2003 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
This car performed better than our 2003 lexus RX300
By taxpayer41 on 05/01/14 09:21 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife always liked her pilot better than my RX300. Both are 2003. I traded my lexus after 10 years ln 2013 for a Camry Hybrid, as we no longer need 2 SUV's in the family, and she didn't want to give up her Pilot. We have spent little or no additional money on the car and it now has 111,000 miles and going strong. I have to say, this car is a good buy. She still doesn't want to trade it, but we've been looking for new car that has an automatic lift gate for her. Maybe now?

Mine was a very Reliable Car
By warrenam47 on 09/23/12 18:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I live in the mountains of NC. The roads are very dangerous here, esp. in the winter. I test drove my Pilot in a snow storm, and bought it for its size and great gas mileage. i Never got stuck in the snow. and i drove this past winter for an hour from boone to beech mountain Everyday. nothing, and i mean nothing ever went wrong in the car. the only things i spent money on were literally break pads and a few oil changes. it was at 125k when i recently hit a deer going 70mph and its now totaled and im now heartbroken. there seems to be something seriously wrong with every SUV i consider to replace my pilot with. i loved luxury cars but now im feeling more sensible... and a grille guard is ness

Just Love IT!
By Smiley on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought mine this weekend and I love it. It has 139,000 miles on it but the guy took care of it and has all the paper work down to every oil change. It rides very well.

Seven Years
By geokeller on 07/27/10 13:33 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall performance is very good. AWD is excellent in wet and snow covered roads. After installing a K & N air filter highway mileage is as high as 25 mpg. What I do not like is the quality. Chromed door handles started peeling at 50,000 miles. Exterior paint marks up easily. Many little things continue to go wrong. My next SUV will not be a Honda.

Incredible Impressed!
By MassSnowMan on 01/18/10 09:51 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2003 Honda new and have close to 200,000 miles on the car. It is still going strong and we've had no problems. We have done all of the recommended maintenance as outlined in the Honda owners manual (oil changes, brakes, engine tune ups, etc.) The car has been great in the snow and with good tire tread(all season radials), we have had NO problems thus far. Reliability has been exceptional. The interior has held up fairly well after the wear and tear of three kids. Our oldest child is now driving and this car will probably be driven "into the ground" by her. Our experience has been so good that we are looking at the 2010 Pilot! Overall, we're happy with our Honda Pilot!

luv it
By hapeinTN on 08/11/09 07:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it used in 03 with 77k and have never looked back. It's the only car I have ever owned that I can actually drive all day and not have back and leg fatigue. It has performed flawlessly. After hearing others who owned Honda's, rant and rave about their reliability, I now have to agree with them. Two years later and 35000 miles, no issues! Our last car was a Sable wagon which by the same mileage was on it's second tranny and numerous other issues. Thanks Honda for providing such wonderful vehicles with such outstanding value!

3 Years of Driving
By zzedo310 on 06/02/09 20:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As the title states, I've owned my 03' for 3 years. In that time, I've put 60K miles on it and drove it from AK to FL and several trips in the CONUS. No major issues. Minor issues: recommended tune-ups are costly, both the 60K mile tuneup and 90K mile tune-up were around $1000 each. To get fully installed towing package, another $1000. Drive train belt, another grand. At 100K miles, just as another owner here stated, my speaker system is going downhill. During long trips, I notice a buzzing sound coming out of the speakers. Annoying enough to shut music off. Great storage cubbies in front for maps, flashlights, etc.

2003 Pilot with 210k miles
By Bad Audio on 04/06/09 11:45 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have had mixed results with my 2003 Pilot. Have had two major transmission repairs, one covered by warranty and the other one cost me $900. HOWEVER, the biggest disappointment has been the RES (rear entertainment center). There is an annoying low frequency buzz that appears on both radio and DVD play. While it's minorly annoying on the speakers it incapacitates the wireless headphones. Unfortunately, Honda's solution is to replace the whole unit for a fee of $1700. Have mixed opinions of purchasing another Pilot.

Can't Take This Car Down
By The Tank on 03/10/09 20:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car used/certified with about 10k on. I have driven it from state to state and just love the way it drives. We have dubbed it the "TANK" because we were rear ended twice while sitting at a stand still and virtually no damage to the Honda. The cars that hit us on both occasions folded up like a slinky. Will drive this car until it falls apart. I LOVE IT.

Happy Honda Owner
By AJM on 11/16/08 20:03 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased to replace a 1997 Suburban, and have been very impressed with the vehicle. Normal maintenance and have followed Honda's recommended maintenance schedule and the vehicle continues to impress mile after mile!