Used 2003 Honda Pilot EX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

This car performed better than our 2003 lexus RX300
By taxpayer41

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife always liked her pilot better than my RX300. Both are 2003. I traded my lexus after 10 years ln 2013 for a Camry Hybrid, as we no longer need 2 SUV's in the family, and she didn't want to give up her Pilot. We have spent little or no additional money on the car and it now has 111,000 miles and going strong. I have to say, this car is a good buy. She still doesn't want to trade it, but we've been looking for new car that has an automatic lift gate for her. Maybe now?

Favorite Features

We've had this car for 11 years now. Lots of room. Great turning radius. Decent gas mileage. leather heated seats. Never fails to start and go. Easy to drive with better than most visability. Long lasting. No problems. Bought it at Malkoon Motors. Good place to buy a used car.

Suggested Improvements

None! The Pilot does everything an SUV needs to do and does it well.

Mine was a very Reliable Car
By warrenam47

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I live in the mountains of NC. The roads are very dangerous here, esp. in the winter. I test drove my Pilot in a snow storm, and bought it for its size and great gas mileage. i Never got stuck in the snow. and i drove this past winter for an hour from boone to beech mountain Everyday. nothing, and i mean nothing ever went wrong in the car. the only things i spent money on were literally break pads and a few oil changes. it was at 125k when i recently hit a deer going 70mph and its now totaled and im now heartbroken. there seems to be something seriously wrong with every SUV i consider to replace my pilot with. i loved luxury cars but now im feeling more sensible... and a grille guard is ness

Favorite Features

gas mileage for the size size pockets for everything ability to drive in snow third row seating charger inside center console

Suggested Improvements

towing capabilities cool factor ( outside ) make it more bad @ss

Just Love IT!
By Smiley

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought mine this weekend and I love it. It has 139,000 miles on it but the guy took care of it and has all the paper work down to every oil change. It rides very well.

Favorite Features

Driver seat I can sit up tall to see without the sun being in my eye.

Suggested Improvements

mpg

Seven Years
By geokeller

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall performance is very good. AWD is excellent in wet and snow covered roads. After installing a K & N air filter highway mileage is as high as 25 mpg. What I do not like is the quality. Chromed door handles started peeling at 50,000 miles. Exterior paint marks up easily. Many little things continue to go wrong. My next SUV will not be a Honda.

Favorite Features

Handling in wet and snow covered roads is excellent. When driving snow it is easy to forget about the snow. It is easy to drive, especially for an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Need to improve quality of interior as well as exterior paint.

Incredible Impressed!
By MassSnowMan

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2003 Honda new and have close to 200,000 miles on the car. It is still going strong and we've had no problems. We have done all of the recommended maintenance as outlined in the Honda owners manual (oil changes, brakes, engine tune ups, etc.) The car has been great in the snow and with good tire tread(all season radials), we have had NO problems thus far. Reliability has been exceptional. The interior has held up fairly well after the wear and tear of three kids. Our oldest child is now driving and this car will probably be driven "into the ground" by her. Our experience has been so good that we are looking at the 2010 Pilot! Overall, we're happy with our Honda Pilot!

Favorite Features

The midsize of this SUV! It is big enough to handle most of our needs but not as big as the huge SUVs (Chevy Suburbans, GMC Yukons, Ford Expeditions, etc.) that are seen often being driven by a parent with 1-2 kids.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the car had more storage space behind the third row seat! Ceiling heat/AC vents would be great for the second and third row occupants (like the Odessey has). Make a hybrid or improve MPG please.