2003 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
Most expensive vehicle ever!!!!
By baust on 07/05/11 05:34 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our Pilot has been family owned since new and was dealer maint. up to 80K. We bought it from her parents with 80K miles. It's hardly even needed any maint. done. I did the timing belt/waterpump/plugs @ 107K, the first brake job was done at 125K. We drive mostly highway. Here's the catch: The first transmission went out at 130K miles. Honda quoted us $3,700 to replace it with a factory reman. with a 3-year/36K warranty. We had them replace it because we didn't want to ever have to worry about it again. Now 2 years later @ 172K and the transmission needs to be replaced again. They won't cover anything because we have put 42K on it. They quoted us $4,700. Can YOU afford one? We can't.

2003 Pilot - 7 yrs old
By Kristin on 07/23/09 11:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car for 7 years and like all Hondas, it's been super reliable. I had to replace the stereo a year ago (it broke for no reason). It was $1000 to replace, so I bought an aftermarket, but the steering wheel controls won't work with it now. The interior door handle was plastic with "metal tape" over it and it was peeling, so I had to replace it. I hate the removable headrests for the 2nd/3rd row seats (big pain), but they've redesigned them in 2009. Overall it's been a great car and I'm buying another Pilot now (2010), which is even better designed. I love Hondas!

Transmission Failed
By Steve on 07/08/09 18:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Having owned and driven multiple Honda Accords since a 1979 model, I was expecting a similar non-eventful and reliable experience with a 2003 Pilot that was purchased used. But the transmission has just failed at 140k miles. Sadly, this is standard for the Honda Pilot if you quickly glance around the internet. The same problem extends to other Honda models with the V6: the Accord, Odyssey, and Acura TL. These and other Honda transmission issues have been subject of numerous recalls and class action suits over the years. I am otherwise a Honda fan and enjoy the Pilot, but this one reliability issues is a serious shortcoming that anyone purchasing must be financially prepared for.

Excellent Ride!
By Proudmom on 07/08/08 15:37 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had a ford explorer before but the Honda Pilot is better by far. It has more room and it rides smoothly. I am so glad I bought this car.

superior to any competitor in class
By So Cal on the go on 02/10/07 10:18 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just why does anybody buy an SUV? Practical, go anywhere, looks, roomy, fun, features, price...and a few more. Without being an offroad pretender, this unit meets it all. My favorite, I never have to take my golf clubs out to run errors or pick up the kids.

nice car but buyers beware
By Reinaldo Davila on 02/01/07 18:37 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car runs great, love the interior except for the consoles. Gas mileage is horrible I feed this baby once a week. Problem with dampness/wetness on the carpeting from drivers side and passengers side. Had it serviced twice. So buyers beware, have it serviced by a mechanic before you purchase a used Pilot.

Unhappy since 2003
By DLP on 01/15/07 20:22 PM (PST)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Leased my pilot the first year out, and will never do that again. I have been unhappy with this car since the first month I bought it. There are things that you don't realize in your 10- minute test drive. My biggest complaint is the extremely poor design of the driver seat -it leans back instead of supporting your head,it protrudes behind your shoulders, and there is no lower back support. I get back aches whenever I drive more than 20 minutes. Also, very little leg room for us long-legged drivers. Other problems I've had: struts were replaced after 2 years, shifts roughly going uphill, loud squeaking when backing up,front air-vents won't stay stationary. Can't wait to turn it in!

Can't wait to buy a new one!
By Peyton on 11/01/06 09:44 AM (PST)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My family and I absolutely LOVE this SUV! It's affordable and reliable, which is what I need with two young children. I bought my Pilot used, but in my opinion, Honda's don't start running good until they reach 60 k miles! One more year and I will trade my old Pilot in for an 07'. I can't wait! It has plenty of room to haul my kids' friends around in, plus some. It travels good, rides great, and I just love it! I would highly recommend the Pilot to anyone with a small or large family. It's just the right size no matter what you're doing.

Love my Pilot
By karen on 09/03/06 22:34 PM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my fourth SUV. I love just about everything about it! It rides like you are driving on a cloud with plenty of interior space, extra seating in the back, seat belts for all passengers, leather to sink into, and great handling on the road. There are only two cons I can think of. Some wind noise over 15-20mph with just one window down (when two are down, the noise is gone)....Small sliver space in front area between the console and driver and passenger seats is hard to clean. Thats it! When I get ready to sell this Pilot, I will definitely be looking at another one!!

Everything is great!!!
By Honda Pilot on 08/09/06 11:20 AM (PDT)

2003 Honda Pilot SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had no trouble with my Pilot. I have three kids and was not ready to go to a mini van so I got a Pilot. It was the best investment I have made. The Entertainment package is a must have for anyone with kids!