhere. I love how well this vehcile rides, performs and handles at highway speeds. Very easy to handle in parking lot manuvers. Love this vehicle and will buy another one when ready.

I would like to see a richer looking interior. Some of the fit and finish looks basic.

superior to any competitor in class
By So Cal on the go

2003 Honda Pilot SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just why does anybody buy an SUV? Practical, go anywhere, looks, roomy, fun, features, price...and a few more. Without being an offroad pretender, this unit meets it all. My favorite, I never have to take my golf clubs out to run errors or pick up the kids.

Handling, room, gas mileage (especially during the crisis of 06)

Could look as sporty as it performs.