2003 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
Honda's are great
By Chonus on 06/13/08 20:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great SUV. Very dependable and well built. Get 26 mpg on highway. Roomy and comfortable.

Pilot is predictablily reliable
By pilot rocks on 05/30/08 23:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After one year ownership no problems at all. Not even minor. Safe, rides great, plenty of power and room for kids, parents and grandparents.

Trashy Transmission
By Pilot Problem on 05/04/08 14:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Warning: Do not but Honda Pilot with V6 and auto tranny. My tranny went out after warranty went out. Even dealer told me that there was a problem with the Pilot and the V6 with auto tranny. A $2500 fix for me. I am a disabled veteran and live on a fixed income. Bought Pilot expecting to get about 250,000 miles out of it. What a joke. If you buy, plan on trading before power train warranty runs out. Do not end up with the same problem that I did. Warning. Do not buy Honda Pilot with V6 and auto tranny.

Transmission Problems
By Disappointed on 04/17/08 17:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I would not recommend the Honda Pilot to anyone that intends on keeping the vehicle for a long time. My transmission went at 101,000 miles and the maintenance had always been done by the book. Looking at $2500 to replace transmission. Once repaired, I will make sure that it belongs to someone else within a few days. Will not buy another Honda. I have owned a couple of Honda Accords and they were good cars. The Pilot Sux. Wanted something bigger because I am a disabled veteran with leg injuries and needed the extra leg room. If you but a Pilot, you had better buy the triple super duper extended warranty with it, because you will have transmission problems.

A Great SUV without the bulk
By mcm on 04/17/08 13:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this is may of 2006 for 18k with 34k miles on it. I replaced the tires and brakes, along with fixing the rear a/c ($50) and 5 minutes of my time to install the new part. My wife primarily drives this car, and she has really enjoyed it. It has proved excellent in the snow here I despite being able to carry 8 people, this car is only slightly longer than my 98 Subaru wagon. We have taken many 1000 miles trips, and have been very impressed in the power and handling. On trips averaging 80-85 mph, we average a bit over 20 mpg which is outstanding considering the size and power. Even with all season tires, the awd does great, and the vcm lock is great for really slippery conditions.

1sthondaluvit
By pilotcopilot on 07/19/07 10:06 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have only owned this vehicle for around a month, but love it! Replaced a worn out Mercury Sable wagon with it and never looked back. It drives impeccably and handles like a dream! Even though it has 78000 miles on it, runs like new. I have owned other Japanese vehicles in the past and loved them. This by far is the most comfortable and best handling of any!

Part of the family
By tucson majic on 07/14/07 11:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had A GM, wouldnÂ’t quit breaking so we went and tried the Honda Pilot. Paid sticker as there was no bartering at the time. Outstanding value for the money. Held up great as my wife is hard on vehicles. The only thing I did to it was add an aftermarket transmission cooler as we live in a hot climate. This vehicle has been that reliable that I would replace it with another. Maintaining it is easy for do it yourselfers also.

Fun to drive
By dave hoffman on 05/06/07 15:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is our primary family vehicle. We use this whenever the whole family goes somewhere. I love how well this vehcile rides, performs and handles at highway speeds. Very easy to handle in parking lot manuvers. Love this vehicle and will buy another one when ready.

superior to any competitor in class
By So Cal on the go on 02/10/07 10:18 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Pilot LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just why does anybody buy an SUV? Practical, go anywhere, looks, roomy, fun, features, price...and a few more. Without being an offroad pretender, this unit meets it all. My favorite, I never have to take my golf clubs out to run errors or pick up the kids.

nice car but buyers beware
By Reinaldo Davila on 02/01/07 18:37 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Pilot LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car runs great, love the interior except for the consoles. Gas mileage is horrible I feed this baby once a week. Problem with dampness/wetness on the carpeting from drivers side and passengers side. Had it serviced twice. So buyers beware, have it serviced by a mechanic before you purchase a used Pilot.