Used 2003 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

2003 Pilot Falling Apart
By Disgusted Pilot Owne

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2003 Pilot EX-L with RES with 79,000 miles. Gradually, the thing is falling apart. After 3 years, the A/C broke. Shortly after that, 2 door locks broke. The quality of the leather is terrible. The driver's side visor mirror cover broke. The plastic on the bottom side of the driver's side broke off. One of the rear A/C vents broke. The car is even starting to rust right in the middle of the passenger's side door for no apparent reason! This is unbelievable! When I speak to Honda about these issues, they say they have never heard of such problems. However, I am finding by reading online that my problems are quite common. What has happened to Honda's quality?

Favorite Features

Can't think of any!

Suggested Improvements

Better quality all around, like Honda used to be known for. Quieter, smoother ride would also be nice.

I would never purchase Honda Pilot
By irelands

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The heating /cooling ventilation system is poor, bad circulation, side windows ice up inside during driving to ski resorts. Car seats 7 passengers and one driver, but windows fog up all around vehicle interior with only three passengers. Seats are built so close together, impossible to get fingers down to floor level to retrieve dropped coins, credit cards, vacuum crumbs etc, hard to clean carpets as nozzle does not fit in such tight spaces where seats are anchored. Plastic in vehicle is poor quality, breaks easily. Had number of factory recalls for safety restraint systems, All in all, a poorly-designed car.

Favorite Features

Good quality leather seats, no cracking or splitting. Good quality CD and DVD player,

Suggested Improvements

Use better quality plastic for vehicle, interior and exterior. Provide option for heated front and rear seats, Provide option for heated wing mirrors, improve air flow inside vehicle. Design seats with more space in between, to facilitate room for vacuum nozzle and American-sized human hand !

Never a problem
By kate

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car coming from owning a Toyota Sienna Van. I had owned Toyotas for years and years and was nervous to switch, but the third row seat sold me. I have never had a problem with this car in 5 years. I have replaced the tires and the battery, and probably need brakes, but nothing has ever broken down on it. It is roomy, even in the third row. I have had 8 adults in this car several times and everyone survived. The interior was well thought out. I'd own another Honda. (I only wish it had rear camera or sensors. - My Honda has a dent in the back hatch.)

Favorite Features

cup holders, storage for junk, second row middle console, reliability!, comfy for a 'truck', great ride.

Suggested Improvements

Rear camera or sensor, I took out the 3rd row headrests because they blocked my rear view, The only thing I could complain about is that the gas tank sloshes loudly when full (rarely now) and mileage is 15-20 mpg.

Excellent Ride!
By Proudmom

2003 Honda Pilot SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had a ford explorer before but the Honda Pilot is better by far. It has more room and it rides smoothly. I am so glad I bought this car.

Favorite Features

The room and the smooth ride.

Dissatisfied Pilot Owner
By scoot3

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Most everything is OK with the Pilot with the exception of the transmission. I would strongly recommend that anyone buying a Pilot to plan on trading the Pilot before the power train warranty runs out. If not, you will be facing a $2500 fix. Pilot had a transmission recall but it was not a very good fix. Also radio and CD player are poor quality. Had to replace.

Favorite Features

Plenty of room for passengers and storage.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, Transmission, Transmission - Radio, Radio, Radio