Used 2003 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Honda's are great
By Chonus

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great SUV. Very dependable and well built. Get 26 mpg on highway. Roomy and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had MP3 player in cd player.

Pilot is predictablily reliable
By pilot rocks

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After one year ownership no problems at all. Not even minor. Safe, rides great, plenty of power and room for kids, parents and grandparents.

Favorite Features

looks

Suggested Improvements

none

Trashy Transmission
By Pilot Problem

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Warning: Do not but Honda Pilot with V6 and auto tranny. My tranny went out after warranty went out. Even dealer told me that there was a problem with the Pilot and the V6 with auto tranny. A $2500 fix for me. I am a disabled veteran and live on a fixed income. Bought Pilot expecting to get about 250,000 miles out of it. What a joke. If you buy, plan on trading before power train warranty runs out. Do not end up with the same problem that I did. Warning. Do not buy Honda Pilot with V6 and auto tranny.

Favorite Features

Eight seats that fold and lots of storage. Room for everybody, if the tranny would hold up.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission

Transmission Problems
By Disappointed

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I would not recommend the Honda Pilot to anyone that intends on keeping the vehicle for a long time. My transmission went at 101,000 miles and the maintenance had always been done by the book. Looking at $2500 to replace transmission. Once repaired, I will make sure that it belongs to someone else within a few days. Will not buy another Honda. I have owned a couple of Honda Accords and they were good cars. The Pilot Sux. Wanted something bigger because I am a disabled veteran with leg injuries and needed the extra leg room. If you but a Pilot, you had better buy the triple super duper extended warranty with it, because you will have transmission problems.

Favorite Features

None over any other SUV of its size...

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission, or, extend warranty to cover transmission and drive train to 100,000 miles.

A Great SUV without the bulk
By mcm

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this is may of 2006 for 18k with 34k miles on it. I replaced the tires and brakes, along with fixing the rear a/c ($50) and 5 minutes of my time to install the new part. My wife primarily drives this car, and she has really enjoyed it. It has proved excellent in the snow here I despite being able to carry 8 people, this car is only slightly longer than my 98 Subaru wagon. We have taken many 1000 miles trips, and have been very impressed in the power and handling. On trips averaging 80-85 mph, we average a bit over 20 mpg which is outstanding considering the size and power. Even with all season tires, the awd does great, and the vcm lock is great for really slippery conditions.

Favorite Features

This car fits my wife well (5 ft 4) and myself (6 ft 2), there is always plenty of room, and we really like being able to see over most other vehicles. I really like the 3rd row, only takes a minute or so to set that up. We don't off road much, but for light duty it does great.

Suggested Improvements

The brakes are little weak, but aftermarket pads and rotors should cure that, other than that, Honda did a pretty decent job for their 1st 8 passenger suv.