2003 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
2003 Pilot Transmission Failure
By DownSouth on 08/27/10 21:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV w/ Leather and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought certified pre-owned in 2005 with 30K miles. Bought extended warranty. Paid off last month and warranty ran out 8-9-2010, trans failed 8-23-2010. No help from warranty but Honda paid 25%. Picked up today and drove 1/4 mile and it made a grinding noise with ABS and VTM lights coming on. Waiting on Monday. All dealer service since purchased.

Seven Years
By geokeller on 07/27/10 13:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall performance is very good. AWD is excellent in wet and snow covered roads. After installing a K & N air filter highway mileage is as high as 25 mpg. What I do not like is the quality. Chromed door handles started peeling at 50,000 miles. Exterior paint marks up easily. Many little things continue to go wrong. My next SUV will not be a Honda.

Consumer Rating
By Pao Y. Her on 07/05/10 22:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV w/ Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2003 Honda Pilot as brand new, since now it still runs like a brand new car. It has not problem what so ever. Everything is still original except the tires and brake pads. This car is the most dependable and reliable car I have ever seen.

Saved My Husband's Life
By KenziesMom on 06/09/10 19:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV w/ Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My husband bought me a 2003 Honda Pilot EXL for Mother's day. We had just had a baby and I was driving a 2002 Mustang and needed something I felt would be safer. We had no major problems. The engine mounts had to be replaced and the transmission was beginning to act a little squirrelly. However, my husband wrecked it before we were able to get the transmission checked out. He fell asleep behind the wheel on the way home from work (oil field) and went off into a steep ditch hitting a concrete embankment which caused the Pilot to roll twice landing upside down when finished. My husband was not buckled and ended up in the back by the cargo door. He WALKED away with NO INJURIES. Thank you Honda!

Incredible Impressed!
By MassSnowMan on 01/18/10 09:51 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2003 Honda new and have close to 200,000 miles on the car. It is still going strong and we've had no problems. We have done all of the recommended maintenance as outlined in the Honda owners manual (oil changes, brakes, engine tune ups, etc.) The car has been great in the snow and with good tire tread(all season radials), we have had NO problems thus far. Reliability has been exceptional. The interior has held up fairly well after the wear and tear of three kids. Our oldest child is now driving and this car will probably be driven "into the ground" by her. Our experience has been so good that we are looking at the 2010 Pilot! Overall, we're happy with our Honda Pilot!

Excllent SUV
By debijo on 01/16/10 13:46 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV w/ Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Honda Pilot! It is a great SUV and very reliable. I have 140,000 miles without any problems! Except for the mpgs, I am spoiled driving my SUV. The only problem I can say I have with it is that I don't want to drive anything else now! I would and do personally recommend this vehicle to anyone, from two people to 5 adults and 3 children.

So glad I bought
By thollis on 12/01/09 11:09 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV w/ Leather (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle with the intent that it would be my daughter's first vehicle after she turned 16 this year and I would upgrade. This past week my daughter had her first accident which was a roll over. I cannot tell you how glad I am I bought this vehicle. It did everything it should have to protect her. Everyone including the insurance adjuster has commented on what a great job the support system in this truck did in protecting my child. Thank you Honda.

luv it
By hapeinTN on 08/11/09 07:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it used in 03 with 77k and have never looked back. It's the only car I have ever owned that I can actually drive all day and not have back and leg fatigue. It has performed flawlessly. After hearing others who owned Honda's, rant and rave about their reliability, I now have to agree with them. Two years later and 35000 miles, no issues! Our last car was a Sable wagon which by the same mileage was on it's second tranny and numerous other issues. Thanks Honda for providing such wonderful vehicles with such outstanding value!

2003 Pilot - 7 yrs old
By Kristin on 07/23/09 11:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car for 7 years and like all Hondas, it's been super reliable. I had to replace the stereo a year ago (it broke for no reason). It was $1000 to replace, so I bought an aftermarket, but the steering wheel controls won't work with it now. The interior door handle was plastic with "metal tape" over it and it was peeling, so I had to replace it. I hate the removable headrests for the 2nd/3rd row seats (big pain), but they've redesigned them in 2009. Overall it's been a great car and I'm buying another Pilot now (2010), which is even better designed. I love Hondas!

Transmission Failed
By Steve on 07/08/09 18:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Having owned and driven multiple Honda Accords since a 1979 model, I was expecting a similar non-eventful and reliable experience with a 2003 Pilot that was purchased used. But the transmission has just failed at 140k miles. Sadly, this is standard for the Honda Pilot if you quickly glance around the internet. The same problem extends to other Honda models with the V6: the Accord, Odyssey, and Acura TL. These and other Honda transmission issues have been subject of numerous recalls and class action suits over the years. I am otherwise a Honda fan and enjoy the Pilot, but this one reliability issues is a serious shortcoming that anyone purchasing must be financially prepared for.